Transition Relay Owners how's the bike?

gbcoke

Aug 28, 2022
italy
I feel its a subpar e-bike due to its general lack of refinement. The motor is a bit wonkey at times (hopefully the update will fix that) the random battery connection issues, the lackluster LED display and the absolutely crap mode controller. When comparing the ebike features to like say Specialized or a TQ equipped bike the Fazua system is lacking. Still love riding the bike esp downhill hill, but there is room for improvment.
Is an ebike subpar just because of a few ealry stage hickups of the electric system ? What about geo,suspension,trail feel,frame durability ??? I see that Fazua are working on their bugs (though I agree they should have done it prior to getting out to market) and know that most brands have had issues with the systems as well - Levo sl very weak motor and plenty of noise,Shimano ep8 rattle and many errors,Brose motors on Levo's breaking (I know some riders with 8 motors in 2 years !),Rocky mountain alot of noise/friction issues due to the pully system etc...

Unfortunatlly there are issues on ebike systems,but saying all bikes with a Fazua are subpar is a bit harsh imho.

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Is an ebike subpar just because of a few ealry stage hickups of the electric system ? What about geo,suspension,trail feel,frame durability ??? I see that Fazua are working on their bugs (though I agree they should have done it prior to getting out to market) and know that most brands have had issues with the systems as well - Levo sl very weak motor and plenty of noise,Shimano ep8 rattle and many errors,Brose motors on Levo's breaking (I know some riders with 8 motors in 2 years !),Rocky mountain alot of noise/friction issues due to the pully system etc...

Unfortunatlly there are issues on ebike systems,but saying all bikes with a Fazua are subpar is a bit harsh imho.
"Is an ebike subpar just because of a few ealry stage hickups of the electric system ?" My understanding is that Fazua has been around a bit so I expected more refinement, that could be on me and maybe the issues I've seen will go away once I do the firmware update🤞
" What about geo,suspension,trail feel,frame durability " On this front the bike is an absolute winner, rides so good even pedals pretty well without the lock out, durability we will have to see but its a Transition so I'm not super worried about that bit they build em a bit burly for a reason :LOL:.
"Levo sl very weak motor and plenty of noise,Shimano ep8 rattle and many errors,Brose motors on Levo's breaking (I know some riders with 8 motors in 2 years !" I agree the Levo SL 1.1 was pretty underpowered. I still have a Kenevo SL and yeah its noisy as all heck, I've not had any motor issues on the Kenevo or the Levo but I know they are a thing, the shop I work at is a Specialized dealer too. I'm not a big fan of the Shimano motor, feels under powered and is also noisy, and don't even get me started on the Rocky :ROFLMAO:
Subpar may have been a bit harsh but as I said I expected more from a company that did not seem like a new comer to the market and maybe as I said the update will solve it and they will come out with a less delicate motor controller. I'm still stoked on the bike, it rides so dang good and my girlfriend loves hers as well.

Lukas1981

Apr 6, 2023
Poland
I feel its a subpar e-bike due to its general lack of refinement. The motor is a bit wonkey at times (hopefully the update will fix that) the random battery connection issues, the lackluster LED display and the absolutely crap mode controller. When comparing the ebike features to like say Specialized or a TQ equipped bike the Fazua system is lacking. Still love riding the bike esp downhill hill, but there is room for improvment.
1. Motor smooth power delivery is corrected by newest update.
2. Battery connection issues must be refined
"Is an ebike subpar just because of a few ealry stage hickups of the electric system ?" My understanding is that Fazua has been around a bit so I expected more refinement, that could be on me and maybe the issues I've seen will go away once I do the firmware update🤞
" What about geo,suspension,trail feel,frame durability " On this front the bike is an absolute winner, rides so good even pedals pretty well without the lock out, durability we will have to see but its a Transition so I'm not super worried about that bit they build em a bit burly for a reason :LOL:.
"Levo sl very weak motor and plenty of noise,Shimano ep8 rattle and many errors,Brose motors on Levo's breaking (I know some riders with 8 motors in 2 years !" I agree the Levo SL 1.1 was pretty underpowered. I still have a Kenevo SL and yeah its noisy as all heck, I've not had any motor issues on the Kenevo or the Levo but I know they are a thing, the shop I work at is a Specialized dealer too. I'm not a big fan of the Shimano motor, feels under powered and is also noisy, and don't even get me started on the Rocky :ROFLMAO:
Subpar may have been a bit harsh but as I said I expected more from a company that did not seem like a new comer to the market and maybe as I said the update will solve it and they will come out with a less delicate motor controller. I'm still stoked on the bike, it rides so dang good and my girlfriend loves hers as well.
Hey, they already produced second gen of controlers, some people have it already on their Pivot shuttle SL.

Doggy

May 22, 2023
Peoria, Az.

1. Motor smooth power delivery is corrected by newest update.
2. Battery connection issues must be refined

Hey, they already produced second gen of controlers, some people have it already on their Pivot shuttle SL.
My shop has 2 controllers on order for my Pivot SL's, mine on my bike has to be used with 2 hands to get it to change modes, it sticks both ways when trying to use, I hope the new one is better. Fazua does keep coming out with updates so that is a good thing, but very frustrating when the motor quits working all together. This is my first Ebike and learning that they all have their issues.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
It's the best handling bike I've ever ridden.

Power is great, battery life and power is plenty.

I can't manual it in a pinch worth a sh*t however. Not sure if it's because I went to big, or just the nature of e- bikes.

Lukas1981

Apr 6, 2023
Poland
It's the best handling bike I've ever ridden.

Power is great, battery life and power is plenty.

I can't manual it in a pinch worth a sh*t however. Not sure if it's because I went to big, or just the nature of e- bikes.
Manual is harder on ebikes, but not that much. Definitely doable. You just went too big frame wise .

RxBike

Jan 26, 2023
USA
Happy to hear that you’re enjoying the bike @Suns_PSD! Making me excited for mine to get here.

I have been riding my girlfriend’s alloy levo comp a bit lately so it will be interesting to compare the power between the two. Been pretty impressed with how the levo performs. Still stoked on the relay though.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Manual is harder on ebikes, but not that much. Definitely doable. You just went too big frame wise .

I'm going to play with some really short stems before selling the bike off.

Must admit that I jumped on my Spur to compare a much shorter, lighter bike and, my manuals still sucked. Think I just need to get back dialed in.

RxBike

Jan 26, 2023
USA

Seems to be the general pros and cons that others are highlighting. One thing that wasn't clear was wether or not they applied the fazue firmwear update before releasing this review? Or that is what the comments make it seem like. For those with the bike, what is your impression on the time to motor engagement with pedal strokes? Is it as bad as this article makes it out to be?

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
They did not have the update and this was discussed in the comments.

I found the power application weird on my first ride and it prevented me from from doing tech climbs well.

Then I did the update and got the app working. I went with a very natural feel, which meant turning down how quickly the power came on full, but not neccessarily how quickly it starts coming on.

That said, it's my first e-bike so I have limited experience with these things.

Last edited:

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
SO an update on well.. the update lol. I have had one ride after the update and the motor feels really good its power delivery and engagement is a lot better, and when you stop pedaling there is a tiny bit of overrun that feels more natural than it did before. The one issue I have is my battery life plummeted, I went from getting about 1k feet of climbing in eco to about 600ft, after the ride I went into the ap and adjusted the setting for more battery life so I will see how that feels on Wednesday. My girlfriend is super happy with hers now since the update so lighter riders will be 100% pleased. Neither of us experienced the weird flashing lights of battery disconnect all day even after a few big drops so yay!
20230603_105906.jpg

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
That range makes no sense.

I did 2128' on Saturday over 17 miles and used 56% of the battery using a mix of power levels. I use the Breeze for downhill and undulating terrain, the middle (River?) for longer climbs, and the Rocket setting for road transfers and what not. I guarantee I could do 5K' if not 6K' in the Breeze mode.

I weigh 185#s. Our dirt is hard pack but very loose and chunky. In fact that feet measurement is from Strava but I've been told other apps will show 2x that on the same route as they measure finer elevation changes.

phatmike

Jun 2, 2023
California
SO an update on well.. the update lol. I have had one ride after the update and the motor feels really good its power delivery and engagement is a lot better, and when you stop pedaling there is a tiny bit of overrun that feels more natural than it did before. The one issue I have is my battery life plummeted, I went from getting about 1k feet of climbing in eco to about 600ft, after the ride I went into the ap and adjusted the setting for more battery life so I will see how that feels on Wednesday. My girlfriend is super happy with hers now since the update so lighter riders will be 100% pleased. Neither of us experienced the weird flashing lights of battery disconnect all day even after a few big drops so yay! View attachment 116945
just looking at your Relay, did you put a ride wrap or invisiframe on it and if you did is it the matte or glossy one? also was looking on both site they don't have any available it says.

thanks!

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
That range makes no sense.

I did 2128' on Saturday over 17 miles and used 56% of the battery using a mix of power levels. I use the Breeze for downhill and undulating terrain, the middle (River?) for longer climbs, and the Rocket setting for road transfers and what not. I guarantee I could do 5K' if not 6K' in the Breeze mode.

I weigh 185#s. Our dirt is hard pack but very loose and chunky. In fact that feet measurement is from Strava but I've been told other apps will show 2x that on the same route as they measure finer elevation changes.
I am a big fellow, 220lbs before gear, I knew range would be less then others expected, just sharing what I have found so far.

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
just looking at your Relay, did you put a ride wrap or invisiframe on it and if you did is it the matte or glossy one? also was looking on both site they don't have any available it says.

thanks!
Yeah we did gloss ride wrap, looks so good and water just beads off of it.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I am a big fellow, 220lbs before gear, I knew range would be less then others expected, just sharing what I have found so far.

Keep us updated.

Something strikes me as wrong in this situation, however. I mean 600' climbing just doesn't take that many watts to accomplish, even at your size, and I'm getting approximately 10x your range.

Are you spinning fast, or slow cranking?

What's your partner experiencing as far as range goes?

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Keep us updated.

Something strikes me as wrong in this situation, however. I mean 600' climbing just doesn't take that many watts to accomplish, even at your size, and I'm getting approximately 10x your range.

Are you spinning fast, or slow cranking?

What's your partner experiencing as far as range goes?
Im keeping my spin in the 80RPMs range, she is not having issues with range at all, more than double what I'm seeing. Tomorrow will be the test of the new settings

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Ok another update to the Relay saga :ROFLMAO: made some changes to the ride profile, I chose battery savings mode and its back to what I was expecting, about 1k of climbing per 20% (or dot). I need to tune eco mode up a bit as it felt non existent, but I was able to run Trail (or river) mode 90% of the ride and it was quite peppy so I think we are in a good place now, I need to get up in there and find what is rattling in the frame still (pretty sure its the controller connection) but I'm happy with the performance. Oh and I want back to RockShox front and rear lol, Sorry Fox you just aint my jam :LOL:
20230607_190929.jpg
20230607_175518.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There is apparently an Update for the Ride 60, haven't tried it, only from what I've read :

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
There is apparently an Update for the Ride 60, haven't tried it, only from what I've read :

Definitely agree that eco or breeze mode it pretty underpowered lol, good find thanks!

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Ok another update to the Relay saga :ROFLMAO: made some changes to the ride profile, I chose battery savings mode and its back to what I was expecting, about 1k of climbing per 20% (or dot).
Okay, now I understand! Initially you had stated this " The one issue I have is my battery life plummeted, I went from getting about 1k feet of climbing in eco to about 600ft, after the ride I went into the app and adjusted the setting for more battery life so I will see how that feels on Wednesday. "

You didn't mean 600' total on a battery charge, you meant 600' on one led dot (or about 20%) which is about 3K' of climbing. This makes way more sense with varying conditions, rider weight, and the motor setting chosen.

I run my Breeze setting at: Max Power = 200 w; Reaches Max Power at this Rider Power = 350 w, Ramp Up/ acceleration on 1%. This makes it feel like a bike to me and I can do technical climbing. It's still a bit of an advantage it's just not super obvious.

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Okay, now I understand! Initially you had stated this " The one issue I have is my battery life plummeted, I went from getting about 1k feet of climbing in eco to about 600ft, after the ride I went into the app and adjusted the setting for more battery life so I will see how that feels on Wednesday. "

You didn't mean 600' total on a battery charge, you meant 600' on one led dot (or about 20%) which is about 3K' of climbing. This makes way more sense with varying conditions, rider weight, and the motor setting chosen.

I run my Breeze setting at: Max Power = 200 w; Reaches Max Power at this Rider Power = 350 w, Ramp Up/ acceleration on 1%. This makes it feel like a bike to me and I can do technical climbing. It's still a bit of an advantage it's just not super obvious.
Ahh sorry, lol. I think I may try your settings tomorrow and see how it feels!

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
View attachment 115951 View attachment 115950

It's an XL set up mullet (ordered as a 29er) I've slapped a few of my parts on. I'll probably leave the rear 160mm travel shock and for geo reasons I used my 160mm fork as I wanted it a hair steeper.

It's at 43#s on the dot with pedals, dual inserts, rear 2.5 DD tire, 210mm dropper, cage & shockwiz. I did check 2 weights while putting it together. My front wheel assembly was the big weight saver as even with a proper tire/ rotor/ good cf wheel/ insert, my entire front wheel assembly was 600 grams lighter than stock. My rear Downhill cf 27.5" rear wheel with a DD 2.5 tire and XTR cassette was only 100 grams lighter than the stock 29er wheel with a GX cassette. I used my OneUp bars, my front TS brake & my preferred seat which is heavier than stock.

I'll probably add my rear TS brake tomorrow (saves a bit), and add my tools (adds a bit) and end up about the same.

Didn't realize that you couldn't multi-shift with a turd GX shifter so I'll get that swapped when I get time to mess with it this week.

I wish it had an X01 11 speed, I used an old HG+ XTR 12 speed cassette I had and I swear I'll never use the first 2 gears.

Also would like 170 cranks, but can't find any. It's also doubtful I'd still be able to fit the 210mm dropper with longer cranks as it's that close and I'm only 5'11" (yes I know, I like my bikes big).

I always run clipless but decided to start with some flats, just to try it out.

Have ridden it just on a little dirt path by my home and it feels like the best geo I've ever ridden as far as fit goes. It's got a really steep sta (real world steep), nice and short from the seat to the bars, but long while standing. BB is nice and high comparatively in the real world, with the 160 Mezzer fork (bit longer A2C than a Fox 36) and the 2.5 rear tire I used (all intentional). HTA measures 63.8' as the bike sits. Love all this so far.

The motor is quiet and has nice assistance, although I have practically no e-bike experience so what do I know. It's certainly plenty for me.

My battery was in super tight, which is a good thing I'm thinking. When I finally got it out, it was a 2 handed affair.

I moved the controller further in just because I have little need to reach it while riding and I think it'll work better for my final controls set up.

Pretty stoked so far.
Like this colour better than blue

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
My Fazua 60 has most definitely increased in volume as well as has somewhat reduced performance.

I have submitted a warranty claim to attempt to get resolution for the noise.

It's no longer possible to be incognito as any moving of the cranks, even in breeze mode soft pedaling at a low cadence, has the motor emitting a loud whining noise.

Probably a bearing going out. No codes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles