Rail (625Wh) Trek Rail 7 (22) "Budget Brawler" bike build?

gauteplass

Sep 5, 2022
Norway
Hey guys!

So I have started my bike build, Trek Rail 7 2022 (LARGE) -with the intentions of making it a
"budget brawler".

I like my bikes easly maintaind, long lasting, "set to forget" and "Hard hitting". Normaly I ride enduro/downhill oriented tracks - and want to upgrade it for that intent.

Im not a huge fan of fine tuning and overly complicated set up parts, so for me the easier the better - and to get the best "bang for buck".

So after a few rides I have found out what parts work, and dont work for me. I have upgraded the cocpit and tyres, and now there is the two most expensive parts left -The suspension (suprise) and the brakes.

The bike comes stock with the Domian 160 fork- wich I actually liked. So Im not going to switch this out, but thinking of mabye increasing the travel to 170 (airshaft) and playing around the the tokens a bit.
The rear Deluxe Select+ on the other hand needs some upgrading. To my suprise that may be harder than I had thought, with the fittment issues on the downtube for the piggybacks.

My initial thoughts was to upgrade it to a Marzocchi Bomber Air or coil shock. I have poked around the internet, my local dealer and bikeshop...but neighter of them could give me an straight answar....does it fit?? Been looking at both 57,5 and 60mm stroke.

Now the standard brakes (M6100/6120) works ok, but I have always been a Sram guy and just cant get the feel of modulation on these brakes. Wich has led to some sketchy rides (especially in the wet). So I was looking at the Codes R, wich I have on my other enduro bike, The Code RSC, and the new DB8.
I cant really figure out what would be the best fit, both in performance and price.

Any input .. suggestion or advise for making the most out of this bike? cheers'

(sorry for my bad English)

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Meg Meg is not a great idea for someone who doesn’t like to tinker and tune.

fit a coil shock, Fox or Ohlins fit the frame.
Get a coil fork.
Set and forget.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Meg Meg is not a great idea for someone who doesn’t like to tinker and tune.

fit a coil shock, Fox or Ohlins fit the frame.
Get a coil fork.
Set and forget.

Megneg is about £65 and easy to do following Internet video.

I (80kg) had never dismantled a shock before, but removed the token and put in 2 negative rings in less than an hour.

220psi to get 30% sag, job done.

Set and forget.

You can pay 10+ times that for a pretty coil shock.

Last edited:

gauteplass

Sep 5, 2022
Norway
I just ordered a Marzocchi CR (60mm stroke) (on sale) to see if it will fit, might have to switch the minolink,...but hoping it will fit. If not I think i would try the Megneg.
Anyone tried out the new DB8 brakes from sram? Any suggestion on brakes with good modulation and power? (And not break the bank)

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I just ordered a Marzocchi CR (60mm stroke) (on sale) to see if it will fit, might have to switch the minolink,...but hoping it will fit. If not I think i would try the Megneg.
Anyone tried out the new DB8 brakes from sram? Any suggestion on brakes with good modulation and power? (And not break the bank)

I have 2022 Trek Rail 5 Large. Try the Shimano brakes before you replace them, 6100 levers are pretty nice (I have them) and the 6120 calipers are very nice indeed. (I have lowly MT420 calipers which work nicely with the 6100 levers).

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I just ordered a Marzocchi CR (60mm stroke) (on sale) to see if it will fit, might have to switch the minolink
You need to make sure the reservoir doesn't hit the downtime on full compression.

gauteplass

Sep 5, 2022
Norway
You need to make sure the reservoir doesn't hit the downtime on full compression.
Yes that is what im worried about. I was looking in another theard and i think one guy made it work' though he was on an XL 21 frame i think., so i hope it will work on an Large.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay

I (80kg) had never dismantled a shock before, but removed the token and put in 2 negative rings in less than an hour.

Set and forget.

but a coil shock is very pretty 😂

it’s the tuning aspect of the Megneg that I was referring to. Yes, fitment is easy, but landing on the best tune can be alot of trial and error.

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
Öhlins.

TTX1 has more progression, marginally cheaper.
TTX2 bit less progression, more airchamber (double can) middleground on air / coil
TTX22 m.2 top of the line coil

Pricing goes from 850 - 1000€

Seraye

Sep 8, 2020
Portland

Set and forget.

I second the megneg choice if you want to keep price down. It does take some experimentation to set it up right, (for me - three rides) but once done - it’s done and it works well.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I second the megneg choice if you want to keep price down. It does take some experimentation to set it up right, (for me - three rides) but once done - it’s done and it works well.

I'm 80kg, 2022 Trek Rail 5, have no tokens and two negative rings.

What bike is the Megneg on, how much do you weigh, how many (if any) tokens and negative rings are in the shock?

Seraye

Sep 8, 2020
Portland
I ride a Trek Rail 9.7 - I weigh 58 kg and settled on 3 negative rings and no positive tokens. I also have the Rockshox deluxe select + shock.

Seraye

Sep 8, 2020
Portland
Before the megneg - I felt like I was sinking too much into the travel when I was climbing or out on xc type trail days - but at the same time I wasn’t able to use all my travel. The megneg makes it so I have a nice pedaling platform - without the wallow - but I also get full travel on my gravity oriented days. Much better than before.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
@Seraye

Thank-you.

I also couldn't use all the travel. Now use 220psi which gives 32% sag which works fine for me.

Also had fun and games with my 2021 Pike Ultimate forks after installing the 2021 160mm C1 Debonair air spring upgrade. IIRC the recommended air pressure was so high (80psi?) that it made the forks almost rigid! So I settled on 60psi for about 30% sag and they're now very nice.

Edit: if recommendations don't work always go back to basic principles.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Nice! I also upgraded the stock Yari to a charger 2.1 damper and a debonair c1 - makes a world of difference!
I went one step further and fitted a Vorsprung Smashpot coil conversion as well. Buttery smooth! 😎

gauteplass

Sep 5, 2022
Norway
So I got my Bomber CR today, and it is a really close fit. It does touch The downtube on full compression, but I thinking we Are takling mm here… I have heard That some people use «nylon washer» to travel down, what Are those? Are they Easy to fit?

35ADF81C-7B74-469C-B826-A01B4AD621F9.jpeg

A84DDC15-4363-44EF-BBA9-1EA0DBBF2A46.jpeg

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
So I got my Bomber CR today, and it is a really close fit. It does touch The downtube on full compression, but I thinking we Are takling mm here… I have heard That some people use «nylon washer» to travel down, what Are those? Are they Easy to fit?

View attachment 97844

View attachment 97845
If that bumpstop is rubber, on full compression something is going to give if the can is touching already.

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
Any tips on how I could make this work? ...before i try to return the shock'
What is the shock travel now?

You can put shims under the bump stop to make it bottom out before the can hits the frame, but its less than optimal if you need to go under 57,5mm as it will reduce suspension travel under the stock 150mm

gauteplass

Sep 5, 2022
Norway
What is the shock travel now?

You can put shims under the bump stop to make it bottom out before the can hits the frame, but its less than optimal if you need to go under 57,5mm as it will reduce suspension travel under the stock 150mm
Yeah, i was wondering about that, but do it need to be special "shims" Or is it like normal washers? easy to install/buy?
The stoke is now 60mm on the cr- so I can lower it to "stock"

gauteplass

Sep 5, 2022
Norway
So I installed nylon shims to reduce the travel to around 57mm, think this will work’ piggyback did not hit The downtube on full compression (bouncing)

FEF0669D-95C4-4A67-A4B1-552E303FE7E4.jpeg

2A0D0505-F083-4489-9B26-EE129866B33A.jpeg

gauteplass

Sep 5, 2022
Norway
So got it fully installed today, feels great and no problems thus far. But i might need a stiffer spring -
Does this sping look a bit small? I thought i did The math right for 60mm stroke…

4246F349-1CCC-4127-B96B-AC5F2610AAC3.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles