Specialized turbo levo comp alloy 2023 range

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria
So I’m buying a new e bike. Specialized turbo levo comp alloy. Just wondering what sort of ranges can be achieved with 700 watt hr battery. And also thoughts on the bike itself , ?

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
depends where you ride and usually MTB is measured in climbing not distance.
on the flat in low assist probably 45miles maybe a bit more.

with Bosch and a 750wh I've done 55miles before just cruising in eco mode on a route more suited to a gravel bike.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There are too many variables to predict range but the 700w/h is certainly capable of a lot more range than the previous 500w/h.
As far as the bike is concerned a lot depends on what price you are paying. If less than £5k I would rate it as reasonable value for money and rideable out of the box by a fairly light ( less than 75kg) rider not doing more than fairly small jumps and drops etc. If more than 5K would class it as underspecced for the price. If you are a heavier and/or more adventurous rider I think the fork and shock need upgrading. The brakes ( Code R) and transmission ( GX Eagle) are fine and the frame/geo is good. Some seem to find the tyres OK some bin them in favour of more robust rubber.........again it depends on the terrain you ride and how hard you push.
Sorry if some of that sounds a bit harsh but I am considering one myself ( a 2022 model @£4.4k) purely as an XC type trail bike, and to leave it as stock.........I have other bikes that are full Enduro.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
You can get a lot of range and elevation.

I think this has been my biggest ride so far.

IMG_5020.jpeg

Timwillows

Jun 6, 2019
Portsmouth
So I’m buying a new e bike. Specialized turbo levo comp alloy. Just wondering what sort of ranges can be achieved with 700 watt hr battery. And also thoughts on the bike itself , ?
Very variable depending on what setting you use and where you ride. My longest so far 62km, 850m ascent and 30% battery left. So would guess 90km would be possible

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK
presumably the bike has the Mastermind TCU (I think that was the main difference in model year 2023 over 2022 for the comp alloy), which gives you Microtune. Ady Nash (EMBN) did a video designed to demonstrate that Microtune potentially makes the bike more economical - same motor and battery but instead of jumping from ECO to TRAIL (possibly more of a jump than you need right at that time) you can use Microtune to increase the assistance/peak power more subtly. I had a chat with him about it and he used the analogy of a modern automatic car (say 6 to 8 speed) being more economical (versus its manual counterpart) than the old 3 to 4 speed slush boxes of 30 years ago.

ecotrials

Sep 9, 2019
Lafayette, CA, USA
So much dependent on you, your riding style, how much effort you want to put out. My record length on a 2021 Turbo Levo Comp is 54.9mi see data below. I ride without assistance until absolutely required. 175 pound weight, 71 year age at that time. I see it is a bit late as you have already purchased, but you CAN go pretty far in hill country if you have to.
Screenshot_20240120-092355_BLEvo.jpg

UncleB

Jan 17, 2024
Santa Barbara CA
Hey Oddy! First off, I love the Comp Alloy and feel that it can be ridden happily stock. I bought a 2022 S4 5 months ago at the sale price of $5,625 ($7,500 msrp), which for many people, including me, isn't cheap. Since then I've made a few upgrades.

My initial impression was that the soft casing Specialized tires, which make the stock weight lighter, didn't have stiff enough sidewalls and the tires rolled on corners. I installed Cushcore in the front and rear and not only did it alleviate the rolling but it also added overall suspension to the bike. ($160 msrp)

Next I noticed that with the amount of torque the motor adds, as well as the steep terrain where I ride, I was going to go through drivetrains like mad. So I upgraded to the Sram T-Type Transmission in GX. I can say that the shifting is now much smoother and precise. I still try to avoid down shifting in Turbo when climbing as well as letting up a little on the pedals between shifts, but feel it was worth the upgrade. ($949 msrp) I was able to sell my old drivetrain on pinkbike while it was almost new to recoup some of this cost.

Then I upgraded the bars, stem, and pedals. I went with a oneup 35mm carbon bar ($160 msrp) to relieve arm fatigue and a shorter 42mm oneup (vs stock 50mm) stem ($90 msrp). I've found that with the bike being more slack than my analog Santa Cruz Bronson, I need to ride further back on the bike to corner properly. I've also positioned my seat further back. This in turn has effected my dropper post. Initially I thought it was malfunctioning because of sticking. I've learned that if I scoot forward slightly on the saddle when dropping it, the issue resolves. I also went with oneup for the pedals - composite ($50 msrp).

I've recently upgraded the tires, having put over 500 miles on the stock Specialized. I also had a plug in the rear and had noticed a fairly significant laceration between the the tread. I have quite sharp rocks on my local trails. I upgraded to Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.6 ($101 msrp) in the front and Schwalbe Tacky Chan 2.4 ($100 msrp) in the rear, both in the stiffer Super Gravity casing. I ran the stock Specialized as tubeless, as well as these Schwalbes. I've reinstalled the Cushcore but I'm not sure that I would have spent the money on them had the bike come with a stiffer tire to begin with. My local trails are very technical and chunky so for now they will stay, despite the additional weight. I've noticed a slower rolling speed and increased weight with the Schwalbe but the grip and stiffness, for me, is worth it. I guess I'll save on replacing brake pads.

The last and most recent upgrade was the Low Speed Compression adjustment kit ($25 msrp) to the Fox Float X rear shock. With only one ride post install, I haven't had enough time to fully evaluate this upgrade. At only $25 it seemed to me to be a no brainer to increase the adjustability of the shock.

Overall, I would make all of these upgrades again given the choice. The one upgrade I'm not as sure about is the Cushcore now that I'm using stiffer sidewall tires, only because I haven't run the Schwalbe's without them. However with my 50-something year old back that's taken much abuse over the years, I'm now finding myself looking for advantages to soften the ride. As a disclaimer, I work in the bike industry and typically pay wholesale prices which allows me to make more upgrades than I typically would. So with that being said, riding a Comp Alloy out of the box will bring much joy to many riders in my opinion. You can always upgrade as parts wear out. An advantage to the less expensive Alloy is that the geometry is the same as the much more expensive S-Works, granted they are very different bikes. All that being said, I'm very happy with my (fairly heavy) Comp Alloy!

boomy96

Jun 3, 2023
Australia
I bought a 2022 comp alloy and threw 4k worth of upgrades on it. (Wheels, forks, brakes, dropper, cockpit) I've had it for almost a year and I still don't like it. I wish I kept my Trek Rail. I'm probably the only person in the universe that doesn't like a Levo but it I just don't like the:
1. Brose motor is a slug compared to the Bosch. Particularly with techy rock climbing.
2. I prefer full 29er for long distances and bb height.
3. Have bent 2 stock dropper posts which aren't covered by warranty.
4. The motor sits low and only covered by a plastic cover which I'm always smashing on logs, rocks etc.

Hicksy 92

Nov 23, 2018
Stonesfield Oxfordshire
Generally when we do big rides in the Yorkshire dales , we do around 36 miles with 4500 feet of climbing mainly on eco and have around 14% battery left , back home in the cotswolds I would get 42 miles on eco and trail with and the odd turbo mode pressed , with about 2000 feet climbing I would have 20% left

Twindaddy

Nov 29, 2022
Chino Hills
There are too many variables to predict range but the 700w/h is certainly capable of a lot more range than the previous 500w/h.
As far as the bike is concerned a lot depends on what price you are paying. If less than £5k I would rate it as reasonable value for money and rideable out of the box by a fairly light ( less than 75kg) rider not doing more than fairly small jumps and drops etc. If more than 5K would class it as underspecced for the price. If you are a heavier and/or more adventurous rider I think the fork and shock need upgrading. The brakes ( Code R) and transmission ( GX Eagle) are fine and the frame/geo is good. Some seem to find the tyres OK some bin them in favour of more robust rubber.........again it depends on the terrain you ride and how hard you push.
Sorry if some of that sounds a bit harsh but I am considering one myself ( a 2022 model @£4.4k) purely as an XC type trail bike, and to leave it as stock.........I have other bikes that are full Enduro.
A Levo for XC trails? I’ve bumped mine up to 170/160 but in its stock form I wouldnt hesitate taking it anywhere.

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria
Forgot to say this is on a specialized turbo levo comp alloy 700w battery
That’s what I’ve just bought. Collect next week. What’s your thoughts on the bike.? I’m 5.8 and gone for S4 size . Had a brief ride of it . Can I ask what size you are and size bike your ride ?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A Levo for XC trails? I’ve bumped mine up to 170/160 but in its stock form I wouldnt hesitate taking it anywhere.
I didnt say it was not capable of more..........just what I would use it for because I have much higher specced bikes I can use for rougher terrain.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
IMG_5135.jpeg
IMG_5136.jpeg
Another big ride today.
This time using the ‘battery friendly’ tune from the black Specialized app.

All on trail.
Finished with 28%

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Does the battery get better with time ? Like learn your ride pattern ? On my other mondraker Bosch smart system, the battery was not great and improved with time?
Every battery I have had from new needed about 3 full charges, then run down to about 40% in each of 3 rides, before they seemed to have their best range. No change after that.

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria
Anyone know why my rides don’t show up on the specialized app? As pic ? Some rides did show up as mapped , but n most recent ones have not, I can click on it and it shows the map, but not just for glancing at it
IMG_6670.png

kurienp

Jan 21, 2020
Newbury
For what it's worth - on the range of a Specialized Turbo Levo Alloy Comp 23MY with the new mastermind TCU Display. Did 40 km on the Trail Break Chilterns Wildwood!

In eco mode, with a constant 20% support setup on eco mode the battery dropped from 80 to 56%. 24% for 40 km.

Theoretically, then I should be able to do about 120 km from 100 to nearly 0.

Oldandslowguy

Dec 2, 2022
Nevada
Hello, I recently purchased a 2023 Turbo Levo Comp Alloy and could not be happier! After about 100 hours of riding, this bike is a game changer. It does everything my analog Stumpjumper did but allows me to climb ridiculous trails. I upgraded the wheels (i9), the stem (i9), and installed carbon bars (RaceFace) and flat pedals (WolfTooth). Quite honestly this has been one of best purchases ever. I got a great deal through Specialized @ $5400. As an average rider an old guy at 57 this bike performs perfectly, I have 0 complaints. Weight is 52lbs with the upgrades and tubeless. I am 6’2” and I have an S5, it fits me perfectly.

IMG_5243.jpeg image0.jpeg

Last edited:

Oldandslowguy

Dec 2, 2022
Nevada
IMG_5314.jpeg

I just did this ride, I started with about 97% battery and finished with 43%. You’ll love your new bike, it’s a blast!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles