Trek Rail 9 medium - attaching a Magicshine light external battery dilemma

Dhmorelia

May 5, 2021
Australia
Hi everyone,
I've recently purchased a MONTEER 8000S GALAXY V2.0 light and I need to find a solution to attaching the external battery to my Trek Rail 9 ( 2021 medium) .

The problem I have is that I want to retain my bottle cage and this doesn't leave any room to attach the ext battery under the bike's top tube. Fyi I also don't want to attach it to the top of the top tube as I'm sure it will get in the way.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for mounting the battery? Is there a way to mount it securely to the handle bars or stem?

Any suggestions would be appreciated otherwise I might need to look at a light solution that doesn't have an ext battery.

Thanks in advance.

Zorg

May 5, 2021
I
Why not use the internal e-bike battery ? There is a cable there just for that, you just need to connect the correct end terminal to it.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
The internal battery won't run that beast, you might have to put up with mounting on top of the top tube with Velcro straps and some rubber to stop it sliding about.

I prefer to keep my lighting separate, so if anything goes wrong I can still see/people can still see me.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
True. Forgot about the wattage cutoff.

8000lm ? This will be like a new sun.
Take that output with a hefty pinch of salt. I haven't seen any tests of that exact light, but looking at the size of the housing, the LED's used, the battery etc expect about 5-6000 lumens at turn on dropping slowly to probably 3500 ish after a few mins. Either way, you won't know what to do with the amount of light. 😁

The best thing about 'blowtorch' lights as I call them is at lower power levels they are REALLY effeicient.

Matt Seabrook

Jun 9, 2018
St Austell Cornwall
I attach my battery to the top tube and cut up an old tube to wrap around the top tube to stop it moving and protect the bike.. The light is brighter than anything else I have seen including exposure. The battery lasts ok if you remember to drop the power down when you dont need it. Even on the low settings its bright. I have a Halfords Bike Hut 1600Lm light on my helmet and the combo works well.

BigMark

E*POWAH Master
Feb 10, 2020
When the battery cuts off on a Rail the light still works, the battery it is low not empty.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles