VITUS Esommet 2021 VRS

Godders76

Apr 29, 2020
Peak District, uk
New bike and wondering who else has one. I bought this, but then clocked they had the more expensive model in stock too, went to buy that but CRC couldn't stop my sale and id have to receive the bike then send it back and get the other one. Seemed a right faff and the higher model in Large sold out so I've ended up with this model.
SO I've had one cheeky outing as was waiting to get it wrapped first. I couldn't resist and had to sneak out, this thing is unreal.
Proper good fun, but man that motor knocks when it cuts out or its over rattly group. Also I gave it a quick wash, and yesterday whilst wrapping it I took off the battery cover and it was wet in there. This surprised me as I didn't hose the bike, only a wet cloth. I'm a bit worried about winter rides and may tape the edges of the battery cover to aid this.

Anyway, I'd just like a little post about these bikes so owners can help each other out, hints and tips etc. Cant wait to get my first big peaks ride in. I still need to finish off the invisiframe wrap yet, but doing this compared to buying heliptape and cutting shapes yourself has been so much easier.

timgsxr

Jun 7, 2021
Northumberland
Hi, I got mine delivered about 3 weeks ago, done around 80 mile on it so far. Bike is great, heavier than I thought it would be (25kg tubeless and with pedals) but you don't really feel that on the trail. Before buying I didn't really try many other e-bikes other than my mates merida with e8000 motor. Have to say quite dissappointed how loud the rattling is going down a hill. I have since ridden a bose motor and a bosch performance and both considerably quiter going down a trail with far less rattle. Not sure if it is just because the Vitus is alu but how people can say they barely noticed I'm not sure. Going to try various to see if I can cut the noise down.

Other than that it is awesome, done a few xc loops and some of our local steeper and chunkier trails and it absolutely ate them up!

Godders76

Apr 29, 2020
Peak District, uk
Hi mate, nice to know a fellow Vitus eeeb owner. I've only just invisiframe wrapped mine and been so busy at work Ive not not fully christened it yet. Agree with that motor noise, it was truly loud. I wondered about this motocross foam, they call it sump foam. Might fill a few gaps around the battery so mud doesn't build, but also it could help deaden the sound. Im just not sure on heat buildup. How do you find the brakes, they needed to bed in when I went out so i know they aren't up to speed yet. Awesome feel to the bike, I couldn't manual it though, YET, thats going to be work in progress, haha. Have you messed around with the app yet, if so any recommendations? Ill keep you posted of anything I find an issue or setting etc. I need to cut the dropper outer down as its too long now I have the seat lower so there's definitely too much cable inside the frame. Cant wait to fully christen the bike, I've already entered my first bike enduro up in the tweed valley too. I need to get used to it before that though :)

Godders76

Apr 29, 2020
Peak District, uk
Hi mate, nice to know a fellow Vitus eeeb owner. I've only just invisiframe wrapped mine and been so busy at work Ive not not fully christened it yet. Agree with that motor noise, it was truly loud. I wondered about this motocross foam, they call it sump foam. Might fill a few gaps around the battery so mud doesn't build, but also it could help deaden the sound. Im just not sure on heat buildup. How do you find the brakes, they needed to bed in when I went out so i know they aren't up to speed yet. Awesome feel to the bike, I couldn't manual it though, YET, thats going to be work in progress, haha. Have you messed around with the app yet, if so any recommendations? Ill keep you posted of anything I find an issue or setting etc. I need to cut the dropper outer down as its too long now I have the seat lower so there's definitely too much cable inside the frame. Cant wait to fully christen the bike, I've already entered my first bike enduro up in the tweed valley too. I need to get used to it before that though :)

vitus.jpg

Lastnight's quick spin. 1 hour loop, one bar of battery, turbo pretty much all the way. This thing flys DH. MENTALLLLL :)

Godders76

Apr 29, 2020
Peak District, uk
So I did the tweedlove Bosch EMTB enduro on weekend on this, brilliant event, really good fun.

I still don't think I'm as fast on an ebike DH due to the weight and moving it around etc, but its such good fun for a quick loop.

timgsxr

Jun 7, 2021
Northumberland
Bit of an update from me, not used the bike a lot, maybe 240 miles now but a few things I've found.

Bad

-Got a notch / bearing feeling in the motor when peddaling (easier felt when I turn the motor off), I have put in a warranty request with wiggle and they advised taking it to local shimano rep to get checked out, I haven't done that yet, however....

-...opened battery cover up the other day and the bolt that you turn to release the battery fell out with it, looks like it has sheered and the little grub screw that holds it in has done a runner, requested new battery mount on warranty but they want the whole bike back so not sure what I'm going to do. As with everyone else in the world I believe someone before me has tried to turn that bolt left to release the batter and done some damage before realising it needs to go right.

-Paint is thinner than a flys todger so get it wrapped, typically mine didn't get damaged from some heroic off but on the bike rack, wish I'd just wrapped before I took it out.

-Noise / rattle. So I have done a few things to help sort this, one is to put a strap (tube carrier) in the middle of the downtube to close that tight and stop it slapping / knocking but yeah taping it probably even better. When I took out the battery mounts to get the battery out after the release breaking I used some deading material off ebay to close the area between the motor and the big echoey downtube, it seems to have made a massive difference, the motor rattle is still there but nothing like before.

Good

-The thing is a weapon, it just rips down a rough trail even the budget rockshox has got me wondering how I get my normal bike to handle more like the eeb. Its definetly improving my riding full stop.

-The battery seems to last pretty well in eco

-Brakes with shimano pads in are really nice and progressive (for shimanos anyway)

-Wheels must be made from super super strength alloy as they take a hiding and haven't budged.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I've got the invisiframe, just waiting for the bike.
This is making me think about keeping my 2018 sommet just in case I need to return to base but I expect you'll just buy the new mechanism (and I rekon that's what they'll be thinking) although I've had great warranty with them

Godders76

Apr 29, 2020
Peak District, uk
I bought the invisiframe kit and did it myself. I put some extra mastic rubber tape on certain points on the frame to fully protect it so I've not had any marks on mine yet. Since my initial post about the rattle it was kinda user error. The clutch was off on the mech so that was causing my excessive noise, however, the motor does make a noise for sure. I might try to put foam into the battery cavity yet. Ive done nearly 300miles on mine now, motors working a treat. Ive done some long rides and find eco a great option if you still want a workout. Ebike can be annoying over the cut off point though, I find I get to that then on flatter trails it holds me back. I do love it for a quick blast though, and sometime I just grab the bike and head out for a quick 1 hour 30min blast, no bottle, food or tools. Its like being back in the early 90's :)

Oh I feel that I've not got my forks fully dialled in yet too. Just tried an extra volume spacer thingy, but feel its too harsh so that's coming back out and an air top up instead.

For the money I feel the bike is hard to beat. Yeah it doenst have that high end appeal that some desire, but its such good fun who bloody cares !

Vandalbulldog

Sep 6, 2021
Skipton
Just Invisiframed my pair of e-Sommet 2021 VRS's. I'd say it took about four hours to do the first and three to do the second. I followed the instructional video to the letter (5ml of baby shampoo to 1l of water, pump sprayer, Autoglym Tar Remover etc.). The key for me was plenty of spraying on both sides of the invisiframe pieces AND the frame (once it had been de-greased) and then squeegy from the middle out, obsessing over removing all water. Once all had dried, I did have two tiny bubbles, one on each bike but you can't tell. Super easy to keep the frames clean now and looking forward to the paintwork lasting a lot longer than usual!!

Also agree with Godders76 - Money well spent and very hard to beat, amazing on the downhills and tons of bloody fun everywhere else :)

Barnicles

Aug 8, 2020
Uk
I can also confirm that the paint is pathetic on the blue bike. Literally every ride it was coming back with new scratches without any crashes. Luckily the marks have been hidden with the Invisiframe kit and now it doesn't mark so easily. It's easily the easiest bike to mark that I've ever had and I'm not one to normally mind a few battle scars but I couldn't leave it to get worse.

Cracking little bike though. The rattle doesn't bother me as its normally only heard when going downhill. I did find the rear shock to lack mid stroke support and had to fit a megneg which has helped a lot. I'd love to coil it but am scared the suspension design won't work.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I did find the rear shock to lack mid stroke support and had to fit a megneg which has helped a lot. I'd love to coil it but am scared the suspension design won't work.
The leverage curve is a lot more progressive than the old Esommet and it seems pretty clear Vitus chose to change it for the sole reason of making the frame compatible with coil shocks. I'm surprised you were struggling for mid stroke support with the stock air shock. Before fitting the MegNeg Did you try simply running a little higher shock pressure and running less sag?

Barnicles

Aug 8, 2020
Uk
The leverage curve is a lot more progressive than the old Esommet and it seems pretty clear Vitus chose to change it for the sole reason of making the frame compatible with coil shocks. I'm surprised you were struggling for mid stroke support with the stock air shock. Before fitting the MegNeg Did you try simply running a little higher shock pressure and running less sag?
Honestly I did, yes. I found the higher pressure and lower sag to just feel harsh off the top. The megneg has helped a lot. I even messaged vitus about the coil and the reply said that the bike had been designed around an air shock and that the coil was not tested by them. Bike feels great now but deffinately lacked mid stroke support.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I found the higher pressure and lower sag to just feel harsh off the top.
Yeah. That will always be the trade off when increasing spring rate and reducing sag
I even messaged vitus about the coil and the reply said that the bike had been designed around an air shock and that the coil was not tested by them.
hmm... interesting. that's exactly what Vitus said regarding the 2018/19 ESommet despite Brayton riding a 2019 with a coil shock. I just had to look back and check you were talking about the 2021 ;)

15556062260076734419043286725251-jpg.13057

1632503991168.jpeg

Last edited:

Barnicles

Aug 8, 2020
Uk
Yeah. That will always be the trade off when increasing spring rate and reducing sag

hmm... interesting. (that's exactly what Vitus said regarding the 2018/19 ESommet). I just had to look back and check you were talking about the 2021 ;)
Just to confirm ?

This was whilst I was still setting up the megneg and trying different bands etc.

Screenshot_20210924_181905.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
a coil won't increase your midstroke support unless you have it custom shimmed to do so.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it sounds to me like you might just be unwilling to trade small bump compliance and initial softness for the midstroke support you need.
It's always going to be a compronmise and you kinda can't have best of both worlds.

I don't have a 2021 BTW but have ridden a few

Barnicles

Aug 8, 2020
Uk
a coil won't increase your midstroke support unless you have it custom shimmed to do so.
I was getting fed up and looking for a solution so willing to try something different and with my coiled pedal bike being so supportive I thought it might help. Obviously this is bike dependent. I'm actually happy with how the bike performs now with the megneg now its setup to my liking and would be reluctant to swap it for anything and get them same result.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
How's the sizing on these?
I've just got my vrx in M but feels more cramped than my 2018 with a 35mm stem, 2021's got a 50mm.
From what I can see the L is 20mm longer reach and 50mm higher seat tube

Barnicles

Aug 8, 2020
Uk
How's the sizing on these?
I've just got my vrx in M but feels more cramped than my 2018 with a 35mm stem, 2021's got a 50mm.
From what I can see the L is 20mm longer reach and 50mm higher seat tube

My medium feels like a medium to me. It's the effective top tube length that will make it feel cramped when seated as the seat tube angles are getting steeper on bikes. What bike have you come from? The bike I've come from had a 15mm longer reach but was more cramped when seated as it had a 78degree seat tube.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I was out today on my 2019 (S) with a mate on a 2021 ESommet (M).
Seated his bike is shorter. stood up reach the same length as mine but it handles completely differently with the 29" front and much much heavier overall weight. Despite only being 5mm shorter reach and having a17mm longer wheelbase a small 2021 ESommet would be unridable for me. That steering lock is horrendous too (while I'm moaning ;) )

I hate the super steep seat angle trend as I prefer a shorter more playful bike than most and like my saddle in a comfortable position for pedalling on the flat and prefer to move my weight forwards on the saddle when a climb requires it rather than being stuck in a forwards position the whole time I'm seated.
Personal preference tho init?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
On another note, I've realised I can get a bottle of whine in the battery compartment and some pork scrats.
E-bike my arse?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Honestly I did, yes. I found the higher pressure and lower sag to just feel harsh off the top. The megneg has helped a lot. I even messaged vitus about the coil and the reply said that the bike had been designed around an air shock and that the coil was not tested by them. Bike feels great now but deffinately lacked mid stroke support.
Just to confirm ?

This was whilst I was still setting up the megneg and trying different bands etc.

View attachment 72294
From the vitus site....
"Leverage Rate: We've straightened out the curve on the E-Sommet vs the 2020 versions and increased the progressivity from 8% to 25%. This change improves small bump sensitivity and mid stroke support. The increase in progression also helps with end stroke control and allows better compatibility with coil shocks."
I've put a fox x2 on mine but got the horn for an 11/6 or Ohlins

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles