Rail (625Wh) Trek Rail mullet BB height?

raf

May 7, 2020
UK
I'm keen to mullet my 2022 Rail 9 alloy but am concerned about the low BB height that might result. I suffered several pedal strike related crashes on my old Vitus e-sommet.

The geo chart states BB height of 344mm in high position. Swapping to a 27.5 rear wheel will drop the BB around 13mm apparently giving 331mm BB height which on paper is very low compared to other bikes. Has anyone else run mullet and if so has the BB height been an issue? Sounds like I could do a couple of things to try and remedy it - 155mm cranks could be an option though this would not help when it comes to cracking the motor on rocks which I have done many times on my vitus. Upping the Zeb to 170mm could claw back a few mm of BB perhaps too? Oh and a final option is running a bigger tyre out back but I'm really not a fan of high volume tyres.

Thanks
Dan

raf

May 7, 2020
UK
Glad to hear its working for you :) That BB height of 344 was already in the high position which is not exactly high compare to other manufacturers. The 2022 Levo has 344mm BB with the flipchip in low position though I guess that is already a mullet so perhaps not comparing like for like.

This mulleting is going to end up quite expensive with new cranks, air shaft and wheel :/

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
theres a rail mullet thread dwn here somewhere. I've put some measurements before & after on it. Absolute game changer for me

Overkillit

Aug 23, 2022
Downingtown
Late response - I had a 2018 Trek Fuel EX and the BB height was 334 mm and had 175 cranks. I had to sell it because all I did was strike rocks and roots - great bike but the geometry was wrong for the trails around me. My riding became a game of avoiding the rocks and roots. My Levo has 160 mm cranks and a BB height of 350 mm and I'm back to confidently pedaling over the rough stuff. I know it's all personal preference but wanted to chime in since I've been on two different bikes with a significant difference in clearance.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles