Getting an EMTB into the back of a car

• Thread starter Deleted member 2899
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2899

Love my Trek Powerfly but my god it's heavy. I can get mine into the back of my VW Passat but it takes a bit of doing. The bike is heavy, the pedals get caught and the handlebars are very wide. I've found that layering a few sheets of plastic sheeting/tarpaulin helps the bike to slide. Does anyone have any other useful tips?

Alan

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO
Love my Trek Powerfly but my god it's heavy. I can get mine into the back of my VW Passat but it takes a bit of doing. The bike is heavy, the pedals get caught and the handlebars are very wide. I've found that layering a few sheets of plastic sheeting/tarpaulin helps the bike to slide. Does anyone have any other useful tips?

Alan

Yep, its a lower back disaster for me. I get my wife to help me... goes much easier with two.

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
My Commencal is a beast as well, even with the front wheel removed.

I'm about to swap the axles out for tool-less axles so i can take off both wheels before loading

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Join a body building gym and bulk up?

mine has a low skid plate so I can slide it along on that, take the battery out also that helps.

with the wheels and battery out mine is dead easy to man handle.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Remove the pedals and the front wheel. Once you have done it a few times it becomes quick and easy. The bike will slide in more easily. Also, it will fit into a smaller space as it is now flat. I lay a towel on the frame and lay the front wheel on top of that. I didn't used to use a towel, until I noticed that the tyre had polished the paint finish off the top tube on one long journey!

You should be able to put a clockwork bike straight in by yourself like this, but emtbs are just risking a back strain. So, get someone else to lean in from the side door to support the front end and guide it in, or out.

I gave up on years of in-car storage when I bought an emtb. I believed that they were just too heavy for my already injured back. So I converted to a tow-bar and rack. It works well, but the reduced security causes the occasional concern.

Telkwa

Mar 5, 2019
PNW
We're facing the same problem. Two ebikes, not just one. And I added stem extenders because we're old and need to get some weight off the hands. My bike is 4' tall at the tips of the GP5 Ergon bullhorns.
We took tape measures and bikes to the nearest auto mall. The Ford Transit Connect just barely accepts the bikes standing up. Pretty sure there isn't a mini-van or SUV on the market with a 4' hatch height.
We ride every day we can, and our usual place is 15 minute drive away. I don't want to disassemble/reassemble both bikes every time we go. Dragging them in and out on their sides is not workable.
We're using a cheap Nashbar hitch rack. As you guys know, hitch racks are not the ultimate answer. I hate to leave the bikes unattended for ten seconds, even with locks and cables.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
My back is knackered, thinking of towbar and bike trailer, luckily living in the Peak District I can ride from home but I want to do trails that are a bit further away.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I thought my Focus would fit in my Outlander easily, I didn't anticipate how much bigger it is than my old hardtail mountain bike! It just about goes in, stood up without the front wheel on.

D

Deleted member 2899

I'm not too keen on effectively dismantling the bike approach. I draw the line at removing the front wheel and battery.:)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
About removing the front wheel, my advice was based upon the front wheel having a QR lever release and disc brakes. If yours has neither, then I agree it could feel a bit like dismantling.
And I guess that some batteries are not easy to remove (mine doesn't come out at all).

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk

Alan
Is your Passat an estate?
I recently bought a BMW 5 series touring, purely to be able to get my bike in.
My routine is, place a tarp in the loading area to protect the interior, then remove the front wheel and push down the dropper post.
I then lift the back wheel into the first couple of inches of the boot area, and then while holding the fork legs wheel the bike to the back of the car. I then just lay it on it's side and use a strap on the anchor points in the boot to stop it moving around whilst in transit.
If necessary I can also lay blankets on the bottom bike and put another bike on top without causing any damage to either bikes.
I recently had two 2019 Levos in the boot with all our kit.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I can get mine into my Nissan Patrol 4x4 easy as. I can even fit the wife’s bike in if I take the front wheels off and stand them up.

8A1A582F-0D02-4FBF-B81D-55FF193EAD0D.jpeg

BammBamm

Nov 21, 2018
Straya
I pick mine up, one hand under the bottom bracket and the other hand near the top of the seat tube. Have found this the easiest method to lift it up and over my hitch.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you are regularly transporting your bike, I think its worth getting a cheap van. You only need something basic, but there's a lot be said for just being able to sling your bike and gear in easily and drive off - also means your bike isn't on display.

I would rather carry my bike in the back of a car, than on a hitch rack, as in Britain at this time of year the road salt and weather means that your bike gets caked in all sorts of crap.

Monkeychops

Oct 7, 2018
Malmesbury, Wiltshire
My routine is, place a tarp in the loading area to protect the interior, then remove the front wheel and push down the dropper post.
I then lift the back wheel into the first couple of inches of the boot area, and then while holding the fork legs wheel the bike to the back of the car. I then just lay it on it's side and use a strap on the anchor points in the boot to stop it moving around whilst in transit.

Pretty much what I do. Trek powerfly, toyota prius. I have to put the rear seats flat too.

nakme

Mar 5, 2019
north west

Alan
I did exactly this when I had my Kenevo. The tarpaulin works wonder to help the bike to slide;)

D

Deleted member 2899

I'm envious of all you guys with the vans and SUV's but your solutions don't really help me I'm afraid.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I don't think there is an easy way of getting it in a normal estate car.

Only thing I can think of is a shelf that slides out so you can lay the bike on it and slide it back in... If that makes sense? :unsure:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm envious of all you guys with the vans and SUV's but your solutions don't really help me I'm afraid.

You say the pedals catch and the bars are too wide. One proposal was removing the pedals and the front wheel (so it lays flat) Another suggestion was a tarpaulin to make the bike slide more easily, and to drop the saddle to give more room. I used to do all four of those and they worked very well indeed. You have rejected those. All the other solutions require a van or an SUV, also rejected.

That leaves an external solution; either a roof rack, a boot rack or a tow bar rack. I have used the first two of those before going for the internal solution. But the weight of the emtb forced me to the tow-bar rack solution. For me, it was a more satisfactory solution overall than buying a van.

D

Deleted member 2899

Not sure how you think I'm rejecting dropping the saddle seat and using a tarpaulin, they were in my original post. I was looking for ideas like the one suggested above along the lines of a sliding shelf but perhaps a way of actually implementing it.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Maybe some 12mm ply roughly cut to the shape of the boot floor, carpeted on the top and maybe underneath depending on what it will be sliding across.

A couple of folding/hinged/removable legs on the end that will stick out from the car to keep it level with the boot floor.

I'd try to draw it but I can't draw :giggle:

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Maybe a sideways version of this - The tips above have helped me but I'm in the similar position as I'd like to find a solution for the car but I may end up just going for a van.

D

Deleted member 2899

Someone else mentioned sliding panels but that would be tricky to implement in the boot of a Passat saloon but it has set me thinking along those lines.

D

Deleted member 2899

No problem, obviously that's just a rough idea, I'm sure you can improve on it ;)
It would have to be some form of shelf on a cantilever mechanism that lifts and pulls back. The problem I envisage is that it is likely to turn out to be as heavy as the bike. :rolleyes:

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
It would have to be some form of shelf on a cantilever mechanism that lifts and pulls back. The problem I envisage is that it is likely to turn out to be as heavy as the bike. :rolleyes:

It could be easy to over engineer it I guess, maybe just a removable shelf that one end would just sit on the boot floor and supported the other end on garage or drive floor, then slide it in.

Is the floor completely flat with seats folded down?

D

Deleted member 2899

It could be easy to over engineer it I guess, maybe just a removable shelf that one end would just sit on the boot floor and supported the other end on garage or drive floor, then slide it in.

Is the floor completely flat with seats folded down?
No that's one of the obstacles that cause the pedals to catch.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles