Taking eMTBs into France in the van

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
I know there is a forum trip to Europe this year...
..hopefully someone can help. Better yet, if its based on actual experience..!
I want to put my eMTB in the van and drive into France. Do I need to complete any papers to avoid customs fees, fines or what have you..?
I know those folk with non road-registered motorcycles and such have to fill out forms for a carnet; as class 1 bikes arent road registered, I wondered if the customs lot get sniffy with £4-5K eMTBs going across without somehow proving they arent being imported first..?

TIA

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
They are likely to ask me to prove I am the owner of the motorcycle I will be transporting though..!
Why not the eMTB...?
And because, unlike the motorcycle, there are no registration docs associated with a Class1 eMTB, I wondered if there was something I needed to do in order to not get my jollies fooked by Brexit BS before Ii even start..!

It’s fine ! They don’t ask for your car docs !

Can I ask if you know this from experience mate..?

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
You can just take through. Be aware though, there are massive fines and potential prison sentences for possession of chipped bikes in France. Definitely worth removing before travel.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
They are likely to ask me to prove I am the owner of the motorcycle I will be transporting though..!
Why not the eMTB...?
And because, unlike the motorcycle, there are no registration docs associated with a Class1 eMTB, I wondered if there was something I needed to do in order to not get my jollies fooked by Brexit BS before Ii even start..!

Can I ask if you know this from experience mate..?
I haven’t yet but know some who have and it was fine .
I don’t know the official laws though so it’s worth checking to be safe 👍

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
My vehicle was checked on Monday by French customs, complete with two e bikes inside it. They had no interest in the bikes at all.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Individual persons differ of course, but in the main the French hate the English and will do whatever they can to make life difficult for them. It has been that way for hundreds of years. I know many French people and they are delightful ( :) ) but French officialdom is another matter. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Yeah I get that, seems like we're returning to the old days of wagon drivers buying off the cops with a sleeve of tabs.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Individual persons differ of course, but in the main the French hate the English and will do whatever they can to make life difficult for them. It has been that way for hundreds of years. I know many Fench people and they are delightful ( :) ) but French officialdom is another matter. :rolleyes:
I’m not racist cos I like John from the Ruby ☺️

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
but in the main the French hate the English and will do whatever they can to make life difficult for them

Now there's a sweeping statement for 68 million people!

Have you spent much time in France? Never found them to be anything other than super friendly and helpful on my travels. My personal experience is further north you go (and close proximity to Calais in particular) you might increase your chance in meeting the odd asshole... but hey, kinda similar to London really.

But i'd be a lot more chilled in the French Riviera than sitting in a booth waving rude English people onto a ferry! :ROFLMAO:

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Took my ebike to Morzine 2years ago in van along with normal bike they never even looked in the van from what I remembered went through tunnel the lady at desk checking as drive to channel tunnel said I could register van as 4X4 with roof rack rather than van that’s with a Transit custom

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
I appreciate the comments but think I should point out that the Brexit transition period ended with the start of the new year . Meaning from January 1st 2022, the days of being waved ahead no questions asked, are likely well and truly over....

Not sure about the Dublicate-list...
taken from the from
"

You can only use the duplicate list procedure for the following United Kingdom (UK) goods carried in baggage:

• professional effects (for example, tools, survey, film and

radio equipment, theatrical properties, musical instruments

and so on

• works of art and other goods exported solely for exhibition,

display or demonstration purposes

• trade samples

• trophies which are the property of a recognised sporting

association or organising body permanently established in the UK
  • "

• Carnet is used by racers competing abroad typically...( cars, m/c, bikes or whatever)
  • Eurotunnel would insist I went freight if I am racing...so thats a no go too!

• Im going to be really pissed if they stop me, fine me or charge me duty ..
  • Thnx 4 the heads-up re: chipped e-bikes.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Now there's a sweeping statement for 68 million people!

Yes, I know, that is why I restricted it to officialdom. I have travelled to France for 40 years, initially on holiday (by car) and later on business. I speak enough French to get by but I certainly could not be mistaken for anywhere even approaching fluent. I have had French colleagues for many years and we worked together very successfully. I have had a French boss and a Frenchman that worked directly for me for several years. He and I were both told of the arrangement by our French super boss who told us that he was interested to see if a Frenchman could work for "les rosbifs." We could. I am still in touch with the French director I reported to via another guy (an Austrian). Nothing too close, Xmas cards and the occasional phone call or email. He sponsored my daughter to work at his factory for 8 weeks, 25 years ago. Last month, I spent 10 days near Montpellier, touring the area. My daughter has had a job out there since Nov'21, her husband is having a lot of difficulty getting a visa to live there as other than a tourist. They both speak fluent French and have found the French bureaucracy absolutely mind numbing

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Individual persons differ of course, but in the main the French hate the English and will do whatever they can to make life difficult for them. It has been that way for hundreds of years.
TBF it's simply Karma. ;)
Just take a look at the history of the English (British empire).
You're a very unlikeable nation.

They both speak fluent French and have found the French bureaucracy absolutely mind numbing
My yongest daughter is dual nationality French/Scottish and her French Mother has lived in Scotland for nearly 30 years. Trust me UK bureaucracy for English speaking French citizens to remain living here is now actually worse.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
We just travelled on the Eurotunnel last week to France, no contents checks at all. They gave the passports a cursory look over but that was about it. Took the family and 4 bikes.

The NHS lost my covid pass details as well so I only had a covid pass for my wife. Took a chance with the border and they didnt care; didnt even mention it.

jhonmartin692

Apr 12, 2022
England
As far as I know If you're just driving into France from the UK, i.e. visiting, then you can bring as many bikes as you want for as long as you want.

jhonmartin692

Apr 12, 2022
England
Looks like you'll definitely need a bike stand if you're going to be riding in those kinds of conditions! Make sure you invest in a good quality one so that it can withstand the wind and rain.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Yes, I know, that is why I restricted it to officialdom. I have travelled to France for 40 years, initially on holiday (by car) and later on business. I speak enough French to get by but I certainly could not be mistaken for anywhere even approaching fluent. I have had French colleagues for many years and we worked together very successfully. I have had a French boss and a Frenchman that worked directly for me for several years. He and I were both told of the arrangement by our French super boss who told us that he was interested to see if a Frenchman could work for "les rosbifs." We could. I am still in touch with the French director I reported to via another guy (an Austrian). Nothing too close, Xmas cards and the occasional phone call or email. He sponsored my daughter to work at his factory for 8 weeks, 25 years ago. Last month, I spent 10 days near Montpellier, touring the area. My daughter has had a job out there since Nov'21, her husband is having a lot of difficulty getting a visa to live there as other than a tourist. They both speak fluent French and have found the French bureaucracy absolutely mind numbing
All seem like decent helpful French folk with not a lot of hate for the English 😂

And you mean ‘edited to officialdom’

as you were Steve…. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles