Trek Rail 7 vs Trek Rail 9.7

LemonDrop

Jun 9, 2020
USA
Tip for those considering the Rail 7:

Tried the 9.7 vs 7 a few days ago on the trails and one thing I noticed immediately was the increased agility on the 9.7. Looking at the spec sheet, I noted a 4 pound difference (Rail 9.7 is lighter - maybe due to the carbon frame). Got 9.7 yesterday ($500 more than the 7). Just FYI if anyone is interested in reducing weight...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
And yet people say you don’t need to worry about weight on an eBike...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
If the 7 and 9.7 were identical spec I would have gladly paid the extra for the carbon frame.

LemonDrop

Jun 9, 2020
USA
If the 7 and 9.7 were identical spec I would have gladly paid the extra for the carbon frame.
NX vs SLX , 4 pound weight seem to be the only difference

Metal -> Carbon Frames much more expensive to change and as I ride on gravel and some bumpy trails, I find the carbon frame much more forgiving and also no metal resonance sounds that I constantly had at variable speeds on my Powerfly 5

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Originally wanted a 9.7 for the Carbon frame but drive train is garbage..NX not even close to the XT derailleur/slx on the 7 IMO. I ended up w/ a 7, and replaced suspension to Fox Factory 36/dpx2, & Wheels to SC reserve 30's, plus added a one up dropper....All of which would have still been necessary for me had I got the 9.7. I can live with the ALU.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I’ve ridden both the 7 and 9.8 a lot. I was surprised how much more “fun” the carbon frame (and build) was. I had the idea that the weight difference wouldn’t matter on big heavy ebikes, but I found the 9.8 much more playful and easier to pop off small hits. This will vary depending on your riding style of course. The 7 feels very planted and “safe” to ride IMHO

Marley

Jan 28, 2021
VA
Surprisingly, I've found the weight added more stability.
Made the transition seamlessly coming from a 21 lb race bike.......yes, the momentum is a major player here.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles