Gloves

Stevfro99

Oct 18, 2018
Huddersfield
Went on a 21 mile ride test at Dolby Forrest, 2/3 of the way round i started to struggle with palm pains, felt like the grips were rubbing, i must have been about 2 miles shy of getting blisters, I'm using some fox gloves on death grips. Any ideas if it is more the gloves or the grips????

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Without being daft, it could almost literally be anything.

Does it happen without gloves? Has it always happened on every bike you've had? Are you reaching too far forward and putting too much weight on hands? Are you too far in front of axle? Gloves could be too small, does it happen without gloves? What part of the palm? Do you grip really hard?

Stevfro99

Oct 18, 2018
Huddersfield
Without being daft, it could almost literally be anything.

Does it happen without gloves? Has it always happened on every bike you've had? Are you reaching too far forward and putting too much weight on hands? Are you too far in front of axle? Gloves could be too small, does it happen without gloves? What part of the palm? Do you grip really hard?
Its deffo something rubbing, poss the gloves on my grips, i have been suffering with my hands going numb but i think that's from putting too much pressure on the handlebars, I'm pretty new again into biking so as you could imagine I'm tensing up a lot, need to relax more.

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Also, 21 miles is a good old distance.. especially if you are somewhat new to biking it might simply be your hands toughening up a little bit, the other factors you've mentioned just try to work on a bit (not easy to relax)

I think maybe the gloves are just the wrong size and/or not the right compound on the grips, causing them to move about a little bit , probably not noticeable till you've done a few miles.

I think if it was something more major you'd get that pain across your nerve etc, being a rubbing I think its a sizing/material issue.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I use Fox Attack Fire gloves, with death grips, and have had no issues, but I do find that that fit of the glove is critical, if you have movement in the glove then you tend to get blisters

Chardy82

Feb 25, 2019
Southampton
Hi all. Just looking into some gloves and wondered if water proof ones are necessary. Looking at the sealskinz or Specialized 1.0 gloves.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
What diameter are your handlebar grips - chances are they are too narrow. I use Regular Ergon EVO's (32mm Diameter)- the grips that came on my bike were way to narrow (29mm)- IE for small hands. The EVO's are so comfy that you don't ever notice them

Produkte – ERGON BIKE

akarob

Feb 19, 2019
CT shoreline
I ride more dirt bikes but for what it's worth, I find great value in the gloves offered in big box home improvement stores. Great selection, half the price and they last just as long - not too long. I buy a few sets at a time. Hey, at least you can try them on in person.

Jaygam

Feb 14, 2019
Hampshire
Could also be the angle of the bars, a bad angle will cause pressure points in the palms. There are grips avalible that are flatter towards the ends to help with pressure sores.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The first thing I do to my favourite gloves (Dexter windproof) is to remove the gel bar across the base of the fingers. Then they are super comfy.

By the way, I have still to find the perfect glove. Waterproof ones always come with the assumption that I want a winter glove and therefore come with insulation. Then my hands sweat and I get just as wet inside as if it was raining. When I take them off, the lining comes with my fingers. Until I can find a lightweight, un-insulated, waterproof, and breathable glove, then I will make do with a windproof glove that I treat with a waterproofing agent - Nikwax do many types.

"lightweight, un-insulated, waterproof, and breathable" How hard can it be? :unsure:

Jaygam

Feb 14, 2019
Hampshire
The first thing I do to my favourite gloves (Dexter windproof) is to remove the gel bar across the base of the fingers. Then they are super comfy.

By the way, I have still to find the perfect glove. Waterproof ones always come with the assumption that I want a winter glove and therefore come with insulation. Then my hands sweat and I get just as wet inside as if it was raining. When I take them off, the lining comes with my fingers. Until I can find a lightweight, un-insulated, waterproof, and breathable glove, then I will make do with a windproof glove that I treat with a waterproofing agent - Nikwax do many types.

"lightweight, un-insulated, waterproof, and breathable" How hard can it be? :unsure:
Planet x have a good selection of gloves at reasonable prices....
Carnac Roubaix Gloves
Gloves & Mitts | Planet X

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
I ride more dirt bikes but for what it's worth, I find great value in the gloves offered in big box home improvement stores. Great selection, half the price and they last just as long - not too long. I buy a few sets at a time. Hey, at least you can try them on in person.

I ride with machanics armored gloves or something close. I don’t want my fingers shredded; South Mountain is a gigantic pile of square rocks from fist-sized to house sized many with sharp edges. Between the rocks are the cacti; brush against a fishhook barrel and it slashes; a choilla breaks off and sticks to you with barbs that slide in but won’t come out except with pliers.

These are very comfortable and work well biking:

M-Pact® Impact-Resistant Gloves

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I ride with machanics armored gloves or something close. I don’t want my fingers shredded; South Mountain is a gigantic pile of square rocks from fist-sized to house sized many with sharp edges. Between the rocks are the cacti; brush against a fishhook barrel and it slashes; a choilla breaks off and sticks to you with barbs that slide in but won’t come out except with pliers.

These are very comfortable and work well biking:

M-Pact® Impact-Resistant Gloves

Ouchy! :eek:

Guyt

Feb 22, 2021
Québec
I use heated gloves liners, so this way, I can use various gloves/mitts depending of the temperature or sport I am doing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles