̷T̷r̷e̷k̷ ̷R̷a̷i̷l̷ ̷7̷ ̷2̷2̷'̷ ̷o̷r̷ ̷T̷r̷e̷k̷ ̷R̷a̷i̷l̷ ̷9̷ ̷2̷2̷'̷ ̷ - Rail 9 22' beans Build Thread

beans

Feb 24, 2022
Australia
First post!

Hi everyone,

I have the opportunity to purchase either a Rail 7 or Rail 9, both the 2022 models. Initially I was set on the 7 but further contemplating has leaned me towards the 9.

Main stand outs are
Purion vs Kiox
Domain RC vs Zeb
RockShox Deluxe Select+ vs RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate RT3
150mm vs 170mm dropper
1646260513836.png
Rail 7 22'
1646260532457.png
Rail 9 22'
Simply put, which one should I pick?

SDRail

Mar 2, 2022
San Diego
First post!

Hi everyone,

I have the opportunity to purchase either a Rail 7 or Rail 9, both the 2022 models. Initially I was set on the 7 but further contemplating has leaned me towards the 9.

Main stand outs are
Purion vs Kiox
Domain RC vs Zeb
RockShox Deluxe Select+ vs RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate RT3
150mm vs 170mm dropper
View attachment 83173 Rail 7 22'
View attachment 83174 Rail 9 22'
Simply put, which one should I pick?
In the US, that is a big jump in price $2400 USD between the 7 and 9.8. You do get s full carbon frame and new geometry though. I went with the 2022 9.7 which was a $900 increase over the 7, mainly because of Kiox and I could get it right away. I know I didn't answer your question mainly due to fairly large price difference. If you want a carbon frame an Kiox and can deal with the $2400 price difference then the 9.8 is the way to go.

Aug 18, 2021
St Helens Tasmania
i had the same dilemma. $AU 1500 difference
went for the 9 as it seemed a lot better value.
However if you know what you are doing can you upgrade a 7, or a 5 to be as good as a 9 for the price difference. Unless you get up tothe carbon models the frame should be the same . It’s just the components that vary.

Charlie

beans

Feb 24, 2022
Australia
i had the same dilemma. $AU 1500 difference
went for the 9 as it seemed a lot better value.
However if you know what you are doing can you upgrade a 7, or a 5 to be as good as a 9 for the price difference. Unless you get up tothe carbon models the frame should be the same . It’s just the components that vary.

Charlie

Looks like I've taken up your advice earlier today and switched my order to the Rail 9, I will be collecting next week getting frameskin installed along with cushcore.

Seemed like the most "logical" model to select considering I do not have a donor bike to pilfer from.

What's a extra $1500 Dollarydoos, right ?.. never thought I would be spending 5 figures on a Bicycle but here we are now.

Will post some pictures here of my new steed next week.

Dhmorelia

May 5, 2021
Australia
I’m from Aus also. Definitely go with the 9 (I did). It’s a great package straight off the bat. No need to upgrade and everything’s covered by warranty from Trek. That limits how much mucking around you have to do.

I agree with one of the previous posts that the upgrade route is also good. I just didn’t have the time or confidence.

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Looks like I've taken up your advice earlier today and switched my order to the Rail 9, I will be collecting next week getting frameskin installed along with cushcore.

Seemed like the most "logical" model to select considering I do not have a donor bike to pilfer from.

What's a extra $1500 Dollarydoos, right ?.. never thought I would be spending 5 figures on a Bicycle but here we are now.

Will post some pictures here of my new steed next week.

Hey! That's funny cause i'm in the total opposite location of you right now but anyway, i'm waiting for the 9's pics!!!!!!!!!! I'm hesitating between Rail 9 and Turboi Levo Alloy Comp at the moment.

Another question: what about range? I'm 92 kg, so i'm afraid to be "short" in term of range... I'm only seeking to ride between 30 and 40 km, not more, but with a lot of climbing.

js71

May 17, 2021
NW Georgia
Hey! That's funny cause i'm in the total opposite location of you right now but anyway, i'm waiting for the 9's pics!!!!!!!!!! I'm hesitating between Rail 9 and Turboi Levo Alloy Comp at the moment.

Another question: what about range? I'm 92 kg, so i'm afraid to be "short" in term of range... I'm only seeking to ride between 30 and 40 km, not more, but with a lot of climbing.

I had a 2021 Rail 9.8XT and a 2022 Turbo Levo Comp Alloy. Rode them both for a couple weeks. The Levo was sold today. Both had pros and cons, my Rail was just a better build so I kept it. Levo motor is so smooth but my Rail just felt better.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
What does everyone think of the 9 colour? I'm not sure if I really like it or hate it, need to see it in the flesh I think

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
What does everyone think of the 9 colour? I'm not sure if I really like it or hate it, need to see it in the flesh I think
cat-cat-puking.gif

For me, the 9 GX color was the one I hate the most. It's important to have the bike you like when you buy such an expensive toy (for me, at least). What a shame cause the bike is great, although the 625 "only" battery)

beans

Feb 24, 2022
Australia
New Bike day!

Unfortunately I was not able to pickup the Rail from Trek last Thursday due to getting the spicy cough. Fortunately I have a awesome neighbour and he was able to drop it off to be wrapped by Alan at Frameskin last week.

Alan did a amazing job wrapping the frame including cranks boots, chain stay wrap and the Dirtsurfer mudguard.

Some beauty shots of the Rail below after picking it up from Frameskin, along with a shot of my BBS02 converted gravel bike.

I'll attempt the Cushcore install later in the week, but I am keen to test out the new Steed and hit the trails.

1647400323577.png

1647400340615.png

1647400356789.png

1647400375168.png

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
XL?

I'm still tempted, might add chrome graphics over the downtube Trek logos, replace Zeb ones with chrome and add a silver stem and seatclamp

beans

Feb 24, 2022
Australia
XL?

I'm still tempted, might add chrome graphics over the downtube Trek logos, replace Zeb ones with chrome and add a silver stem and seatclamp

Yes XL, I am 193cm and 95kg. I tried out the Large and felt like the bars were in my lap.

I personally like this colour the most, it's subtle and the 'Black Olive' colour Trek are using comes out nicely when the sun hits it.

I will also note that I was quite disappointed in the SRAM Code R's throw, as they were hitting the grips when pulled in.

Adjusting the "free throw" as shown in the video below has sorted that issue out nice as easy.

Hcd

Aug 8, 2021
Australia
I had the same question when I bought my Trek Rail 9 a couple of years ago. Kiox mounting is so much more protected which convinced me. In the end, it‘s about the value of money to the buyer. I didn’t go carbon because I thought it was unnecessary for an eMTB and Al would be more robust from a damage perspective. No regrets for me. Great bike.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I have ordered an XL 9 from Blazing Bikes, should get it week after next. Was going to jog on the Sram but a mate with a 21 9 ,says he is running £50 ZTTO XD cassettes so might give it a go. Will be changing wheels, tyres, brakes, dropper, bars and stem before riding it though, will also be putting the 170mm airspring in the Zeb

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
How are you getting on with it @beans ? Any chance of a photo or two with the seat down and in the sunlight as well?

As you might be able to tell I'm waiting impatiently for mine!

beans

Feb 24, 2022
Australia
How are you getting on with it @beans ? Any chance of a photo or two with the seat down and in the sunlight as well?

As you might be able to tell I'm waiting impatiently for mine!

Bike is going great! @davosaurusrex pretty much riding every day doing various rides such as big mountain climbs, trail riding and dirt jumps. Can't fault the thing yet has been a pleasure to ride.

Updates so far:

Kiox protective case
Cushcore front and rear
"Deslackinators" ordered to help with free play in levers

Only issues so far are:

Stock pads are trashed after almost 73km/h decent. So I am looking for replacements.
I'll have to add a volume spacer to the rear soon, as my sag is setup all fine but still bottoming out. (I am 95kg for clarification)

Here are some pictures, let me know if you need anymore to get you by till yours comes :ROFLMAO:

1648610677278.png

1648611300952.png

1648610701907.png

1648610776904.png

Dhmorelia

May 5, 2021
Australia
Bike is going great! @davosaurusrex pretty much riding every day doing various rides such as big mountain climbs, trail riding and dirt jumps. Can't fault the thing yet has been a pleasure to ride.

Updates so far:

Kiox protective case
Cushcore front and rear
"Deslackinators" ordered to help with free play in levers

Only issues so far are:

Stock pads are trashed after almost 73km/h decent. So I am looking for replacements.
I'll have to add a volume spacer to the rear soon, as my sag is setup all fine but still bottoming out. (I am 95kg for clarification)

Here are some pictures, let me know if you need anymore to get you by till yours comes :ROFLMAO:

Hi beans,

I'm curious about fitting cushcore on a Rail 9 (2021). I've tried it once but found it too hard to fit. Did you replace the rim strips with rim tape? What worked for you?

Thanks in advance.

beans

Feb 24, 2022
Australia
Hi beans,

I'm curious about fitting cushcore on a Rail 9 (2021). I've tried it once but found it too hard to fit. Did you replace the rim strips with rim tape? What worked for you?

Thanks in advance.

I followed these two videos, the two biggest points that helped me were. Pre-stretching the CC and tucking the bead under the CC.

Tucking the bead under the CC by squishing the tire, pushing it way from you and scooping it under the CC helped so much that one of the wheels I didn't even need to use levers to pop the last bit of bead in.

Your fingers and forearms will be wrecked after though so be prepared for that.

beans

Feb 24, 2022
Australia
On a side note that might help others, I was trying to figure out a way to back pedal so I could clean the chain while the bike was on the ground.

I know you can buy Crank Sticks or jam stuff between the crank arm and sprocket. But I was impatient and didn't want to jam random stuff that was not fit for purpose.

I figured I could cut a plastic packer to suit. The circles in red show the progressive gap I ended up with as if it were too long it would hit the chain guide mounts.

1649230452313.png

1649230767026.png

1649230781266.png

Last edited:

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
You do get s full carbon frame
I notice that Kona allow you to have a lifetime warranty on their frame, but only if it is alloy,not if its carbon. That kind of states in loud words that Kona dont see carbon as being a long term material.
As to strengths etc, weights etc. Personally I reckon carbon has not enough of a strength to weight difference between it and alloy to justify the large price difference.

vertrkr

Nov 19, 2021
California

I glazed my pads/cooked rotors on my first steep descent, I'm a heavy rider. I finally tried MTX Gold pads with Magura MDR-P rotors and they've been perfect for the last 500 miles, hardly look worn at all.

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
Cushcore was the biggest single difference in how mine rides apart from maybe the coil. Did the front myself, lost it in the back so got the LBS to do the rear. Dropping the Amish wheels off this afternoon to get them done too.

beans

Feb 24, 2022
Australia
Small update, the Rail is going great at the moment.

Installed some Galfer FD455 E-Bike specific pads which are a lot better than the stock pads.

1BCE4DD9-403E-4B11-BDDD-911D1ECB7361.jpeg

I also rode some local trails today and unfortunately dinged the rear rim, I think if I were not running CC it would be a lot worse. Rim is still true along with spoke tension and air holding.

15 PSI in the rear was probably too low for the rocky conditions, I have upped the rear to 25 and will see how that goes.

I’ll look into the DT Swiss Hybrid line and see what’s suitable but for the time being I think she’ll be right.

What pressures are people running with CC ?

AA1BD63A-95F6-4C28-98CE-A13C9A9974B7.jpeg
899810BD-4915-488D-A506-1A48BF554E3F.jpeg

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I run 22-25 rear with Cushcore xc. I weigh 75kg
15 is very low in my opinion. I ran less in the beginning of my rail ownership, but the bontrager rims are soft as butter and dents easily imho. I even broke a 5 week old carbon rim (no cushcore then). So after that I upped the psi.
It helps a great deal to run a new tire without Cushcore first to soften it a bit, then chuck the Cushcore in

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles