Transition Relay Owners how's the bike?

Apr 25, 2019
Perth Western Australia
OK 4 rides in loving the relay! I ride almost exclusively with other ebikes and have found keeping up ok despite the fact I am probably the least fit. Will depend how far you ride I guess but our rides are usually around 800-1100m vertical. Don't see anywhere I can get a spare battery here but I see they are available in Europe and apparently through transition in the US.

Range extender may be handy for big point to point rides.

It's my first transition, love how the bike handles and feels, comes alive the steeper and gnarlier the terrain in my experience, even for someone who is as ordinary as me. It gives me the confidence to hit things I didn't hit on my old bike. I am riding a carbon PNW with an EXT Storia V3 in the rear.

I have found it a little more challenging in the tight twisty rolling hill type trails but everything else has been awesome, love the bike. I need to get my carbon wheels on the bike, The Schwalbe tires seem good but might go back to Maxxis for comparison.
Realy.jpg

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
OK 4 rides in loving the relay! I ride almost exclusively with other ebikes and have found keeping up ok despite the fact I am probably the least fit. Will depend how far you ride I guess but our rides are usually around 800-1100m vertical. Don't see anywhere I can get a spare battery here but I see they are available in Europe and apparently through transition in the US.

Range extender may be handy for big point to point rides.

It's my first transition, love how the bike handles and feels, comes alive the steeper and gnarlier the terrain in my experience, even for someone who is as ordinary as me. It gives me the confidence to hit things I didn't hit on my old bike. I am riding a carbon PNW with an EXT Storia V3 in the rear.

I have found it a little more challenging in the tight twisty rolling hill type trails but everything else has been awesome, love the bike. I need to get my carbon wheels on the bike, The Schwalbe tires seem good but might go back to Maxxis for comparison. View attachment 120877
Thats awesome to hear! Those were a lot of my experiences as well, especially navigating the tight turns climbing but that is due to the super slack HTA that I was not used to.
And as great as it would be not sure how an extender would work as the battery has to be removed to charge and the only port is up inside the downtube.

radchad

Jul 26, 2023
Longmont, Co
I have had my Relay PNW C for 4 weeks now and the bike is rad, it is so capable and fun. I have been doing many laps on gnarly terrain, additionally I have been riding Trestle bike park in winter park without the battery as a downhill only bike and it shreds. I have not touched my park or trail bike since getting this bike.

The downside, noisy as F --- seems to rattle, creek, bonk, etc. I have gone over all the connection points and torq'd to spec, i have wrapped cables, etc... still bonks and knocks.

motor is getting louder too.

PB_13;16_07.21.23_1134-(ZF-5166-16581-1-001).jpg

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
I have had my Relay PNW C for 4 weeks now and the bike is rad, it is so capable and fun. I have been doing many laps on gnarly terrain, additionally I have been riding Trestle bike park in winter park without the battery as a downhill only bike and it shreds. I have not touched my park or trail bike since getting this bike.

The downside, noisy as F --- seems to rattle, creek, bonk, etc. I have gone over all the connection points and torq'd to spec, i have wrapped cables, etc... still bonks and knocks.

motor is getting louder too.

View attachment 121077
Thats too bad, but great pic! Maybe its just the people on here complaining, but the motor noise seems to be something that keeps popping up

radchad

Jul 26, 2023
Longmont, Co
Thats too bad, but great pic! Maybe its just the people on here complaining, but the motor noise seems to be something that keeps popping up
Yea, could be, I am gonna keep lapping this beast, it is a sick bike just think there could have been better thought to the cable routing and management, I do believe that is part of the bonks and knocks, just have not gotten it right yet. The inside of the down tube amplifying it I believe, maybe some sort of sound deadening foam. etc...

Lukas1981

Apr 6, 2023
Poland
I have 500km on my motor, no noise from the bike and no rattles. Motor on certain cadencies make whistling noise but I guess it's normal ?

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Yea, could be, I am gonna keep lapping this beast, it is a sick bike just think there could have been better thought to the cable routing and management, I do believe that is part of the bonks and knocks, just have not gotten it right yet. The inside of the down tube amplifying it I believe, maybe some sort of sound deadening foam. etc...

I had mine pretty pulled apart the other day and there are significant excess cords and a loose plug, just flopping around inside the frame in multiple spots. Certainly generating noises.

I'm going to buy that pipe insulation stuff that is real light and grey in color and try and wrap it around the loose cords both forward and back of the battery ends.

I like the bike a great deal, however that new Mondraker Neat is closer to what I was looking for and I would have bought that if I had known it was being released.

radchad

Jul 26, 2023
Longmont, Co
I have 500km on my motor, no noise from the bike and no rattles. Motor on certain cadencies make whistling noise but I guess it's normal ?

lucky! This things makes so-much-noise. Lots of crunching noises like the headset it chewing on rocks, lots of bonks like there are rocks in the downtubes, etc.... who knows where it is coming from. I am beating on it pretty good, maybe I need to ride some bike paths :)

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="YouTube" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NoMaas

Jul 28, 2023
Fruita, CO
I did order the EXT Aria (high volume air shock) for my own Relay yesterday but it's going to be a month or two until I have it.
Suns since you may have messed with the shock, were there any volume spacers installed from the OEM on yours? On a size large. Thanks

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Yes. 2 volume reducers, 1 big 1 small. Take them out. It's much better that way.

I cancelled the EXT Aria air shock and ordered full Avalanche suspension instead. for the front and rear. The suspension leverage ratio is really ideal for a coil shock, so it just made sense to go that route. Also, I'm pretty weight weenie but it is an e-bike after all!

I can now use the Float X travel completely. I think I have the pressure around 227 psi (I weigh 183#s) and I'm just now starting to get up to speed now with my warranty repair and a surgery, I think I've only ridden it 7-8x and a few of those rides were a bit lame.

The Float X definitely is workable now, it just doesn't feel very active or like it's using 160mm of travel (it is).

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Couple of other notes:

1) So it has been record breaking heat here in Central Texas. 107' is common, with the heat index it's about 115' Fahrenheit. The trails here are also very chunky, especially the ones I ride. They are also steep but not for long. As much as the heat kills me, I've been riding anyways. My Relay has had a shutdown problem and it generally happens after very steep climbs about 1x per ride. It's always the same situation, I climb in the 'rocket' mode but still work my butt off. Typically, these climbs are only 2-4 minutes but it's very steep. 1st gear, rocket mode, me pedaling pretty hard. I'll get to the top and basically collapse because of the heat and when I sit there, the lights will shut themselves off after about 1 minute. Pushing the button will not restart it, but pulling the battery will. Now my motor and controller were all replaced under warranty, but the problem remains. After discussing with Transition, we agreed that the motor is overheating and shutting itself down, If I had say kept moving but maybe under less stressful conditions it might not have shut down as it might have gotten some cooling. I guess when Fall arrives I'll know if this problem still occurs. Don't feel too bad for us, it'll be between 50-85' for the other 9 months of the year.

2) My Relay has a stiff Downhill rated rear rim, a 27.5 x 2.5 DD Aggressor rear tire & an insert. Also, I'd consider my terrain so loose and rocky that it's a bit hard to really 'load' a tire really hard. But either way my rear tire rubs (harmlessly from what I can tell) on both sides of the swingarm. Picture attached.
tire rub.jpeg

Last edited:

NoMaas

Jul 28, 2023
Fruita, CO
Wow, 227! Where is your sag coming in? I’m the same weight and running 170psi; i don’t feel like i’m bottoming out. where there tokens in the fork? Assuming your on the Fox 38.

I’ve got very light tire rub on the stock 2.4” Minions.

Also in my LBS for excessive motor noise, crank rubbing sprocket/chain guide.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Wow, 227! Where is your sag coming in? I’m the same weight and running 170psi; i don’t feel like i’m bottoming out. where there tokens in the fork? Assuming your on the Fox 38.

I’ve got very light tire rub on the stock 2.4” Minions.

Also in my LBS for excessive motor noise, crank rubbing sprocket/chain guide.

Sag is right at 29%, seated.

It's odd that we are so far apart in psi. Maybe one of our gauges is way off? Maybe me having an XL with the longer CS length & the Mullet setting changes these things?

I tore my Relay apart and put all of own parts on it and am running a Mezzer Pro up front. It'll get the Hybrid coil treatment from Avy however.

Sorry you're having bike issues.

NoMaas

Jul 28, 2023
Fruita, CO
Sag is right at 29%, seated.

It's odd that we are so far apart in psi. Maybe one of our gauges is way off? Maybe me having an XL with the longer CS length & the Mullet setting changes these things?

I tore my Relay apart and put all of own parts on it and am running a Mezzer Pro up front. It'll get the Hybrid coil treatment from Avy however.

Sorry you're having bike issues.
Well I also have the volume reducers still in my shock, once I get it back I’ll be digging into the shock and the fork. I’ll update once I make these changes. My intention is for this to be by do it all bike, which in reality might not be practical.

Last edited:

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
I am super interested in this bike. I have a reign e+2 I bought last year and love it. It is heavy ish but not on trails just lifting the porker.

I hope fauza or transition can figure this out, my giant updates were 99% fine, the one previous to the last one messed up odometer, charging on bike was 5 times as long, reset motor configurations each time I charged, all fixxed by last update, fingers crossed for you guys!

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
It's an insanely good bike and I'm very happy I went this route.

That said, the rear Float X air shock is quite simply the worst modern shock I've ever ridden when combined with this rear leverage curve. It's a small- medium volume air shock combined with a very progressive rear suspension design, and even with all volume reducers removed, the rear suspension feels like it's running in to a wall of support, which it is. I swear I've ridden more plush 140mm rear suspensions! I've tried dumping air pressure but then it just drags the pedals constantly and still feels harsh. No compression knob either.

A few posts back I stated that I had ordered the EXT air shock, but a few days after that I changed directions and ordered Avalanche coil suspension front and rear and cancelled the EXT. It'll be wonderful when I receive these parts in about 6-8 weeks.

Feeling like a kid again riding and am just having so much fun.

I did get to briefly ride around on another member's (he's a fast dude!) Levo SL2 yesterday (even in my size) as we did a big aggressive bike ride together, and that's a solid bike for sure with a smoother more natural motor integration and a way better display. But for several reasons I'm glad I'm on the Relay instead for my purposes.

Regarding the motor power, well the Relay was in the stock middle setting and the Levo SL was in the high setting. The Relay still felt stronger but also a bit less natural. Adjustments in the App maybe could correct this for the F60 motor? The Relay would have been considerably stronger in the high setting. The Relay was quieter and when climbing side by side this was obvious. He's a lot larger than me and went through a lot more battery juice. Pretty sure I could have went further on my 1 battery than he could on the stock battery and the RE he was running. But really, without keeping everything exactly the same who really knows? The other for me was it was very obvious that my STA was a lot steeper in practice. We both noticed the Relay felt shorter when in the seated position but I used my eyes to drop a vertical line from the seat on the Relay and it intersects with the front edge of the rear tire, where-as the same vertical line from the seat on the SL was about halfway between the hub and the front edge of the rear tire. On the climbs, he was an excellent rider but I could see that he was fighting to keep the front wheel down and tracking straight. I do know that the SL is considerably lighter and it felt more flickable, but I think when the SL needs the RE and if you add a bash guard (I used mine 2x yesterday, hard) that weight difference really closes up. Lastly, I've learned to really appreciate the removable battery on the Relay as it allows me to manage my battery much better and get it out of my 120' garage for the last 3 months.

That's not in anyways meant to knock the SL, just some differences I noticed.

Last edited:

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Sooo yeah if anyone is interested :My Relay

My group has pretty much gone full ebike and full power ebike at that, at my weight my poor Relay can't keep up so its barley getting ridden these days.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
4,400‘ climb in about 7 miles. Full power & battery about 10% when I reached the summit.

View attachment 124517

This makes sense as based on the rate I was using up juice I guesstimated about 6k' of climbing using the middle (River?): setting.

I think it's a really impressive number for a mid power bike. It's really efficient even with an aggressive build.

Bringiton

Jun 29, 2023
Canada
I just did 6 days in a row of 100-0 riding in mostly expert terrain switching between low and medium power setting depending on steepness for those who are interested in range stats: (Carbon PNW, strong climber)
1) 34km 1100m
2) 23km 1300m
3) 25km 1150m
4) 31km 1713m (Rode 100%-0% charged to 40% rode back to 0%)
5) Bike park 50km 4k meters (about 400m manual climbing used about 20% battery)
6) 31km 1250m

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles