Best Way To Carry E Bike by Car?

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
This Thule has max. 90 kg capacity
Thule EasyFold XT
I have used this model for 1 year - It's very stable and easy to mount. And it folds into a very compact size.
It also uses the "torque limiter", so You don't squeeze Your carbon frame :eek:(y)
575 Euros at Amazon

20180716_122119801_iOS.jpg

Cooldaddygroove

Jul 11, 2018
Vancouver, BC
90% of the time I am only hauling my own bike to meet other riders. I already have a 2-bike platform rack, and its heavy as f*ck. Pushing a 50lb MTB up to a roof rack sucks, especially after a hard ride when your arms are jello. The risk of damaging my car wasn't worth it to me, so I ended up with what I feel is the simplest/lightest/cheapest solution

Yakima Literider 2 (the 2 bike version).

I can carry the rack around in one hand as it only weighs 20lbs
I can take it off and throw it in my trunk easily.
I adapted the mounts to accommodate a single bike. The single mount on the left in the picture sits under the top tube. The two on the right sit under the seat stay linkage. They are held in place by a set screw, so all I needed to do was remove the screws, place the bike on the rack, position the brackets, mark where the new holes need to drilled, and done!

It takes 30 seconds to put the hitch on, and another 30 seconds to put the bike on and slip three ratcheted hooks. Bike is solid, and it works really well when cleaning the bike or doing bike maintenance as the wheel spin freely. I haven't used my bike stand since.
20190412_102510.jpg
20190412_102545.jpg
dc-xt____LI.jpg

Agu

Feb 3, 2019
Estonia
I ended up with Thule UpRide roof rack Thule UpRide . Its load capacity 20kg corresponds to an ebike without battery. As the bike is heavy I had to buy a step stool for convenient loading. The package works well, no need to take off the front wheel and car interior stays clean.

Moonballs

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Ormskirk
+1 for the Thule easy fold, great bit of kit. Fold up store in home or in the boot.

Issue with the 2 bike version however in case anyone is potentially buying one:

The 2 bike version, while a lot more suitable due to being smaller and having the same weight limit as the 3, does not have as high a back bar which you lock the bike to with the provided arms. For e bikes where you often have massive battery compartments and a shock lower down the only place for some bikes to be gripped by is the top of frame. The height of the back bar you use to lock your frame to is a lot lower than what you get on the 3bike version, and i could not work out any way to get my cube and a mates kenevo on at the same time.

I ended up asking thule for a replacement tube for the 3 bike version and fitted that onto my two.

rack.png

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I’ve gone the van route too, I’ve still got my car but have only driven it once since I bought the ‘bus’ - I love it!

EDIT: note to self.... must sell the car!

Unfortunately the car had to help fund the van, but I think it'll be worth it.

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Mate that’s soooo awesome.

Are you at the group ride 15th??

Yep, all being well, although I went OTB yesterday and have a suspected broken thumb as a result of breaking my fall on it ? - hoping it’ll be ok...

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
Got acouple cars, and use the Thule 925 rack between them..

Looks funny on my small offroad rigged Suzuki Jimny though :ROFLMAO:
(Picture makes it look wider than it really is, but had a good laugh taking it :p )

087DF7D5-2C39-4558-BF23-9DB0164DF4AE.png

411D21DE-E536-46E8-88AA-0464578A65D3.png

SiDobsFig

Apr 20, 2019
Ross-on-Wye
I have just got a Thule EasyFold 3 to fit on a Tow Bar. Gone are the days when I could pick mine up and shove in the car with two Springer Spaniels covered in Muck. Expensive, but needs must. Of to Brecon soon so will update then. Looks really good as can be locked in the boot while out and about. Locks to Towbar and Bikes lock also.12 bore and Dogs for the Thief's at home usually does the trick around here ;-).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles