Stearing range issue on the cube stereo. Hybrid 160

Philmcc

Nov 6, 2022
North east
I’ve just got a cube stereo hybrid 160 and I love it.
The steering is a bit odd though. The handlebars/fork will only go a short distance to the left then they stop for no apparent reason.
Turning to the right they will go all the way untill the forks bump the frame.

The guy in the shop where I bought it said that this was how it is supposed to be but it seems a bit odd.

Does anyone have this bike and have the same issue ( or not!) or does it sound like something wrong?

Thanks

The Dietster

Mar 12, 2020
NL
Oh i misunderstood. It should stop at around 70 degrees, both ways the same. So indeed something seems wrong with yours

RichardF

Apr 15, 2024
Australia
I’ve just got a cube stereo hybrid 160 and I love it.
The steering is a bit odd though. The handlebars/fork will only go a short distance to the left then they stop for no apparent reason.
Turning to the right they will go all the way untill the forks bump the frame.

The guy in the shop where I bought it said that this was how it is supposed to be but it seems a bit odd.

Does anyone have this bike and have the same issue ( or not!) or does it sound like something wrong?

Thanks
Hi Phil,
I was wondering if you got this sorted. I have just taken delivery of 2 new Cube Stereo 140's which have the same issue. The shop said it was OK. I'm certain it's not.

Prozor

Apr 12, 2024
Polska
A bit annoying (I know), but that's how they designed it.
Depending on the country of destination of the bike is different for countries with right-hand traffic, and different for the range with left-hand traffic. That is, on the continent (e.g., Germany, Poland, France...) the right turn of the shock fork has a smaller angle, and on the left side a larger angle, so that the left turn radius is smaller.
In the UK apparently it's done the other way around, so that the right turn radius is smaller.

Alternatively, it can be centered (see other forum threads).

Last edited:

MasterDabber

Aug 18, 2023
Surrey
Depending on the country of destination of the bike is different for countries with right-hand traffic, and different for the range with left-hand traffic. That is, on the continent (e.g., Germany, Poland, France...) the right turn of the shock fork has a smaller angle, and on the left side a larger angle, so that the left turn radius is smaller.
In the UK apparently it's done the other way around, so that the right turn radius is smaller.

I've just checked this on my Cube Stereo 160 and it's as you describe for the UK. Never knew that but I was aware of it after a small low speed tumble the other day and wondered if I'd moved something.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire

Sorry mate but that sounds like a load of bollocks to me. Why would an emtb, which is ambidextrous and mostly used off road, be adjusted for different countries? The knock block has just moved and not been checked before sale.

Prozor

Apr 12, 2024
Polska
Sorry mate but that sounds like a load of bollocks to me. Why would an emtb, which is ambidextrous and mostly used off road, be adjusted for different countries? The knock block has just moved and not been checked before sale.
Are you saying that Cube assembles all its bikes carelessly and incorrectly? And this only applies to the knock block, and surprisingly all other components are mounted well? Interesting...

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
Are you saying that Cube assembles all its bikes carelessly and incorrectly? And this only applies to the knock block, and surprisingly all other components are mounted well? Interesting...
I’m saying whoever told you that was just spinning you a tale because they didn’t have the correct answer. Think about it for a second, why would a bicycle need a tighter turning circle one way than the other? Even if you were commuting in traffic

The bottom cup even has a notch at 180° to the block so you can centralise it with forks fitted.

DieBoy

Jul 14, 2023
EU
The headset on my Cube (different model though) also has a blocklock, 120°, and it is, as TommyC rightly says, centred. It should be centred on your bike too.

It's there to prevent the fork hitting the frame or ripping cables out by turning the fork too much.

It can be changed - for my particular headset there's also a 150° version available for example. Won't be cheap, will void warranty, etcetera.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I recenter mine just aplying some force after a fall. Thought it was because of that. HOpe not broke anything,

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Have a look in my tread, the Knock Block is visible.
It was centered when I bought it, and centered after replacing the bearing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles