Lightest Rail Build?.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
How light have you managed to get your rail with upgrades.

What is the weight saving between the carbon and alloy version?.
I might be going in the wrong direction. A few of the upgrades are slightly heavier (ie,AXS GX). I have a carbon frame with a OneUp carbon bar(which made a noticeable difference). I suppose my next weight saving upgrade is carbon cranks then carbon wheels. I think I’m subconsciously trying to destroy them to justify the cost 🙄.
I don’t know the weight of my carbon frame but I’m definitely lighter than my neighbor’s alloy frame. (Rail 9.7 vs Rail 7).

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I honestly don't get all this weight saving stuff on carbon Rails or any bike really. I have a 9.7 and the bike is already light right from the factory. I actually dig a bit of weight to keep the bike stable on hard descents. Is all this weight saving stuff really needed or just something you guys like to do?

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Is all this weight saving stuff really needed or just something you guys like to do?
Agreed. I swapped my stock wheels on my 9.8 for carbon Light Bicycle AM933 rims on DT 350s because I wanted better lateral stiffness. Any weight saving is just a bonus. Also because the Bontrager Line Comp 30 rims kept breaking spokes.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal

In all seriousness, if you're considering getting a second battery, consider getting a 500Wh battery. Unless all your rides consume at least 80% of your 625Wh battery, a 500Wh may suit for a significant portion of your rides, and will reduce the weight of the frame by 25 ounces.

I did this but the other way around: bought a Rail 5 (500Wh), then bought a 625 with the intention of selling the 500. Ended up keeping the 500 and getting brackets/cover and a suitable backpack (Amplifi E-Track) for long two-battery rides, and it soon occurred to use the 500 for my daily 1hr/12m/2200ft ride, and the 625 for the longer rides I take a couple times a week.

I've gone on a couple of 2-battery rides, and I'd be hard pressed to use all 1125Wh of battery, never mind 1350Wh.

That said, the best way I could reduce the weight of my ride is to reduce my BMI from 26 to 24 - my scatological humor was a sideways reference to the fact that trying to shave a couple of pounds off of a bike's weight when odds are the rider (and speaking for myself) is overweight - the average US male has a BMI of 26.6 (UK is 27.6!) - suggests that time and money is better spent getting on a bike and riding at 80% of max heart rate for as many hours as is possible.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
No idea what mine weighs but the lighter it became the more fun it seemed. I have carbon frame, bars and wheels, also the battery lock delete.
I don’t agree with the why bother making an ebike lighter or the rider should lose weight etc. It definately makes a positive difference to my bike/riding but everyone will be different.
On the flip side my mate’s Kenevo is a tank but I enjoy riding that too😀
I had a coil on mine which I absolutely love but a few weeks ago I put the air shock back on for a change and I’m quite a bit faster with the air shock, weird.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I put the air shock back on for a change and I’m quite a bit faster with the air shock, weird.
Where are you finding the extra speed from? Air shocks can give a lot more pop, livelyness and playfulness. especially on a heavyAF Eeb. They can also feel more supportive out of corners and more efficient under pedalling.
Whether coil or air suits a bike best depends a lot on the bike's leverage curve AND the riders riding style/set-up preferences though
Is all this weight saving stuff really needed or just something you guys like to do?
Weight affects ANY bikes handling characteristics massively. Not just overall weight though. But weight distribution.
Is it needed? No. Of course not.
But TBH I wouldn't want to ride any Eeb that weighs over 50lb/22.5kg. but much prefer mine at 47lb/21.3kg To me above the 50lb mark is where they just begin to feel sluggish and cumbersome. I genuinely still prefer the handling of a nice light normal bike to any Emtb though.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Where are you finding the extra speed from? Air shocks can give a lot more pop, livelyness and playfulness. especially on a heavyAF Eeb. They can also feel more supportive out of corners and more efficient under pedalling.
Whether coil or air suits a bike best depends a lot on the bike's leverage curve AND the riders riding style/set-up preferences though

Weight affects ANY bikes handling characteristics massively. Not just overall weight though. But weight distribution.
Is it needed? No. Of course not.
But TBH I wouldn't want to ride any Eeb that weighs over 50lb/22.5kg. but much prefer mine at 47lb/21.3kg To me above the 50lb mark is where they just begin to feel sluggish and cumbersome. I genuinely still prefer the handling of a nice light normal bike to any Emtb though.

I have no idea Gary. With the air the bike feels exactly as you describe plus it seems to skip over rocks compared to the coil. On bits with large rocks, where you have to pick your way though and over stuff, the air also seems more supportive when you hop up stuff.
Would a progressive spring on the coil sort of be a halfway house between air and coil?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You could also try a a higher spring rate and/or a damper re-shim for greater support.
TBH it sounds like you may have simply made a mistake thinking coil is the daddy and it's just less suitable for your particular bike

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
A fair bit of weight in 12spd cassettes. `10spd is lighter.

Consider that standard non ebikes have 12 spd. So why should an ebike also have such a large low spd gear cog ?. The effort is supplied by the motor not the legs.
I'm swopping my system from 12 to 10
Current XT mech,12spd deore cassette and deore shifter for an XT 10spd cassette, an XO rear mech and XO shifter and what im saving doing that is 400grams, or 14 ounces in old money. Just by dropping 2 cogs off the system.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
10spd is lighter
What is your waist line?
You can reach 27 inches and no need to upgrade the bike
when you upgrade yourself.

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
I always wondered, might not be worth to them, if Bosch would have produced a 300w Power tube, for those short ride days and even for bike park with lifts. I assume is could in theory be close to half of the weight of the original battery.

BigMark

Feb 10, 2020
I just stockpile parts so my morning ride into the national forest is not interrupted on my rail 7/
7000.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles