Trek Rail 7 - Marzocchi Bomber CR coil shock

davem85

Feb 1, 2021
Germany

Cheers.
Already tried this one. If 156mm of wheel travel is correct (someone calculated 156 for 60mm of shock stroke) I end up at 597lbs for single pivot (which I think is correct).

Please correct me if I'm wrong....

Don't know for sure but that sounds a bit too little compared to some dudes riding 550s with only 210-225 lbs on the hips.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It's not a single pivot though, is it?

An Orange Stage is an example of a single pivot.

coregrind

Dec 16, 2020
BEAVERTON, OREGON USA
It's not a single pivot though, is it?

An Orange Stage is an example of a single pivot.

My Marino frame is another example of a single pivot design.

All of my Trek full suspension frames are examples of linkage driven single pivot designs.

None of my Trek full suspension frames are examples of a true 4-bar design.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Technicaly it may not be classified as a 4 bar, but they function very similar in all metrics. Idk but i'd wager on it using the 4 bar spring rate

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
It’s linkage driven single pivot but with another pivot point on rear axle. Trek call it APB. But this pivot does not count as a pivot for rear wheel travel.

96A1246A-BA08-4940-AEB7-A1FEF9876B80.jpeg

Trek claim it’s more active upon braking as this rear axle pivot frees up the rear movement a little under braking.

Regular Linkage driven single pivot doesn’t have this. And four bar / faux bar has a pivot point on the seat stay or chain stay.

coregrind

Dec 16, 2020
BEAVERTON, OREGON USA
Trek call it APB.
Slight correction: it’s ABP (Active Braking Pivot)
OK, so which is it for spring rate calculations?
For coil springs on my Marino and Trek, I used the single pivot number generated by TF Tuned as guidance and it was accurate. However, my spring choice for each was the Cane Creek Valt progressive rate. With a tradition spring, I’d need to move up in weight to fight bottom out. However, that would limit the amount of sag plus likely give up some of the small bump absorption.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A longer stroke shock will have a smaller difference in spring recommendations for different weight riders when comparing single pivot to 4 bar.

A shorter strong shock will have a larger difference in spring recommendations for different weight riders when comparing SP to 4 bar.

The 4 bar will normally require a heavier spring than the Single Pivot.

Depending on your setup preferences, if you want a softer ride on the 4 bar, then you're spring rate will be getting close to the recommendation for a harder ride on a Single pivot recommendation.

Without being a suspension genius, or any other type for that matter, you could just take a leap of faith and go for something in the middle with a linkage drive single pivot as the spring rate recommendations are ultimately going to be just as influenced by your ride setup/preferences.

If you'd prefer the softer side of a soft setup, choose more towards the Single Pivot recommendation. If you want it harder, choose more towards the 4 bar spring recommendation.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
For coil springs on my Marino and Trek, I used the single pivot number generated by TF Tuned as guidance and it was accurate. However, my spring choice for each was the Cane Creek Valt progressive rate. With a tradition spring, I’d need to move up in weight to fight bottom out. However, that would limit the amount of sag plus likely give up some of the small bump absorption.
And yet I used the 4 bar number and it's given me the correct sag on a linear spring.

Oldb**tard

Mar 29, 2022
I'm having a devil of a time getting info on what coil shock will fit my Rail 5, and what added mounting hardware, if any, msy be required for such mod. I'm on a L frame. Any help is appreciated. My first choice was the Zokes Bomber, but it seems that won't work according to what I've read here.

gauteplass

Sep 5, 2022
Norway
Bomber CR 62.5 on an XL Rail 5 2020 doesn't fit. It's really close but I think it'll hit the downtube when bottom out bumper gets fully compressed - doesn't hit while just putting my body weight on it however.

230x60 will most likely fit. I'm going to travel down using a nylon washer.

What springrates do you ride on you coil shocks and what's your riding weight?
I think I'm going for a cheap Fox spring first, but unsure if 600, 650 or maybe even 700.
Bomber CR 62.5 on an XL Rail 5 2020 doesn't fit. It's really close but I think it'll hit the downtube when bottom out bumper gets fully compressed - doesn't hit while just putting my body weight on it however.

230x60 will most likely fit. I'm going to travel down using a nylon washer.

What springrates do you ride on you coil shocks and what's your riding weight?
I think I'm going for a cheap Fox spring first, but unsure if 600, 650 or maybe even 700.

Sorry for The revive, but did it work? Looking to buy one for my Rail 7 2022 /Large … 57,5 or 60mm stroke -mabye if i flip The minolink?

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Bringing this back from the dead....

Ive got an option to buy a 230x60mm Bomber CR with 600lb spring for cheap. I did some calculations last night and I believe the MY22 Rail has a lot more room for the piggyback compared to the MY19-21 Rails.

Ive attached a 22 and 21 rail back to back and you can visually see the 2022 has changed the downtube angle most likely to fit the powertube 750wh.

I did some measurements last night and although the piggyback on the Bomber CR sits 20mm longer(LOWER) than the RS Super deluxe it would still leave 20mm between the bottom of the piggyback and the downtube at full 60mm shaft extension. Note from centre of the top pin to the outer edge(forward) of the Bomber CR piggyback is the same as the RS super deluxe.

I'm hoping to do a deal on the shock this week, will update this if it goes ahead.

Thanks

Rail98XT_22_35672_B_Primary.jpg Rail98XT_21_32814_B_Primary.jpg

gauteplass

Sep 5, 2022
Norway
I picked up the Bomber and spring over the weekend. I cannot believe how expensive the mounting bolts are!
Bringing this back from the dead....

Ive got an option to buy a 230x60mm Bomber CR with 600lb spring for cheap. I did some calculations last night and I believe the MY22 Rail has a lot more room for the piggyback compared to the MY19-21 Rails.

Ive attached a 22 and 21 rail back to back and you can visually see the 2022 has changed the downtube angle most likely to fit the powertube 750wh.

I did some measurements last night and although the piggyback on the Bomber CR sits 20mm longer(LOWER) than the RS Super deluxe it would still leave 20mm between the bottom of the piggyback and the downtube at full 60mm shaft extension. Note from centre of the top pin to the outer edge(forward) of the Bomber CR piggyback is the same as the RS super deluxe.

I'm hoping to do a deal on the shock this week, will update this if it goes ahead.

Thanks

View attachment 101631 View attachment 101632
Bought a Bomber CR 230x60mm some time a go for my Rail 22 Large, long story short... did not fit. Shimm'd it down to 57,5 stroke, still hit the downtube on bottomouts. Sold the Bomber, going to order the Jade X'

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Bought a Bomber CR 230x60mm some time a go for my Rail 22 Large, long story short... did not fit. Shimm'd it down to 57,5 stroke, still hit the downtube on bottomouts. Sold the Bomber, going to order the Jade X'
Let me guess a Rail with a 625wh battery? The 750wh Rail 9.8 and 9.9 will fit easy as. I've already test fitted my bomber coil. About 20mm clearance from the downtube at full compression.

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
I have a 2022 Rail 9.8 and a 2020 Rail 7. So in summary a Bomber CR 230x60 will fit the 2022 9.8 but not the 2020 7?

I am hoping to not use any Sram products.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
I have a 2022 Rail 9.8 and a 2020 Rail 7. So in summary a Bomber CR 230x60 will fit the 2022 9.8 but not the 2020 7?

I am hoping to not use any Sram products.
Correct. 9.8 with 750wh battery will fit a Bomber CR 230x60. Ive only test fitted mine, its winter here now and I hate nothing more than riding in mud and cleaning the mess afterwards

HeyHey

Jan 9, 2024
Sweden
I was reluctant to start a new thread before trying to get an answer here. New guy here so maybe thats wrong.

Anyway - I have a Rail 5 -21 size L. Is it possible in any way to fit a ´Zocchi cr coil on that one?
No need to increase travel even though it would be nice.
Thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles