Trek Rail with Fox DHX2 coil

kenaiok

Feb 3, 2022
Tulsa, OK
300lbs including the bike? That's how I'm running a 650lbs spring (Rail 5 XL) and think it's pretty spot on.

It's another shock (Marzocchi Bomber CR) though.

Do you mind posting a pic of your Bomber CR? I’ve got an XL Rail 7 and really interested in getting the Bomber CR for it

I might have to get a Z1 coil for the front so I’ll be fully back in 1997!

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Does the RS Super Deluxe Coil fit the Rail (size large)? not sure if the piggy back will hit the frame at full compression?

It comes in standard fitment (none trunnion), but I guess bushings can be purchased?

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
My spring rate is 500
So if I pick a progressive spring, do I pick one that starts at 500 and progresses up to 610? Rather than a 450 to 550 progressive rate spring?

Last edited:

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Does the RS Super Deluxe Coil fit the Rail (size large)? not sure if the piggy back will hit the frame at full compression?

It comes in standard fitment (none trunnion), but I guess bushings can be purchased?

Dave I would be very interested to know this because surely the super deluxe piggy back is the same size and the MY22+ Rails that have the different Geo sure look like they could fit larger piggy backs compared to the older rails...

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Fox vs Ohlins

pro’s cons of either?

I can buy a new DHX2 with spring for £750, which I think is pretty good.

BobMtnBkr

Mar 17, 2022
Williamsburg VA
Dixie600mhz,

Agree with your assessment of the ’21 ZEB Select + found on ’21 TREK Rail 9.8XT.

Believe the ’21 Select + comes with the charger 2.1 RC (only low speed compression) and the ’21 Ultimate comes with charger 2.1 RC2 damper. Guessing the 2.1 RC2 (Ultimate) is a better damper, but not sure by how much. And now Charger3 RC2 is out for ’23. Don’t know how much better that one works either.

Just added a Vorsprung Luftcappe to the Debonair air spring side. Noticeably better, but still not good enough. Now looking at coil kits. But will save that discussion for another thread so I don’t hijack this shock thread.

Speaking of shocks – just read this thread twice and still couldn’t determine if a ‘21/’22 Fox DHX2 is compatible with my 2021 TREK Rail 9.8XT (Medium frame). Maybe 230 x 60mm stroke?

I’m thinking spring front and back is best for me.

Bob

kenaiok

Feb 3, 2022
Tulsa, OK
Marzocchi Bomber CR & Z1 Coil. There’s been some talk about whether the Bomber CR coil fits the Rail

I just made the conversion & got the Z1 Coil as well….it fits & there are no issues w/ it hitting the DT at full compression on a Size XL…it’s really close but doesn’t hit. I’m 220lbs and did a full WWE jumping from the ropes move on it w/o the coil installed and it didn’t hit

4 rides on it in the real world so far and no issues w/ it hitting the DT

Huge upgrade to how the bike (2022 Rail 7) feels on & handles the terrain compared to the RS Deluxe Select + and Domain.

So pumped to be riding like it’s 1997!

IMG_2873.jpg

Black8917

Jun 17, 2021
PNW
Just installed a super delux ultimate coil 230x65 on my 2021 9.8 with a SAR 600lb SAR spring.

It feels a little stiff. I need to ride more. I’m coming off a 2021 dhx2 with the same spring it felt softer.

Anyone try the new rockshox ultimate coil yet? Btw it clears fine on my large.

albert1060

Oct 21, 2019
Bucharest,Romania
Jade X at 60mm stroke fits a Medium Rail without hitting the down tube.
Hello. Did you tried the bike with more stroke? 62.5 or 65?
I have a 2020 Medium Carbon frame and ordered a DVO Jade X with 65 stroke. I hope it won't hit the real triangle at full compression. I can't really find info about Medium and Carbon frame.

Unobtanium

Aug 30, 2022
England
Yes...these are the FOX part numbers for the traditional eyelet type shock mounts that fit the Rail.
If your Rail originally came with the trunnion type shock, you’ll also need these items from Trek:
• upper axle - 599898
• lower axle - 599900

View attachment 53752
Does anyone know where I can get no. 24 from w529969 without paying £11.99 for one? Like WTF?

Sep 19, 2022
United Kingdom
Hi All, i have just bought a Gen 4 Trek rail in a Medium ( 9.8). I have ridden it a number of times and the standard rear shock does not seem supple enough. I am looking for some help on what coils should fit and what stroke i should go for ? What would have clearance. I have ridden a Ext storia v3 in the past. I am a heavy guy at the moment , 100kg plus so some thoughts would be welcome on what people think might be appropiate.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Hi All, i have just bought a Gen 4 Trek rail in a Medium ( 9.8). I have ridden it a number of times and the standard rear shock does not seem supple enough. I am looking for some help on what coils should fit and what stroke i should go for ? What would have clearance. I have ridden a Ext storia v3 in the past. I am a heavy guy at the moment , 100kg plus so some thoughts would be welcome on what people think might be appropiate.
Would pay you to read this thread from page 1. All the details you need, once you decide stroke then use tf tuned spring calculator for your weight

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
That thread that JP-NZ suggested is one I also recommend. It's just about covers all you can want about aftermarket shocks and especially coil shocks. I'm definitely a coil suspension rider. I've had a couple of good piggyback rear air shocks over time, but I still haven't found anything that equaled the best performance of my best coil shocks.

For my Gen 2 Rail 7, I selected a Fox DH-X2 coil shock in a 230 X 60 size...230 X 57.5 being stock. Some Rails can run longer strokes, but I wanted to stay close to the OEM stroke. It works well with my Marzocchi 170mm coil fork. I'm 205 pounds and I run a 550 spring. At your weight of about 220 pounds, I know Fox at least has springs that go high enough to accommodate you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles