Winter Gloves

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
...or too warm. I bought some winter gloves a while ago and they're so warm that I sweat buckets in them and end up getting cold.

Anyone have any experience with these? Sealskinz Waterproof All Weather

Being able to use a touch interface would be a bonus too. @Giff: Sorry to take over your thread :)

Last edited:

Trig

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
Wore my normal gloves at the weekend with a pair of thin nitrile gloves on inside them. Hands had been soaked and freezing before that. Surprised how much difference it made. Might just keep a few pairs on nitriles in my bag and switch them out if they get wet inside.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have a pair of Sealskinz DragonEye Trail MTB gloves that I bought earlier this year.

I looked for this glove on the Sealskinz website and I couldn't find it. That may be because they have stopped making them or it could point to a lack of search skills. Either way, you can still get them elsewhere.

Sealskinz make so many different types of glove that it is easy to get the wrong ones. My mate was wearing a pair of the DragonEye Trail MTB when I first saw them and I was able to try them on. I immediately bought a pair, or at least I tried to! That is when I discovered just how many gloves Sealskinz make and I bought the wrong ones to start with. The ones I linked to are the ones you want. But be careful, there are some with the same name and appearance but with the word "Ultralite" in the description instead of the word "Trail". The ultralite ones are not waterproof!

I have been searching for the perfect waterproof glove for years. I don't believe I have found it yet, but these are the best yet. :)

EDIT: SHOCK HORROR!! :eek:
Whilst I was looking for a link (the one above) I discovered that the Trail MTB gloves I had bought are not claimed to be waterproof by Sealskinz. You could have fooled me! The ones I bought (link above) have not let me down yet, nor my mate who only wears them all year round. It's a puzzle. The Sealskinz DragonEye MTB glove that they do claim to be waterproof are linked below, but I can give no advice about them. My apologies for the confusion (I blame Sealskinz)!

EDIT 2: I have just put on one of the gloves and ran my hand under the cold tap for a minute, with the water running over the back of the glove and fingers. I felt the cold first, but no wetting of my hand. I turned my hand over and let the water run over the palm, still nothing. It was only when I let the water run right into the root of the web between the fingers that I felt any water at all coming through, but it was very slight. If I hadn't seen that statement in the first link (as it appears on this page) that these gloves were not waterproof I would have continued to believe that these gloves were in fact waterproof. If I lost these gloves, I would buy another pair straight away. :)

EDIT 3: Ten mins later and the outside of the glove is wet, but the inside is still dry. Still hard to believe that they are not waterproof.

Last edited:

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Are you sure - from the listing you posted: "This is the Trail version of the Dragon Eye Mountain Bike glove which is NOT waterproof"

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I just went to the Endura website to see what their current waterproof gloves are (I didn't know they did gloves!) They have:
A quick search for reviews of the Deluge IIs came back with some positive reviews (with the standard caveats on reviews!)

Basher

May 23, 2020
GATESHEAD
I can recommend dexshell drylite waterproof gloves. Bought a pair last winter and they arent bulky or too warm and touchscreen compatible. Not cheap mind at £50

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ref my post #5 above. This is the best looking Sealskinz glove that fits the requirement of waterproof. My mate sent me a link, otherwise I would not have been able to find it on the Sealskinz site. They were £40, but £19.95 inc postage on eBay.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Ref my post #5 above. This is the best looking Sealskinz glove that fits the requirement of waterproof. My mate sent me a link, otherwise I would not have been able to find it on the Sealskinz site. They were £40, but £19.95 inc postage on eBay.

They've only got small in stock though :(

Jasext

Mar 27, 2020
Swansea Valley
Steve, what are the sizing like with the dragon eye trail and are they warm ? Any idea where to get them as most out of stock? looking for xl possibly

Tonytank

Jun 5, 2019
London
I wear the sealskinz all weather gloves. Wore them in the middle of storm alex on dartmoor. I wouldnt say they were completely waterproof mind you it was bucketing down for hours but they did keep my hands warm even when soaked. Ive had them since last winter and normal rain they are fine and keep you dry. Touchscreen works ok but some of the touchscreen strips are coming off, but they have been well used gloves and i would buy again

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I've had a pair of Brisker 100% gloves on order since Mid November last year ..initially to be sent out early December ..then updated to early January ..then late January which I was prepared to wait for ..until this morning when I got another update to say it would now be March ..
Thats a bit of a bridge to far for me as by all accounts they are an excellent glove but I wanted them for winter ..not summer riding !?
So order cancelled and I've gone for the Fox Ranger Waterproof glove which is being delivered tomorrow ...
The supply chain on all things e/ mtb is getting more than a bit worrying ..

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
Myself and my brother both got a pair of 100% Briskers but not the waterproof ones. Fit great, feel nice, haven’t tested them yet as just got them yesterday ?
CE789F8B-4CD5-4604-BBE3-32D09DCB9005.jpeg
9D5B9476-55D1-431B-A449-8AFF132B06AF.jpeg

(0) ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've had a pair of Brisker 100% gloves on order since Mid November last year ..initially to be sent out early December ..then updated to early January ..then late January which I was prepared to wait for ..until this morning when I got another update to say it would now be March ..
If it's any consolation, they're not actually very good as a winter glove.
They're just like a normal thin riding glove but with a sort of quilted layer on the back.
They're not waterproof and the fingers are far from wind proof.
I use a thinner pair of actual windproof gloves on cold commutes as with the Briskers the ends of my fingers get so cold they ache.
I don't generally wear gloves at all for mtb other than maybe for Ebike climbs where you don't warm up.. normal bike climbs my hands stay warm enough from the effort, and most descending tends to be under tree cover on technical enough trails that my hands working to control the bike is enough to stop me feeling the cold.

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
If it's any consolation, they're not actually very good as a winter glove.
They're just like a normal thin riding glove but with a sort of quilted layer on the back.
They're not waterproof and the fingers are far from wind proof.
I use a thinner pair of actual windproof gloves on cold commutes as with the Briskers the ends of my fingers get so cold they ache.
I agree, I got a pair recently, and while warm at the start of the ride, my fingers are freezing at the end.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I just got a pair of these. They're a bit tighter than most gloves, but will stretch a little. Tested the other day at 3 degrees, and my hands were warm.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I've got these. Very waterproof, I run them under the tap to clean them and they stay dry just fine. Quite hot though, temp needs to be below 2-3 celcius otherwise you get hot!

They do remove a bit of the feel from the bars, but when its cold/wet more important to say dry / warm I'd say.

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
I use these

with summer gloves underneath (I’ve got winter sealskinz etc but I findthem bulky etc)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have an older version of these which I rate - they aren't the warmest, but once you are warmed up they are fine - I have some of the waterproof Briskers and for me they just get too hot unless its proper below zero riding - I also am not a fan of any type of bulky glove.

My parents gave me a set of Boardman winter gloves a few years back, which after telling them how pleased I was with them, where dumped in a draw and expected to never see them again - however recently I used them when out walking, and was very impressed with the fit, and how waterproof they are ( used them to haul my son out of a stream, and they kept the water out, and my hands warm). I decided to give them a go on the bike, and whilst still fairly bulky they where surprisingly good - again not the style of glove I like as on the bulkier side, but dont feel that bulky when wearing them, and definitely keep you dry and warm - so if you suffer from cold hands they are definitely worth checking out, especially at 30 quid

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles