Summer Gloves

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
Its 35C here and the hands are sweating during rides. I'm running Ergon GA3 grips and now these grips are becoming slippery.

I'm thinking of picking up some gloves despite the added heat. I'm reluctant to change grips due to an ongoing wrist sprain.

I was about to pick up a pair of Endura fingerless gloves, but thankfully I caught the thread on here about their poor construction. Now I'm thinking something like:

EMTBNewbie

Jun 14, 2021
California
Used the Leatt gloves as my summer gloves for both my MTB and Enduro. Dexterity with the microngrip material is great. Got a good amount of use out of the pair too. Minimalist glove that does well.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Those are absolutely terrible grips for wicking moisture/sweat from your hands.
Try Sensus grips. The ribs are designed specifically to help.
They're not ergonomic but ergonomic grips make no sense for dynamic mountain bike riding

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
These are the best gloves I have ever had, no joke. They are very thin but close fitting, and the Kangaroo skin palm works brilliantly. Offer no protection to the back of the hand, but great for summer riding.

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
Had a few over the years Fox, Endura, TLD, 100% (which are my winter choice) but I'm quite pleased with the Tasco Double Digits. Thin and simple and exactly what I want with no straps to tie, not really going to save you from much more than a gravel rash but airy and comfortable enough in hot weather. This set are about 2 years old and just starting to show a small hole in one of the thumbs. Usually I'd jump ship and try another brand but this time I feel satisfied enough just to pick a new colourway :)

tasco

Last edited:

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
They're not ergonomic but ergonomic grips make no sense for dynamic mountain bike riding

I would be genuinely interested to hear your reasoning for that statement.

I was experiencing a number of aches and pains in my hands but Ergon GA2 grips seem to have solved all the issues. I found that I had to rotate them forward several degrees to get the most out of them. I was doubtful to start, especially with regard to the difference created by rotating, but there does appear to be some benefit, at least in my case. I had previously tried the GP1 grips but they felt too bulky in my hands.

Al

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
The GA3 grips feel great for me, help reduce pain--it was likely a wrist over-extension as the bar raised with normal grips that led to the sprain. That dumb little wing adds enough support to reduce wrist extension. If you've got stronger forearms or more skill already you wouldn't need such a thing. I'd love to switch them out and go without gloves, because they are slippery AF when wet.

1624631883124.png

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
Those are absolutely terrible grips for wicking moisture/sweat from your hands.
Try Sensus grips. The ribs are designed specifically to help.

I swapped out my grips to the canyon stock to experiment, and it is an improvement in handling over having the ergonomic 'wing' for more aggressive riding. As one's skill increases it's likely that the comfort/support of ergonomic grips for tour oriented riding becomes a hazard. The round shape of the bar itself is more appropriate for highly variable hand position. Meanwhile will have to take a closer look at the wrist injury itself and see if there's a proper remedy.

In the meantime, @Gary would you recommend the Sensus Swayze over the Lizard Skin or ODI Cross Trainer Lock on? I'm wondering if the lizard skins allow airflow into the hand through the deep grooves or if the fist when closed permits zero airflow so narrow wicking channels are better. If its 35C and 95% humidity, is any of this moisture going to evaporate and gloves are simply a better choice?

1626264171329.png
1626264206953.png
1626264265964.png

Edit: I came across this as a creative solution also:

1626264889692.png

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Airflow?

Bottom line is Swayze will work with wet/sweaty hands.where the others won't
They're also velvety comfortable.. But wear out fast (TBF all grips do combined with sweat and bare hands)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ribs wick away sweat but fit whatever you want. Afterall... One man's mountain biking is another man's tennis.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles