Trek Rail 9.8 GX AXS Gen3 OR Specialized Turbo Levo Comp Alloy

Egon

Aug 27, 2023
Cambridge
Hello,

Buying my first eMTB, and I'm divided! Tired of renting, ready to buy. I started with a Trek Rail 7, then went to a 9, then went to a 9.8 for the larger battery. Then I saw the Turbo Levo Comp Alloy is 1000 less. I'd actually prefer aluminum over carbon for long term durability.

Bottom Line, I could use some help. Both bike prices are in GBP and VAT exempt. First thing is buying new so I have the warranty. I'd like a Canyon but VAT-exempt purchases require that goods be sold in the UK at a physical store (not shipped from Europe).

Trying to avoid endless upgrades, I just want decent mid-spec long endurance trail bike to go explore Scotland while living in the UK.

Trek Rail 9.8 GX AXS Gen3: 5207 (Pre-ordered at this price, but not picked up, went to store to check it out)

Specialized Turbo Levo Comp Alloy: 4333 (Currently on sale at this price with VAT removed)

And before you ask, VAT exempt is not something you can sign up for. The only reason I bring it up is it beats many used prices for these bikes.

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.43.09 PM.png Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.43.26 PM.png

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Hello,

Buying my first eMTB, and I'm divided! Tired of renting, ready to buy. I started with a Trek Rail 7, then went to a 9, then went to a 9.8 for the larger battery. Then I saw the Turbo Levo Comp Alloy is 1000 less. I'd actually prefer aluminum over carbon for long term durability.
I wouldn't worry about long term durability of carbon. The frame will outlast the motor system.

I ride a Rail 9.8 XT (with GX AXS, which I love), but mine is the 2021 model so not Bosch Smart. Smart is harder to chip, if you care about that, but more pertinent is that the Rail got a LOT longer in 2022. I am 5'11" (180 cm) with a 32" (81 cm) inseam and the 2021 'L' is a great fit for me. The 2022 'L' felt too long, and the 'M' was too small. I'd definitely want to ride it and check you like the fit. Also, check every bolt, Trek Bath did a catastrophically bad job of PDI on mine.

Everything I hear about the Specialized is that they are great to ride (I ride a Specialized Enduro) and have a great warranty, which is lucky as you'll use it multiple times a year. I don't know if that's still true, but I went Trek / Bosch for that reason.

Egon

Aug 27, 2023
Cambridge
Thanks! I doubled down on the Trek Rail 9.8. The Canyon Spectral:ON CF 8 was a close close call as well.

What sold me was the ability to find a used hot-swappable 750wh battery for 400 USD. That lets me beat all of the range of any competitor - although I’m stuck carrying a 15 pound battery in my backpack or limited to the range of the car park.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles