Rail (625Wh) Rail Mullet - Micro Spline question

Aug 20, 2020
New Zealand
Hey guys, I'm looking to replace the original 29" rear wheel on my 2020 rail and go 27.5". The original Bontrager hub has micro spline and my question is, if I'm purchasing a new rear wheel am I limited to just getting one with a micro spline hub so I don't need to change cassette (SLX) etc?

The wheel I'm looking at getting is the DT-Swiss E1900 - if anyone has experience with these rims please let me know.

thanks!

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Hi
dt swiss wheels are generally good
As for the freewheel its up to you obviously you will need a matching cassette whichever hub you go for or just stick with a shimano spline hub .

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hi
dt swiss wheels are generally good
As for the freewheel its up to you obviously you will need a matching cassette whichever hub you go for or just stick with a shimano spline hub .
..........and you would be better off with the HX series DT Swiss wheels.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
some wheels come only with an xd driver but will have a microspline option available, so in that sense a bit limited

Aug 20, 2020
New Zealand
Thanks for the info guys. Think I'm going to go with the Nukeproof Horizon V2 wheels from CRC as the reviews are excellent and getting two wheels is cheaper (£320 shipped to NZ) than rebuilding a rear with a decent rim using my existing hub. Unfortunately they don't sell them as a mullet option but I can always sell/use the front at some point.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
The horizon V2 is basically a Spank Hex hub so a decent hub with 3.5deg engagement, way better than original hub.

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Thanks for the info guys. Think I'm going to go with the Nukeproof Horizon V2 wheels from CRC as the reviews are excellent and getting two wheels is cheaper (£320 shipped to NZ) than rebuilding a rear with a decent rim using my existing hub. Unfortunately they don't sell them as a mullet option but I can always sell/use the front at some point.
How are the wheels going? Had the freehub off to check the splines?

Aug 20, 2020
New Zealand
Just using the rear 27.5" but so far so good. Haven't taken the freehub off but seems to be a quality product. I'd upgraded my previous bontrager hub to 108 and this sounds pretty similar.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles