THIS,,,, IS TAKING THE MICK!!!!

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Picture this people.
Imagine that your first bike which you use to learn how to ride a bike 'is an ebike'.

I literally froze when I was in a bike shop overhearing a conversation between a customer and a salesman. The chap in question brought two Cube Stereo Hybrid 140's for himself and his partner and stated (and I quate), 'neither of us have ever ridden a bike before ?'.

Now, I'm no salesman. But, if you heard that (as a salesman), would you really feel comfortable selling two full fat emtb's to new recruits of the sport who've never ridden a bike before?

I'm not joking, I was genuinely waiting for some form of intervention to occur but lickedy-split, they bought the bikes without question.

Is this the world we now live in?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I rode this earlier .. it was terrifying. Couldn't have been any worse than riding an FF for the first time as a bike. Your own legs are knock blocks ..

One positive note was how damned easy it was to pedal despite having flat tyres .. You forget with our lard barges.

bike.jpg

I did pump the tyres up, put the chain on, straighten the "Quick Release !!" basket and try again - it was faster but just as scary. Give me a Kenevo anyday.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The same person with the scary bike of death just bought this, I think she's the new Female Sam Pilgrim. She's never ridden one before. It had flat tyres and the brakes didn't work. It now has air in the tyres and the brakes don't work much ... She paid €5 this morning. The salesman in the shop didn't even ask if she knew how to ride on and made no effort to make it road worthy first. There was no offer of free pedals. Totally taking advantage of the bike shortage and lady riders.

moto2.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ah yes .. a question oh wise people of the forum .. the scary bike of death had these things as valves. If you unscrewed the top cap they could be inflated with a Presta pump. So are they Presta's just with some weird super cool cap or are they something else ? The top cap had a shaft which went down into the valve stem.

what.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The same person with the scary bike of death just bought this, I think she's the new Female Sam Pilgrim. She's never ridden one before. It had flat tyres and the brakes didn't work. It now has air in the tyres and the brakes don't work much ... She paid €5 this morning. The salesman in the shop didn't even ask if she knew how to ride on and made no effort to make it road worthy first. There was no offer of free pedals. Totally taking advantage of the bike shortage and lady riders.

View attachment 63070
Only just thought about this .. So Mullet's aren't really a new thing then.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Ah yes .. a question oh wise people of the forum .. the scary bike of death had these things as valves. If you unscrewed the top cap they could be inflated with a Presta pump. So are they Presta's just with some weird super cool cap or are they something else ? The top cap had a shaft which went down into the valve stem.

View attachment 63071
Are they Woods valves?

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
its just a bike. he didnt sell him 2 AK47's
Lol. True that @Rekt

But something tells me this is something we're gonna see more and more of approaching the summer.

Shortage in bike supply and people spending more for what they truly need.

Fair play to the chap who bought the two bikes without doing finance.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
I rode this earlier .. it was terrifying. Couldn't have been any worse than riding an FF for the first time as a bike. Your own legs are knock blocks ..

One positive note was how damned easy it was to pedal despite having flat tyres .. You forget with our lard barges.

View attachment 63067

I did pump the tyres up, put the chain on, straighten the "Quick Release !!" basket and try again - it was faster but just as scary. Give me a Kenevo anyday.
Does that kickstand get in the way when you're pedaling Zimms?
I don't think any of us want you to have an OTB moment ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Does that kickstand get in the way when you're pedaling Zimms?
I don't think any of us want you to have an OTB moment ?
I thought it was quite cool it had that .. Plus the rusty patina ... I can see Spesh soon adding a similar fold down stand to one side of their pedals. :p

It's the perfect bike for people who have pedal strikes !

Edit - and it weight like - NOTHING ! .. Though that might be because most of it has reacted with other things and no longer exists as it was intended.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
people spending more for what they truly need.
Are you new here? There are any number of manufacturers with halo models that cost 2-3 times as much as the entry level version and I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of purchasers of said halo model get more out of the bragging rights (actual or perceived) than the benefits bestowed by the high end build kit.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Are you new here? There are any number of manufacturers with halo models that cost 2-3 times as much as the entry level version and I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of purchasers of said halo model get more out of the bragging rights (actual or perceived) than the benefits bestowed by the high end build kit.
I get that @Doomanic . Really, I do.
But the incident just took me by surprise that's all.
It's one thing to hear/read about it. Its another to see it yourself.

Makes you wonder how much new riders are spending just to get a bike nowadays due to availability.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Someone who buys two eBikes and apparently doesn't need credit would have bought them anyway, regardless of the supply situation. Some folks just have to have the very best; they consider they've worked hard enough to be able to afford the big house, fancy car, ski holiday and beach holiday so why would they skimp on a bike or two. Let's face it, a pair of Cubes is probably just last year's holiday budget anyway.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Someone who buys two eBikes and apparently doesn't need credit would have bought them anyway, regardless of the supply situation. Some folks just have to have the very best; they consider they've worked hard enough to be able to afford the big house, fancy car, ski holiday and beach holiday so why would they skimp on a bike or two. Let's face it, a pair of Cubes is probably just last year's holiday budget anyway.
Sounds like a cheapskate buying cubes instead of diamonds.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I know, right? That's just a product of the current supply issue; in normal times it would be full on dentist spec Levos or Rails but the poor dears have to settle with dental hygienist spec Cubes instead...

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Yeah. You're probably right @Doomanic .

Maybe I'm just stunned at the salesman's approach. Your earlier comment (funny as hell), is true. But I was just waiting for the salesman to say something like, 'Have you considered the Cube Reactions' or, 'The Cube Stereos'.

I dunno. Maybe it's just me. Never been the kind of person to spend just for the sake of spending.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I don't see an issue, a push bike is push bike motor or not, half the people you see riding on the trail these days struggle to control 'any' bike. They'll probably only ride them on cycle paths in the dry anyway, when the winter comes back in July they'll be going cheap on Ebay!

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
I don't see an issue, a push bike is push bike motor or not, half the people you see riding on the trail these days struggle to control 'any' bike. They'll probably only ride them on cycle paths in the dry anyway, when the winter comes back in July they'll be going cheap on Ebay!
Lol. Preach!!!!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
When I bought my first mountain bike ( Gary Fisher Wahoo.. rigid forks ) ..the owner of the shop where I bought it from told me to buy the best bike I could afford ..because if I caught the bug I would wish I'd bought something better ..
In a way he was right as I did catch the mtb bug and upgraded within a year ..( but I had a hoot serving my apprenticeship on the wahoo).
My point being here ..the folks who have just spent a small fortune on the two bikes may well have saved themselves some money in the long term by buying at the top end ..and if by some strange quirk of fate they don't like mtb'ing..they ain't going to have too much trouble moving them on ...?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles