Rail mullet wheel and tyre widths

LowStandards

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
I'm about to buy some new wheels and tyres but as always could do with some advice

I'm going 27.5 up the rear, Hope Fortus wheels

The question is do I stick with the 35mm id rim or go for the 30mm id? Or a mix of the 2?

Next tyres, What widths would you recommend running front and rear using this setup?

Last edited:

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
I'm about to buy some new wheels and tyres but as always could do with some advice

I'm going 27.5 up the rear, Hope Fortus wheels

The question is do I stick with the 35mm id rim or go for the 30mm id? Or a mix of the 2?

Next tyres, What widths would you recommend running front and rear using this setup?
I'm considering doing the same on my Rail so am wondering if you've made your choices yet. If so, are you happy with the new set up?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I ran either a 2.6 or 2.8 on the rear on a 40mm rim with a 2.6 up front, also on a 30mm rim. I'm running the 40mm rim because that's what I had in the shed. I'll be buying a set of 30mm wheels soon and running 2.4-2.6 on the rear and 2.5-2.6 on the front.

Today, for shits and giggles, I'm running a 27.5 on the front with a 2.8 tyre, again because it's what I've got in the shed.

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
I ran either a 2.6 or 2.8 on the rear on a 40mm rim with a 2.6 up front, also on a 30mm rim. I'm running the 40mm rim because that's what I had in the shed. I'll be buying a set of 30mm wheels soon and running 2.4-2.6 on the rear and 2.5-2.6 on the front.

Today, for shits and giggles, I'm running a 27.5 on the front with a 2.8 tyre, again because it's what I've got in the shed.
Interesting, thanks for the info.
I'm toying with the idea of Hope hubs/rims and was looking at Fortus 35 but open to the 30s as well.

I've just tried 2.8 tyres on 27.5 rims both front and rear too as I had them lying around.
I actually quite liked it, maybe I should make it permanent! :)

So, not sure yet what to spend my cash on but am having trouble finding my preferred possible choices in stock anywhere.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I actually quite liked it,
Me too. The test was cut short by my 2054 mile old chain snapped. At the bottom of the hill. ?

Chain replaced ready for another, longer, test tomorrow.

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
Me too. The test was cut short by my 2054 mile old chain snapped. At the bottom of the hill. ?

Chain replaced ready for another, longer, test tomorrow.
Oh, unlucky but glad you're ready to go again!

I've changed back to original 29er for a long route tomorrow but only because the freehub bearings on the 27.5 are not in good condition and I wouldn't trust them to survive.

I don't know all the implications regarding the Rail's geometry being screwed up if 27.5+ both ends was made permanent though, I'd probably be inclined to ride it anyway, even if experts said it was 'all wrong'. :)
Another consideration would be the software settings, I guess they would have to be changed to account for the smaller wheel.
Have you done that with yours?

Would be interested to hear how your ride tomorrow goes and if you think it would be a bad idea to keep it that way.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My bike has been mulletted for a year. I had the wheel size changed in the software by the LBS when I first did it.
I don't know all the implications regarding the Rail's geometry being screwed up if 27.5+ both ends was made permanent though, I'd probably be inclined to ride it anyway, even if experts said it was 'all wrong'.
Well, Gary said it would be OK...

The biggest change is the BB height and the trail will be reduced slightly too. All the other dimensions will remain the same.

I'm running a 2021 170mm airshaft in my forks, so the front end is probably 15-20mm higher than stock (ignoring the wheel change) and the MinoLink is currently in the high position.

LowStandards

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
I did go ahead and mullet my Rail

I chose 30mm rims over the 40mm it came with, I can’t say I notice much difference, tyres will no doubt be slightly rounder?

2.6 all round

I went for Hope Pro4 hubs on Spank Vibrocore 359 rims, mino link in high, standard 160mm fork atm

The BB is lower by 9mm; you will hit the pedals more if you don’t read the trail.

It's worth it, I'm not very tall at 5 foot 7 (and a half) and the 29 felt huge

I've yet to get the wheel size changed in the software. I have measured and inputted the circumference in the Kiox and it indicates it cuts out at 16.6mph, which is no doubt a lie.

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
I did go ahead and mullet my Rail

I chose 30mm rims over the 40mm it came with, I can’t say I notice much difference, tyres will no doubt be slightly rounder?

2.6 all round

I went for Hope Pro4 hubs on Spank Vibrocore 359 rims, mino link in high, standard 160mm fork atm

The BB is lower by 9mm; you will hit the pedals more if you don’t read the trail.

It's worth it, I'm not very tall at 5 foot 7 (and a half) and the 29 felt huge

I've yet to get the wheel size changed in the software. I have measured and inputted the circumference in the Kiox and it indicates it cuts out at 16.6mph, which is no doubt a lie.
Thanks for the reply, info and feedback.

I thought I’d order Hope rims and the Pro4 hubs but there's a lengthy wait just now and, although I’ve found stock of a DT Swiss Wheelset using their 370 hub, I’ll probably hold out for the Hope option.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've been talking to Andy from Scrub Wheels www.scrubwheels.com and he recommended DT Swiss HX531 rims on Bitex BX211 hubs with black Sapim Race spokes for £465. No stock til June or July though, but I'm not in a rush as I want to put more time on the 27.5 front before deciding what to do.

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
I've been talking to Andy from Scrub Wheels www.scrubwheels.com and he recommended DT Swiss HX531 rims on Bitex BX211 hubs with black Sapim Race spokes for £465. No stock til June or July though, but I'm not in a rush as I want to put more time on the 27.5 front before deciding what to do.
Ha...Thanks for that....more choice, more 'research', more decisions, exactly what I need! :)

Did you go out yesterday with the 27.5 front?
Obviously giving you serious food for thought as you'd probably have rejected it by now as a full time possibility.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yes, but it wasn't a good ride for a different reason. I've (hopefully) fixed the issue ready for Saturday where I'll give it another go.

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
Well, I've had a stroke of good luck for a change!

I've secured a good condition used 27.5 Hope Rim and Pro4 Hub for the rear, so that'll give me something to be getting on with, and I always have my old front 27.5 whenever I want that setup too.

And to think this really only started because I wanted to somehow upgrade to a better freehub as the Rail 5's original is a bit delicate (on my second already). The money we spend, eh? :)

Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions, I hope Doomanic will still update his thoughts on the 'wee wheels' experiment.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Interesting, thanks for the info.
I'm toying with the idea of Hope hubs/rims and was looking at Fortus 35 but open to the 30s as well.

I've just tried 2.8 tyres on 27.5 rims both front and rear too as I had them lying around.
I actually quite liked it, maybe I should make it permanent! :)

So, not sure yet what to spend my cash on but am having trouble finding my preferred possible choices in stock anywhere.
Sorry too drag up an old post but , i was just reading through and saw your post on 27.5 front and rear
Did you keep it or what did you end up running if you dont mind me asking
I just have them in my garage sitting around like you :)
Maybe worth a punt or leaving them hanging up in the garage ?
Cheers

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
Sorry too drag up an old post but , i was just reading through and saw your post on 27.5 front and rear
Did you keep it or what did you end up running if you dont mind me asking
I just have them in my garage sitting around like you :)
Maybe worth a punt or leaving them hanging up in the garage ?
Cheers
Yes, I have kept both 27.5 wheels on the bike and at the moment am using 2.6 tyres.
Suits my style of riding and I actually prefer the look of the bike with the smaller wheels. :cool:
I have also set the Mino Link to the high position.

Give it a try, I'd say! :)

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Yes, I have kept both 27.5 wheels on the bike and at the moment am using 2.6 tyres.
Suits my style of riding and I actually prefer the look of the bike with the smaller wheels. :cool:
I have also set the Mino Link to the high position.

Give it a try, I'd say! :)
Thanks
ive always been a smaller wheeled person i will definitely give it a whirl
Thanks again for getting back to me.
:)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles