Trek Rail 9.7 paint issue.

Cliffo691

Nov 20, 2019
United Kingdom
In got a Rail 9.7 in Yellow and lacquered carbon in December which had to be stored in the house until my shed arrived. I built my shed the weekend before Christmas and stored the bike away inside. Got it out between Christmas and New year and all the lacquered carbon on the top frame rail and the lower power tube has load of pock marks which I think is commonly known as lacquer pop. My local bike shop had a look at it and contacted Trek who asked if they could sort it but they couldn't so it looks like I'll be getting a new bike soon.. Has anyone else had this issue?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Do you have a pic? Any idea what causes it?
Picking up my Rail on Monday, and would like to know what to look out for!

Cliffo691

Nov 20, 2019
United Kingdom
Do you have a pic? Any idea what causes it?
Picking up my Rail on Monday, and would like to know what to look out for!
I'll take some photographs and post them tomorrow but I believe it's caused by moisture somewhere during the paint process that the change in storage temps made caused this issue. In certain lights/angles it almost looks like glitter on the frame..

Cliffo691

Nov 20, 2019
United Kingdom
Update, Trek offered me £500 cash back to keep the bike as is or a new frame but not the same colour as my current bike..
I chose the new frame as I wanted it to be perfect.
The new frame arrived in less than a week so I took my bike in to my LBS for the swap over, they called me yesterday to say it was ready to collect although Trek had forgotten to send the battery cover with the frame and the soonest they could get the correct colour is the beginning of May.
So now i have my bike in raw carbon and gloss black with a raw carbon and volt battery cover. Not Happy!!
I've just sent an email to Trek customer services voicing my disappointment in what has happened, my LBS has been brilliant as they even fitted an invisiframe kit before rebuilding the bike and have kept me informed all along the way.
Maybe i should have bought the Cube I originally wanted.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Maybe you can ask for the £500 as compensation... win / win!!

I picked up my Rail 9.9 last Monday, and spent the first 3 evenings applying Invisiframe. Whilst doing this, I noticed a couple of chips out of the carbon on the downtube... and the TREK logo on one side was a bit ‘ragged’ - like the stickers hadn’t been cut right.

The bike arrived with a leaking front brake, so the shop cleaned it up for the handover, and ordered a warranty replacement. When they called to advise that was in, I told the guy about the marks. I sent a couple of photos, and he agreed they shouldn’t be there - and he’d speak to his manager.

I spoke with them yesterday, and they’ve advised that they will ask Trek for a replacement frame. They need to work out what to do with regards to my Invisiframe, as it’s not like it can be taken off and re-applied to the new one.
Still waiting for an answer on whether someone (them or Trek) will pay for a new one.

By the time I’d finished applying the invisiframe to the bike, I felt like an expert... so I’d quite happily do it again myself!!

I’m going in on Monday to have the replacement brake fitted - so will see what they have to say.

Cliffo691

Nov 20, 2019
United Kingdom
I've had a response from Trek saying they will call me on Monday and try to resolve my battery cover issue. Let's see what they say..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles