Rail (750Wh) '22 Rail 7 Gen - Rear wheel suggestions?

Mattman

Feb 4, 2023
Philadelphia
Have about 750 miles on my Rail 7 and just broke my 2nd rear spoke. I have read how the stock wheel are not ideal for a heavy ebike and I want to replace my rear with a solid wheel and hub. Would like to find something that wont break the bank but that is also solid. I keep seeing posts about Hope Fortus Pro 5. Is this a good option? Are there cheaper options that are as good?

Thanks

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Yes the Bontrager wheels are weak, only 28 spokes vs 32, and the spokes break easily as you've experienced...I would go for DT Swiss good stong wheels, and their star ratchet freehubs are much stronger than ratchet & pawl systems.

Mattman

Feb 4, 2023
Philadelphia
Yes the Bontrager wheels are weak, only 28 spokes vs 32, and the spokes break easily as you've experienced...I would go for DT Swiss good stong wheels, and their star ratchet freehubs are much stronger than ratchet & pawl systems.
Can these be bought complete laced with hub? If so, are there US vendors that sell?

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
Trek will warranty the wheel after breaking spokes a couple times. Have the shop request warranty credit instead of a replacement wheel (what I did the last time I warrantied a Rail rear wheel). If you don't buy a new wheel through the shop you still have some credit for other parts.

Mattman

Feb 4, 2023
Philadelphia
Another spoke went yesterday. Looking at the DT Swiss 1900. Which cassette interface for a Rail 7 Gen2 '22: Shimano MTB or Shimano MicroSpline? Also assuming it a Disc IS 6 bolt brake interface?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles