Thule Compact rack versus XT

AFNZ

Jun 11, 2021
New Zealand
Hi just new to eBikes and need a carrier that will be fitted on the back of a caravan so it needs to be more robust than on the car brcause if the amount of movement in the caravan on even smooth roads. Looking at both the Thule Velospace XT2 and the Compact. There’s differences in rack weight and size and $$$$. Anyone had experience with either rack on a caravan that can share some advice or opinions? The 2 bikes are 41kg with batteries out. Thanks

Morpheous

Feb 12, 2021
Hereford
Do you attach the bike rack to a tow ball on the back of your caravan?

I have a Thule velospace Xt which is a good size for e bikes and because the channel for the bikes is continuous- makes it easier to get the bikes on

AFNZ

Jun 11, 2021
New Zealand
Yes getting a ball mounted specifically for the rack. Am a bit nervous about the impact to the towball down weight.. may have to consider adding some ‘counter weight’ to caravan A frame . I have a preference for the Xt as it seems better suited to eMtbs … will have to decide very soon though as supply is very limited here in New Zealand so i need to get it while there is one available!!

AFNZ

Jun 11, 2021
New Zealand
Do you attach the bike rack to a tow ball on the back of your caravan?

I have a Thule velospace Xt which is a good size for e bikes and because the channel for the bikes is continuous- makes it easier to get the bikes on
Yes we have a towball on the caravan for current analog bike rack but will be getting it strengthened to take extra weight of rack and Rail 7’s. Have bought the velospace XT.. and agree its so easy to load and has wider spacing between bikes . Got the loading ramp too which is a really good feature .

thread

May 5, 2021
Rotorua, New Zealand
Yes we have a towball on the caravan for current analog bike rack but will be getting it strengthened to take extra weight of rack and Rail 7’s. Have bought the velospace XT.. and agree its so easy to load and has wider spacing between bikes . Got the loading ramp too which is a really good feature .

I've got two Rails (small 5 & large 7). With our current rack (Prouser Diamant) they bang together. Been looking at replacing it with the hugely expensive (NZ)$1650 Velospace XT2 (phew!!). Can you confirm the Trek Rails with both fit on with out banging against each other and that the wheel straps fit cleanly around the 2.6" tyres?

AFNZ

Jun 11, 2021
New Zealand
I've got two Rails (small 5 & large 7). With our current rack (Prouser Diamant) they bang together. Been looking at replacing it with the hugely expensive (NZ)$1650 Velospace XT2 (phew!!). Can you confirm the Trek Rails with both fit on with out banging against each other and that the wheel straps fit cleanly around the 2.6" tyres?
Yes they fit really well side by side without touching each other. I did have to buy 2 replacement “fat bike” straps for the back wheels as the standard strap was about 1cm too short for where I wanted to place the bike. I’m totally impressed with the rack.. we had a minor disaster with the towball on the back of the caravan.. the steel tongue turned out not quite strong enough and bent down to about 30 degrees with the rack and 2 ebikes.. the towball connection on the Thule hung on and held the bikes safely for we think over 100km of travel with the caravan no doubt bouncing it more with each bump ….. the arms held each bike through it all and no damage to rack or bikes !! One thing that is critical though is the right fitting tow ball - 50mm ball with an undercut section. I bought one advertised as fitting the Thule but the shaft was slightly too wide and had to get an neighbour to run it to size in the lathe. Ask the retailer of the Thule for the right towball and check it fits into the rack before you install it on your towbar.

thread

May 5, 2021
Rotorua, New Zealand
Yes they fit really well side by side without touching each other. I did have to buy 2 replacement “fat bike” straps for the back wheels as the standard strap was about 1cm too short for where I wanted to place the bike. I’m totally impressed with the rack.. we had a minor disaster with the towball on the back of the caravan.. the steel tongue turned out not quite strong enough and bent down to about 30 degrees with the rack and 2 ebikes.. the towball connection on the Thule hung on and held the bikes safely for we think over 100km of travel with the caravan no doubt bouncing it more with each bump ….. the arms held each bike through it all and no damage to rack or bikes !! One thing that is critical though is the right fitting tow ball - 50mm ball with an undercut section. I bought one advertised as fitting the Thule but the shaft was slightly too wide and had to get an neighbour to run it to size in the lathe. Ask the retailer of the Thule for the right towball and check it fits into the rack before you install it on your towbar.

Right... thanks. That's perfect. I've just a bit more work to do on the financial controller (wife) and I'm off to find the best discounted deal on the Velospace XT2. It was her Rail ebike that seems to get the most damage on the current rack so it shouldn't be a BIG deal to get clearance. Where did you get the "fat bike" straps from?

AFNZ

Jun 11, 2021
New Zealand
Right... thanks. That's perfect. I've just a bit more work to do on the financial controller (wife) and I'm off to find the best discounted deal on the Velospace XT2. It was her Rail ebike that seems to get the most damage on the current rack so it shouldn't be a BIG deal to get clearance. Where did you get the "fat bike" straps from?
the straps are a Thule ‘extra’.. I bought the rack through my local bike shop here in Havelock North and they had the straps in stock .. I think they were $30 for a pair. I paid $1475 for the rack so you should hopefully get one at similar price. Bike shop recommended they do the build of the rack instead of DIY it .. it was free and it meant that I could be sure it was constructed safely.. as was proven!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles