Switching from 2019 VR to 2021 VRS - any regrets?

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
Just a query really - has anyone here upgraded to the 2021 model from a 2019 VR?

Did you regret it?

I'm attracted to the new and shiny thing... but it looks like the only things I'm gaining in the upgrade are a slightly more powerful motor, a bigger battery and 3kg of mass.

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames
I’ve got a 2020vrs, which is currently broken, so I have borrowed a 2021 model a couple of times whilst I await another motor….

I definitely like the new bike less - mostly because it’s just too heavy. The motor is a little better, smoother delivery and the rattle people go on about is no big deal for me. I noticed the higher bottom bracket straight away although getting more used to that after a couple of bikes but defo feel more ‘on’ than ‘in’ the bike. You really feel the weight, on the plus side it makes the bike very stable over the rough but on the downside it make the bike feel quite dead. Also, the battery placement makes a difference too and I find I’m having to intentionally weight the front wheel much less but it’s also much harder to get that front wheel up. My local trails are pretty moderate and imho the bike is suited for sessioning rough dh stuff, a bit of a one trick pony, and not really suited to most of the riding we have in the U.K. the old bike does dh well too but also feels lively enough on less knarly stuff. Hope that helps your choice

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I prefer the 2019 for its lighter weight, massively increased nimbleness, maneuverability and 27.5 wheels.
So much so I wouldn't want the new model at all.
It's a plow tank of a bike.
Both are fast descenders but the old one is an infinity more playful bike.

You need to ride one rather than listen to strangers on the Internet though.
If you can't cadge a shot of one the NP megawatt rides pretty similarly

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Be aware. Sizing is different.
Due to the 21 having a much steeper seat angle. If you're fairly tall you'll find a 21 with similar reach measurement to your 19 will feel very cramped when seated.
If like me you're not short but ptefer smaller bikes this will become even worse. Ie.
The M 21 is too short when seated for me. And I ride a 19 in Small (for added playfulness)
I'm 5'11 though so on modern geo I'm generally recommended by most manufacturers to ride size Ls. But long wheelbase juggernauts just don't suit my old skool playful riding style.

#headfuckhuh?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
my old skool playful riding style
1645103777477.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. Something like that Zims but either drifting, in the air or hanging off the back with the front wheel in the air.

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames
Be aware. Sizing is different.
Due to the 21 having a much steeper seat angle. If you're fairly tall you'll find a 21 with similar reach measurement to your 19 will feel very cramped when seated.

That was my exact feeling the fist moment I jumped on the 21' bike. I'm only 5'7" and riding a small so easy enough to get to a comfortable position on either bike but they are certainly different.

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames
Probably the weight, bigger battery, mullet.
More confident in it because of all the above.

Interesting. For me the 630wh battery doesn't really work... Wh/kg its far worse than the old battery and I've got comfortable enough having a spare in the rucksack most of the time so have a lighter bike + 1000Wh to use.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I've carried a spare battery a few times with my 2018 bike, never used it but been close.
I find the 630 just enough for me to not get Range anxiety, never popped it yet tho.
Both are great bikes, 21's got teething troubles. Battery cover, headset etc.
It reminds me of my old trek session 77, that was a bulldozer and confidence inspiring.
I'm just an average rider so just point and shoot, holding on for the best which is where the confidence thing works for me.
I've had 3 vitus bikes now and can't fault them or wiggle / CRC, I don't think I'd have got better service from a lbs

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
Thanks for the input guys.

I'm sticking with my 2019 VR - and over the past few weeks I've purchased a brand new spare battery, had the forks upgraded / fully serviced along with the shock, as well as replacing all the frame bearings.

Now is probably not the time to be splashing cash on new & shiny things...

After seeing the new BPW uplift prices I'm considering buying a third battery (BT-E8010) so if anyone has one in good condition for sale, drop me a line.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Thanks for the input guys.

I'm sticking with my 2019 VR - and over the past few weeks I've purchased a brand new spare battery, had the forks upgraded / fully serviced along with the shock, as well as replacing all the frame bearings.

Now is probably not the time to be splashing cash on new & shiny things...

After seeing the new BPW uplift prices I'm considering buying a third battery (BT-E8010) so if anyone has one in good condition for sale, drop me a line.

Same here. Would like a Trek Rail but not at 8k plus and cost of living is only going one way. Mine has had the 630 battery and Zeb Ultimate last year and just had second new motor under warranty, still a superb bike and can't see anything more recent is likely to be that much better so on she goes!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles