Best Way To Carry E Bike by Car?

Antz26

Feb 12, 2019
Manchester
Hi, new to ebike and want to know how people get the bikes about? Was thinking about roof rack but unsure on weight etc? Are people using some sort is carrier that’s bolts to a tow bar? Cheers. Ant

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't think there's really any best way without stating your car, it's constraints and the sort of use it gets.
The "best" way as @Dax helpfully explained above is inside the car.
if this is not convenient/possible many other alternative solutions are readily available to fit to the exterior of most cars.
Bear in mind it's really no different to carrying any other bike except for being a few kilos heavier.

skyfree

Aug 31, 2018
Fremont, CA USA
I use a U-Haul furniture pad (US$15) and my truck's tailgate. The furniture pad is folded over so it's doubled up for protecting the tailgate from scratches. I can throw 3 bikes over it, but it's not easy lifting a 50-lb bike up there. U-Haul: Quilted Pad

Mattwilko92

Aug 22, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
I use a Thule Thruride. I have a 2019 Specialized levo. Front wheel off and battery out its <16kg which is within the limit of the carrier and also light enough to easily lift. Battery and wheel in the boot with kit bag - job done.

Stanny

Jan 19, 2019
Guernsey
57KTJJrkRSC0RVCAH2DO8g.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I used to use a boot rack for my clockwork bike. It was secure from falling off even at 80mph, but not safe from theft. Ditto roofrack, so I put the bike in the car. Years passed until I got an emtb. My weak back prevents me from stowing the emtb in the back of the car. (Rear seats down, front wheel off, slide in, back goes!). I discounted a roof rack, because I didn't want to have to lift a heavy bike up onto the roof bars. Even if I could do it before a ride, I have received enough shoulder injuries to know that I may not be able to lift it up after a ride.

So, for me, the answer was a tow-bar and rack. Expensive and a right faff getting one fitted and working with the car's electronics. But once fitted I'm very happy with it. Easy to use, no straining and I can see it in the rear mirror so I know its still there! The hardest thing us actually transferring the rack from the garage to the tow bar as the rack itself weighs 18kg!

Last edited:

Mavik

Jan 4, 2019
Malaysia
I have a Thule roof rack which I used for my normal bike. The ebike was way too heavy for me to lift it up to place it on the roof so I took out my boot rack again just specifically for the ebike. Definitely not the safest option as you can't leave the bike on the car alone.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Saris bones is quite possibly the worlds most awkwardly designed strap on rear window mounted bike rack and struggles with any bike with an even vaguely interesting frame.
AVOID!

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
The best way is pretty subjective to each rider and their needs/car/health.

I'll be using my Thule 3 bike towbar rack on my current car as a bad back rules out lifting them into the back of the car. The rack has had 3 40lb+ DH bikes on it a fair few years ago with no problem so 2 EMTB's will be fine. I used a cable lock looped through the car chassis, rack and bikes for anti theft whilst stopped at lights/ nipping into a shop. Really miss my MPV/minivan where the bikes just rolled in the back.

I've also got a towball fitted to the wall of my alarmed garage along with a ground anchor for the same security rated cable to thwart the less experienced thief. Makes for a pretty space efficient storage solution for the rack and bikes and even doubles as a second work stand for simple jobs.

Last edited:

Mattwilko92

Aug 22, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
Problem with them is, like anything that actually makes contact, it does scratch or marr paintwork. But if your not bothered about that then its a good cost effective solution.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
The rubber feet can mark the car but the hooks make no mark at all. It hasn’t on mine.

As you can see I’m not precious about the car at all, but I wouldn’t put this on my pride and joy :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles