Electric Gloves?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Thx for taking the time p3 for that layout and explanation of your winter glove collection and description of each. I figured those Sealskinz were more appropriate for a sport like snowmobiling due to their bulkiness. I just double checked that the gloves I just ordered don’t use wires up to a chest battery Which is a deal breaker if they did. They are in the wrists.
Putting the wires up the sleeves is a pain, however it makes the actual gloves better to wear as the don’t have the extra weight of batteries in the wrists.

The Sealskins ones are sold specifically as bike gloves - but I agree, they’re probably more suited to something else.

Twisted Fork

Nov 1, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
In my 30+ years of experience of working outdoors, mountaineering, ice climbing, backcountry skiing, and winter biking in Canada, often in temperatures down to-30 Celsius, I’ve spent a lot of time trying to find the right gloves. By far the best gloves I’ve ever used have been high-end ice climbing or mountaineering gloves. You’ll pay a steep price to be sure, but the reward is substantial.
They need to have a full box construction in the fingers to prevent even the slightest restriction to blood flow. Even the tiniest bit of “snugness” anywhere in the knuckles or fingers will restrict blood flow enough to turn your day into misery. They are pre-articulated and have a more pliable fabric on the underside for easier gripping and have a grippy texture for holding tools. Some also have knuckle padding too. They often also are offered in a wider range of sizes than the typical S, M, L, XL to get just the right fit. Try on as many pairs as you can find. Ones with the inside liner than has a fleece fabric with Gore Windstopper fabric are best and I’ll often use just the liner without the Gore-Tex overglove down to about -8 to -10 Celsius. Below-20, things tend to get a little more uncomfortable no matter what, but still not likely to get into frostbite territory.
Also your cockpit setup is critical… any pressure points on your hands or wrists will restrict blood flow. Winged grips like the Ergon GA3 help a lot with this (I use them year round on all my bikes). If you find yourself getting any amount of numbness from your setup during summer rides, you need to change up your cockpit to eliminate that. That’s a whole other complex topic though.
These are my favourites (kinda smashed flat from summer storage)…

F01DD77D-BEE6-422D-AB91-6E8F55938A70.jpeg

Last edited:

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
In my 30+ years of experience of working outdoors, mountaineering, ice climbing, backcountry skiing, and winter biking in Canada, often in temperatures down to-30 Celsius, I’ve spent a lot of time trying to find the right gloves. By far the best gloves I’ve ever used have been high-end ice climbing or mountaineering gloves. You’ll pay a steep price to be sure, but the reward is substantial.
They need to have a full box construction in the fingers to prevent even the slightest restriction to blood flow. Even the tiniest bit of “snugness” anywhere in the knuckles or fingers will restrict blood flow enough to turn your day into misery. They are pre-articulated and have a more pliable fabric on the underside for easier gripping and have a grippy texture for holding tools. Some also have knuckle padding too. They often also are offered in a wider range of sizes than the typical S, M, L, XL to get just the right fit. Try on as many pairs as you can find. Ones with the inside liner than has a fleece fabric with Gore Windstopper fabric are best and I’ll often use just the liner without the Gore-Tex overglove down to about -8 to -10 Celsius. Below-20, things tend to get a little more uncomfortable no matter what, but still not likely to get into frostbite territory.
Also your cockpit setup is critical… any pressure points on your hands or wrists will restrict blood flow. Winged grips like the Ergon GA3 help a lot with this (I use them year round on all my bikes). If you find yourself getting any amount of numbness from your setup during summer rides, you need to change up your cockpit to eliminate that. That’s a whole other complex topic though.
These are my favourites (kinda smashed flat from summer storage)…

View attachment 129423
Thanks for those comments TF 💨⛄💨

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Update: so far I gotta say these gloves are sweet. Great solid build quality. I was worried since other companies gloves users complained about bulky batteries And uncomfortable on their wrist. These batteries are smaller and thinner than I thought they would be. They slip into a zippered pouch under the wrist near the end of the cuff. Manual claims 3.5 hrs on high, 4 hrs on Medium and 6 hours at low.

Also says to charge for 12 hrs the first time. But the charger indicator light turned green after an hour from red so they must come close to charged already but I’ll leave them on the charger for 12 anyway This first time.

Real comfortable slipping hand inside. Has a built in curve to grip handle bars. Gloves not bulky at all.

Sizing wise fit . . . I ordered them in medium. Might be slightly snug so I ordered another pair in large. Of course, when my wife tried them she said “they fit me perfectly don’t send them back, I’ll take them” 🥲.

If the large fir me better I’ll give these to my wife. I might even buy a 3rd pair for my son in law as a surprise who has Raynards syndrome (gets cold hands and feet easily). He is probably an extra large but I’ll let him try the large first That are on the way to me.

Can’t wait to try then out below 40 now. Of course the next two days are going to be rainy 😡.

Lastly, Lithium batters scare me now after seeing some of the Chinese bikes go up in flames! I already store and charge both of my Bosch Power Tubes in a broken washing machine that I removed the plastic auger. I think I’ll keep these batteries charged and in an old metal tool box (not in the gloves) so if these Chinese (not UL approved) batteries burst into flames it will just spew out a lot of smoke and set off the smoke alarm in my basement. Keeping these gloves with the batteries in them and stuffing them into a draw with other clothing items might be a recipe for a disaster 😱

IMG_2758.jpeg IMG_2757.jpeg IMG_2756.jpeg IMG_2755.jpeg IMG_2754.jpeg

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Handlebar mitts. aka Bar Muffs

They look like dick, but are probably the best thing for keeping those handies warm.

You can also add in one each of those air activated hand warmers which will help[ heat up the inside of them.

As said, they look horrendous, but then who bloody cares what other people think..

Jasong911

Sep 27, 2023
Lakewood, CO USA
Chinese (not UL approved) batteries burst into flames it will just spew out a lot of smoke and set off the smoke alarm in my basement
If those lithium cells go up, the smoke will smell absolutely horrible and will coat everything in foul smelling residue. If you have a choice I’d recommend not charging them inside the house.

-Jason

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Update: so far I gotta say these gloves are sweet. Great solid build quality. I was worried since other companies gloves users complained about bulky batteries And uncomfortable on their wrist. These batteries are smaller and thinner than I thought they would be. They slip into a zippered pouch under the wrist near the end of the cuff. Manual claims 3.5 hrs on high, 4 hrs on Medium and 6 hours at low.

Also says to charge for 12 hrs the first time. But the charger indicator light turned green after an hour from red so they must come close to charged already but I’ll leave them on the charger for 12 anyway This first time.

Real comfortable slipping hand inside. Has a built in curve to grip handle bars. Gloves not bulky at all.

Sizing wise fit . . . I ordered them in medium. Might be slightly snug so I ordered another pair in large. Of course, when my wife tried them she said “they fit me perfectly don’t send them back, I’ll take them” 🥲.

If the large fir me better I’ll give these to my wife. I might even buy a 3rd pair for my son in law as a surprise who has Raynards syndrome (gets cold hands and feet easily). He is probably an extra large but I’ll let him try the large first That are on the way to me.

Can’t wait to try then out below 40 now. Of course the next two days are going to be rainy 😡.

Lastly, Lithium batters scare me now after seeing some of the Chinese bikes go up in flames! I already store and charge both of my Bosch Power Tubes in a broken washing machine that I removed the plastic auger. I think I’ll keep these batteries charged and in an old metal tool box (not in the gloves) so if these Chinese (not UL approved) batteries burst into flames it will just spew out a lot of smoke and set off the smoke alarm in my basement. Keeping these gloves with the batteries in them and stuffing them into a draw with other clothing items might be a recipe for a disaster 😱

View attachment 129506 View attachment 129507 View attachment 129508 View attachment 129509 View attachment 129510
Glad you're happy with them. For what it's worth, they look practically identical to the Sealskins gloves. Same battery, same pocket on the wrist, similar power / heat controls, and same gauntlet type glove.

I should have taken this photo with the battery round the other way - so see if its actually the same, but I'll check tonight.
I've put mine next to a headset spacer for size comparison, as I don't have any US quarters kicking them about. They all ended up in the toll bucket trying to get back to Orlando airport on April 😂

IMG_6357 2.JPG

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Glad you're happy with them. For what it's worth, they look practically identical to the Sealskins gloves. Same battery, same pocket on the wrist, similar power / heat controls, and same gauntlet type glove.

I should have taken this photo with the battery round the other way - so see if its actually the same, but I'll check tonight.
I've put mine next to a headset spacer for size comparison, as I don't have any US quarters kicking them about. They all ended up in the toll bucket trying to get back to Orlando airport on April 😂

View attachment 129521
Yep, battery looks identical. The Sealskinz look slightly sleeker and less bulky. I'm sure all these glove companies use mostly the same electronics.

Last edited:

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
If those lithium cells go up, the smoke will smell absolutely horrible and will coat everything in foul smelling residue. If you have a choice I’d recommend not charging them inside the house.

-Jason
I might be overly concerned with these glove batteries. I think the lithium cells in the eMTB's are more of a concern because they tie many batteries together. All my Apple devices probably use lithium batteries iphones, ipads, Apple Watches, ? Air tags.

These meltdowns seem to happen when say the NYC delivery Chinese eBikes are rode hard all day and put away in say a hallway over heated then immediately plugged into their chargers. And worse some of them they replace the batteries themselves with mongrel batteries and the battery management sensors probably go haywire. A NYC enike repair shop went up in flames a month or two ago during the night. Took the fire dept many hours to put it out as it was burning so hot.

Probably more of a concern now that I'm posting this is the chargers I've bought that were not Apple approved (I have a 50 watt Anker ipad charger in the mail as I'm typing this) and they are left plugged in all the time around my house. These glove batteries seem to be just one small flat battery like an iphone or ipad style.

I remember some years back a few laptops burst into flames on planes in the overheads. But the airlines still allow them along with everyone has a lithium battery smart phone with them.

A quick count of electric gloves on an "electric glove" search on Amazon . . . I stopped counting at 120 with more pages left. It was tough to choose as most have very weak ratings of 1,2 and 3 stars and many issues noted. And I'm sure many brands shown are the same company who just changes the name and price point. There are so many models that look exactly the same!

I'd probably be more concerned with a Tesla auto bursting into flames in your garage and look at the enormous size of that battery, that could take your house down in flames. how many Teslars have been seen burning up. Wait till the Chinese flood the world's EV markets with cheap EV's.

Do iPhones Have Lithium Batteries?

Short Answer Yes, iPhones do have lithium batteries. Lithium batteries are known for their high energy density, low weight, and long life cycles, making them ideal for powering smartphones. Since their introduction in the iPhone 4S in 2011, lithium batteries have been used in all iPhones.

Last edited:

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Handlebar mitts. aka Bar Muffs

They look like dick, but are probably the best thing for keeping those handies warm.

You can also add in one each of those air activated hand warmers which will help[ heat up the inside of them.

As said, they look horrendous, but then who bloody cares what other people think..
My daughter uses the bike mits on her road bike. I have a concern that they would interfere with me grabbing the brakes in a quick situation like my hands are not on the bars and an animal runs in front of me (like a fat squirrel).

Bar mits are also a deal breaker for me as some come with the side slot for a left handle bar plug type mirror. I use a larger verticle style mirror as I'm in traffic for 3 miles from my house to the trails.

There are also the plastic piece wind blocker/hand protector type devices, but I doubt they would give me the warmth I'm seeking. Also, I have two eMTB's, so my cost doubles as decent ones are $50 to $80 bucks for those plastic wind blockers..

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Update: Had a chance to test out this model of electric gloves this afternoon. Definite winner! Was 37 degrees here today and I got out for an hour ride. Usually anything 40 degrees (fahrenheit) or below my finger tips were cold in like 5 minutes. Not today! Hands were toasty entire ride and with a 10 MPH breeze. Only set them to medium. I don't know how long these electric gloves will last issue wise, but their build quality for $59 is outstanding IMO. I like the "battery charge left" indicator, the row of 4 round lights at the top. On off button is nice and raised for easy off and on with gloves on. Those 3 vertical bar lights indicate low, medium and high settings. Supposedly water proof and the touch screen finger tips work great on my Garmin's touch screen.

Sizing is accurate as the medium fit me great. A pair of large also came today and they are bigger where I had like a 1/2 inch of extra glove in each finger tip. I'm giving this large pair to my son in law.

These Electic gloves are right in the nick of time too, first snow of the season out there right now 🙀

IMG_2762.jpeg IMG_2764.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles