Mullet....on Cube Stereo Hybrid 160?

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I have the Cube stereo 160 with 27.5" wheels, and my wife has the 140 with 29" wheels.

I just measured tthe difference in height of the axels and the total height of the wheels. Roughly

WheelAxel heightTotal Height
27.5"36 cm71.5 - 72 cm
29"37 cm74cm

So this would raise your bottom bracket only about 5mm
I think you could easily compensate the rise by lowering the handlebars / moving your seat forwards.

The main problem would be that the 29" wheel probably wouldn't fit in your forks, or at least the clearance would be pretty tight.

27.5 in. wheels have faster acceleration while 29ers are more efficient on longer rides. Smaller wheels accelerate faster than larger wheels. ... Larger wheels place the weight of the spokes, rims, tubes and tires farther from the center of the wheel, resulting in higher rotational mass and slower acceleration.

BroadyGTE

Jun 24, 2018
yorekshire
Here goes , fox 38s and 29er up front , I will havereport once it all calmed down, but so far so good? 15011812-24D1-4378-8E79-787E22742F00.jpeg

27CF19F6-D490-428C-89E1-96B49535ED99.jpeg

gypsy

Nov 28, 2020
surbiton
@BroadyGTE sorry if a dumb question, I have the exact same bike, did you swap out the forks to the 29 specific Fox 38's or use the ones the bike came with. Thanks. Nice pic too!

stax

May 27, 2022
Germany
Had to buy the 29er/ 27.5+ Fox 38 . My bike is 2020 model so came with 36s ( which are for sale if anyone’s interested)
Nice! May I ask which fork-offset you mounted? Is it running good so far? I am about to buy that bike but I'm disappointed that Cube does not offer the mullet option, so I might buy an used bike and convert it right afterwards, not a new one otherwise I probably invalidate the warranty with this conversion...

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
I measured it on my 2022 model: 29" x 2.10 could pass, 2.25 just touches the fork.

Last edited:

KDillonK

Aug 7, 2022
Washington, USA
BroadyGTE, how did the mullet work out? I'm going to try mullet with my Cube Stereo 160 Race.

Fox 38 Grip2 + 2Degree Wolftooth GeoShift headset (to 63 degrees). Per my calcs, this will raise my headset up by about an inch, and lengthen the wheelbase by an inch. I plan to sag some of that height out. I'm lighter so maybe more sag and an added token will work well. The raise in the headset will reduce my stand-over/ride reach by maybe an inch (depending on the sag correction). I can drop my handlebars a little, but the 2 degree GeoShift headset requires that the upper headset cut be EC instead of ZS, so that raises the headset top by 0.5". Hope I don't need/wish I could drop my handlebars to the bottom. Don't think I will.

Love to hear how your mullet rides. I'm not selling my 27.5 fork and wheel yet! :)

KDillonK

Aug 7, 2022
Washington, USA
Well, I've been running my Cube Stereo in mullet mode with 63 degree head tube. Absolutely love it for flow. Putting up my best times. Tech is great as well. I wound up using a Works Components headset because it has an inserted top cup that gave me a half inch back on top height, which I really wanted so I could offset the raised height of going 29". Here's the headset: Works Components 2.0 Degree ZS56-ZS56 Angle Headset- To Suit Tapered Steerer Tube

Fmxr47

Feb 6, 2023
Ohio
Has anyone with a 2022 model found an angle headset that works with the integrated cable routing? Having no luck finding one that will work as the frame does not have external homes for the cables.

Last edited:

Fmxr47

Feb 6, 2023
Ohio
IMG_1928.jpg

I have just fitted a Fox 38 29er fork in 170mm travel and a bontrager line 30 alloy wheel and the head tube angle now is 64 degrees. So far from pedaling around I’m very happy with it but will be hanging onto the 27.5 setup for a bit to be sure.

Schlayer88

Sep 21, 2023
Maple Ridge
View attachment 107785
I have just fitted a Fox 38 29er fork in 170mm travel and a bontrager line 30 alloy wheel and the head tube angle now is 64 degrees. So far from pedaling around I’m very happy with it but will be hanging onto the 27.5 setup for a bit to be sure.
Curious how this is working out and how it feels?

You kept the fork as 170mm vs going to 160?

Considering doing this myself

64 degrees with the 170 and 29er wheel?

Fmxr47

Feb 6, 2023
Ohio
Curious how this is working out and how it feels?

You kept the fork as 170mm vs going to 160?

Considering doing this myself

64 degrees with the 170 and 29er wheel?

It is honestly working great. I mostly take the bike to a local “DH” park but also ride all my local trails with some steep climbs just fine. I think going to a 160mm would make it climb a tad better but it really descends well and doesn’t feel any longer in the front end than my YT Capra 29 is. Correct the head angle is 64 with the 170mm fox 38 and a 29” wheel.

If you enjoy descending I really am happy with it, the original headset didn’t last long so I changed out the lower bearing as a bandaid incase I find an angle set with the internal cable routing. That would drop my front end a bit more but also make the bIke a tad longer.

Schlayer88

Sep 21, 2023
Maple Ridge
It is honestly working great. I mostly take the bike to a local “DH” park but also ride all my local trails with some steep climbs just fine. I think going to a 160mm would make it climb a tad better but it really descends well and doesn’t feel any longer in the front end than my YT Capra 29 is. Correct the head angle is 64 with the 170mm fox 38 and a 29” wheel.

If you enjoy descending I really am happy with it, the original headset didn’t last long so I changed out the lower bearing as a bandaid incase I find an angle set with the internal cable routing. That would drop my front end a bit more but also make the bIke a tad longer.
Thanks, yea I would like to figure a headset solution as well to the internal routing.

I may just go with the 170mm and 29 wheel and give it a go then!

Schlayer88

Sep 21, 2023
Maple Ridge

The headset that came stock on the cube

I just finished the mullet install, I had 1 ride, had issues with the headset and now I’ve noticed that I can turn past the knockblock limiter on both sides, the bars and fork turn together but it reaches minor resistance but then can be forced past that but changes where the steering stops on either end

Is this the issue you had as well?

Thanks

Fmxr47

Feb 6, 2023
Ohio
The headset that came stock on the cube

I just finished the mullet install, I had 1 ride, had issues with the headset and now I’ve noticed that I can turn past the knockblock limiter on both sides, the bars and fork turn together but it reaches minor resistance but then can be forced past that but changes where the steering stops on either end

Is this the issue you had as well?

Thanks

I just noticed that the stop block inside was not a very snug fit and could easily be turned once you’re up against it. I have since replaced my lower headset bearing and crown race eliminating the knock block my lower headset bearing had come apart internally because they’re cheap junk bearings. I’m sure the added stress of this setup may have added to it but acros headsets are notoriously cheap quality. Any ZS56 lower bearing will work

Schlayer88

Sep 21, 2023
Maple Ridge
I just noticed that the stop block inside was not a very snug fit and could easily be turned once you’re up against it. I have since replaced my lower headset bearing and crown race eliminating the knock block my lower headset bearing had come apart internally because they’re cheap junk bearings. I’m sure the added stress of this setup may have added to it but acros headsets are notoriously cheap quality. Any ZS56 lower bearing will work
Okay, weird I never really noticed the stop block being able to be moved untill I changed the fork, maybe the bearings got damaged while I was trying to Eliminate the movement in the stop block, I’ll go the same route rather just not have it than have it accidentally move on a hard brake in a turn and then come up short on steering for the next corner..

What a disaster to replace the headset with all of this internal routing though so I’ll check the bottom bearing, maybe just replace it anyways and then just remove the block and put on a crown race

Thanks for your help

Fmxr47

Feb 6, 2023
Ohio
Okay, weird I never really noticed the stop block being able to be moved untill I changed the fork, maybe the bearings got damaged while I was trying to Eliminate the movement in the stop block, I’ll go the same route rather just not have it than have it accidentally move on a hard brake in a turn and then come up short on steering for the next corner..

What a disaster to replace the headset with all of this internal routing though so I’ll check the bottom bearing, maybe just replace it anyways and then just remove the block and put on a crown race

Thanks for your help

I really despise the internal routing

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Im pretty sure mullets came about by someone slapping on a smaller rear, or larger front.

Certainly what is clear is they didnt give an 4r5e about the geometry or readjust the frame or anything like that. Nor I expect did they sit gnawing at their fingers and brood over what they'd done, they just got out and got on with it.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Well, I've been running my Cube Stereo in mullet mode with 63 degree head tube. Absolutely love it for flow. Putting up my best times. Tech is great as well. I wound up using a Works Components headset because it has an inserted top cup that gave me a half inch back on top height, which I really wanted so I could offset the raised height of going 29". Here's the headset: Works Components 2.0 Degree ZS56-ZS56 Angle Headset- To Suit Tapered Steerer Tube
I know it's along time ago this thread But I've been giving info to Superstar components in regards to a angled headset and they didn't seem to realise that that Cube use a 56 cup top and bottom
So checked posts on here took some time but come up Trumps with you in this thread
Cheers buddies this has help me out

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles