Getting an EMTB into the back of a car

• Thread starter Deleted member 2899
  • Start date

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Why don't you buy a boot liner? I have one in my wife's Merc estate if I am using that, its designed to cover the entire load area with the seats down, laps up the sides of the car, and has a flap that comes over the bumper to protect it when loading. Just pop the from wheel off and shove the bike in, job done.

Something like this:

Volkswagen Passat Estate (Lowered Floor) 2015 - Onwards Custom Boot Liner

volkswagen-up-to-front-seats-boot-liner-[2]-5805-p.jpg

Taff

Mar 7, 2019
UK
I have L200 short load bed and have to take saddle and wheels out to fit. Taking one pedal off to aid a slide sounds good - not to much of a heart ache. Will try this pm.
Battery out also takes some weight off - its a high lift ??

D

Deleted member 2899

Why don't you buy a boot liner? I have one in my wife's Merc estate if I am using that, its designed to cover the entire load area with the seats down, laps up the sides of the car, and has a flap that comes over the bumper to protect it when loading. Just pop the from wheel off and shove the bike in, job done.

Something like this:

Volkswagen Passat Estate (Lowered Floor) 2015 - Onwards Custom Boot Liner

View attachment 11599
I would if was an estate I wouldn't have a problem but it's a Passat saloon

Sparky

Mar 29, 2018
UK
Love my Trek Powerfly but my god it's heavy. I can get mine into the back of my VW Passat but it takes a bit of doing. The bike is heavy, the pedals get caught and the handlebars are very wide. I've found that layering a few sheets of plastic sheeting/tarpaulin helps the bike to slide. Does anyone have any other useful tips?

Alan

Buy a tailor made boot liner for your
Love my Trek Powerfly but my god it's heavy. I can get mine into the back of my VW Passat but it takes a bit of doing. The bike is heavy, the pedals get caught and the handlebars are very wide. I've found that layering a few sheets of plastic sheeting/tarpaulin helps the bike to slide. Does anyone have any other useful tips?

Alan

Terry

Jan 4, 2019
Hampshire
I have a Hyundai i10. I remove both bike wheels, drop the seat down, slide the front passenger seat as far forward as it will go and tip the rear seat backs forward. Then placing a bin liner over the gears and chain wheel slide the bike in on its left side ( chain wheel up), back end first. Old curtain over the frame and wheels on top. Fits easily. Downside is you can't get anyone else in the car!

Taff

Mar 7, 2019
UK
Love my Trek Powerfly but my god it's heavy. I can get mine into the back of my VW Passat but it takes a bit of doing. The bike iheavy, the pedals get caught and the handlebars are very wide. I've found that layering a few sheets of plastic sheeting/tarpaulin helps the bike to slide. Does anyone have any other useful tips?

Alan
Put an old plastic picnic plate under my pedal yesterday and it made sliding the bike in and out of the L200 much easier.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I would if was an estate I wouldn't have a problem but it's a Passat saloon

Why would you buy a saloon? I dont understand the point of them, the same size as an estate car but way less practical.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Why would you buy a saloon? I dont understand the point of them, the same size as an estate car but way less practical.

While it's obviously personal choice I do agree, I had a Mazda 6 saloon once but the smaller Mazda 3 hatchback I replaced it with was much more practical.

D

Deleted member 2899

If I was in the market for car now I would consider either an estate or an SUV but I'm not going out to buy a new car just because I've acquired a mountain bike so your contribution is of no use whatsoever but thanks for taking the time.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Tbh it was a genuine question, I've never understood the point of saloon cars (excepting oddities which you cannot buy in estate format, like the m5).

D

Deleted member 2899

Tbh it was a genuine question, I've never understood the point of saloon cars (excepting oddities which you cannot buy in estate format, like the m5).
Can I respectfully suggest then that you start your own thread and not hi-jack mine.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Is it possible to take both wheels off and just put it upright on the back seats? You could put covers on the seats.

D

Deleted member 2899

For anyone still interested and after taking on board some of the suggestions I have found that the following works for me: Back seats down, double layers of tarpaulin, front wheel off, battery off, chain-set side pedal off. Place the other pedal, that is on the floor side, in a plastic bowl and place the bike in, chain side up and slide forwards. It was all reasonably easy. I was even considering buying an SUV so this has saved me some money :)

Last edited by a moderator:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Apart from not having to remove a battery, that is exactly what I used to do with my clockwork bike. I took both pedals off though, so I didn't have to bother with a washing up bowl.

I would recommend an old towel over the frame and lay the front wheel on top of that, disc side up. The wheel won't move and the towel protects the frame from any vibration causing the wheel to scuff the frame.

D

Deleted member 2899

Apart from not having to remove a battery, that is exactly what I used to do with my clockwork bike. I took both pedals off though, so I didn't have to bother with a washing up bowl.

I would recommend an old towel over the frame and lay the front wheel on top of that, disc side up. The wheel won't move and the towel protects the frame from any vibration causing the wheel to scuff the frame.
Good idea but I am able to wrap the tarp back on itself over the bike to achieve a similar result.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles