Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Nice shot/video of the "overload clutch" for side impacts :

Link to 49 seconds in

Screenshot 2021-03-26 09.14.15.png

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
My desktop has been all wireless for years. It's great to see this stuff, I wonder when Shimano will join the game (Hopefully retro fit to ep8's ? ).

Personally I would love to see; integration with the bikes main battery to save on weight/cost

Even better if it was coupled Wireless power transfer (WPT), as seen with phones/toothbrushes, removing the need to hardwire parts. Making it truly quick swap.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
My gripe is this. I can have a wireless shifter and seat post now but no motor manufacturer has applied the same tech to a handlebar controller. That's the cable I really want to get rid of.

Gordon

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My gripe is this. I can have a wireless shifter and seat post now but no motor manufacturer has applied the same tech to a handlebar controller. That's the cable I really want to get rid of.

Gordon
Stop griping and just ride your bike Gordon ;)

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I have one coming on Tuesday to fit to my Levo
Really like the feel of the GX range and to have it electronic for £550 I recon is a pretty good price

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Trails are all closed due to storms and floods here and tomorrow I head in for sinus surgery. 6 weeks off the bike. Plenty of time to go on about my first world problems...... :)

Gordon
Yeah. We're not permitted to ride outwith our local counties ATM. out of the three counties I live and work in there are plenty trails but very little off road elevation. I've fucked my back manualling with a leg strain causing damage to my lower discs so have too much time on my hands to poke fun at others first world problems ;)

I genuinely think ASX and Di2 removing "feel" and natural precision/control (eg. overshifting if ever required on a downshift) from shifts is a downgrade for an mtb. and even more so for an Emtb. With the one exception being Di2 managing your gear ratios if you're a dual chainring XC racer. (it's great on roadbikes because of that feature.)

and yes. I've used both

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I'm on the fence, I was waiting for the GX version to come out and 600USD is still a lot of money, but so was my 6500$ SL comp + 1900 in suspension and brake upgrades as well as bar, stem and peds. The kit comes to 7% of the build so far.

Which, unfortunately doesn't sound too bad to me.

And I really regret adding all that up.
You only live once and if our current Administration keeps at, a nuke might not be too far off, so buy today!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yeah. We're not permitted to ride outwith our local counties ATM. out of the three counties I live and work in there are plenty trails but very little off road elevation. I've fucked my back manualling with a leg strain causing damage to my lower discs so have too much time on my hands to poke fun at others first world problems ;)

I genuinely think ASX and Di2 removing "feel" and natural precision/control (eg. overshifting if ever required on a downshift) from shifts is a downgrade for an mtb. and even more so for an Emtb. With the one exception being Di2 managing your gear ratios if you're a dual chainring XC racer. (it's great on roadbikes because of that feature.)

and yes. I've used both
Oh god, not another forum cripple ..

How about if AXS/Di2 was also linked in with the torque sensor .. rather than the di2 pulse power .. so you select to change gear, but it doesn't change until it detects x torque so you don't knob up your chain/cassette ? It would require the "Open Torque Standard" or something to be created which would never happen .. but well .. you know .. AXS MUPPET option. .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Oh god, not another forum cripple ..

How about if AXS/Di2 was also linked in with the torque sensor .. rather than the di2 pulse power .. so you select to change gear, but it doesn't change until it detects x torque so you don't knob up your chain/cassette ? It would require the "Open Torque Standard" or something to be created which would never happen .. but well .. you know .. AXS MUPPET option. .
Even after 14 pints and multiple bong hits I'm not that disabled that I'd need a computer to help me decide when and how to change gear

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
You only live once and if our current Administration keeps at, a nuke might not be too far off, so buy today!
I in no way agree, but politics should be left for another forum.

Last January my heart stopped, and was shocked back then rudely shocked over and over again - and have used the only live once excuse too many times already, but am likely to use it again at some point I'm sure.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I in no way agree, but politics should be left for another forum.

Last January my heart stopped, and was shocked back then rudely shocked over and over again - and have used the only live once excuse too many times already, but am likely to use it again at some point I'm sure.
Welcome back x 5. Glad that you can still enjoy life! Buy it!

I currently have XX1 AXS on my Ripley and I feel lost at first when using mechanical on other demo bikes I’ve ridden. The 1mm press compared to the long 1 1/2” lever press sells it for me.

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast

and yes. I've used both

Amazing how differnt poeple are, why do you want to 'feel' a gearchange on an mtb? I just want it to change gear. Just like my car with a dual clutch transmission, I don't want it to be slow, inefficient and feel the change, I want it change gear fast, precise and repeatedly.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
, I want it change gear fast, precise and repeatedly.
A computer and a servo can't actually do that on a derailleur gearing system used while covered in mud and debris in all sorts of situations and gear combinations while its chain being driven by both human power and a motor assistance as well as a mechanical shifter and mech operated by human motor and brain function can.

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
That derailleur and battery is quite a chunk of unsprung weight (~465g) hanging off the back wheel compared to something like a shimano xt 12 speed (~260g). BUt then I suppose the enormous wide range cassettes are not light weight either.

Would love to get one, but think I will hold off a little while longer for that satisfying buzz when changing gears.

I think they got the pricing right though, they'll sell a lot I think.

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
A computer and a servo can't actually do that on a derailleur gearing system used while covered in mud and debris in all sorts of situations and gear combinations while its chain being driven by both human power and a motor assistance as well as a mechanical shifter and mech operated by human motor and brain function can.
is that actually the case - do they not work too well in typical british conditions? - genuine question , as I have never used one. All the reviews say they give perfect shifts every time regardless of everything, dont think I've read a single review (of any electronic derailluer - shimano or sram) that has said the shifts are ever less than perfect.

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve had the XX1 AXS kit for over a year now, and have found it amazing. Once indexed properly, I haven’t had to touch it at all. Super smooth shifts, and tap to shift.

The downside is that 2 weeks ago my handlebar controller died, and that I can’t really use the bike without it. It’s been away for a warranty claim - SRAM said they’ll replaced it - however they have no stock, and I’m going to have to wait until nearer the end of April for a replacement.

The controllers are out of stock everywhere just now, but retail at £200 in the UK. I’ve ordered one from Germany, who said they had stock for £165... but so far my ‘4 day delivery’ to the UK hasn’t changed status from ‘ordered’!

Looks like an electronic failure is going to put my bike out of action for 4-6 weeks. Not very convenient. Wouldn’t have that issue with a cable!!
At the same time, my AXS dropper has been away for warranty repair for about 4 weeks now and is also getting replaced. Same story - out of stock, and due next week. This ones not an electronic fault - so can’t blame AXS for this!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I’ve had the XX1 AXS kit for over a year now, and have found it amazing. Once indexed properly, I haven’t had to touch it at all. Super smooth shifts, and tap to shift.

The downside is that 2 weeks ago my handlebar controller died, and that I can’t really use the bike without it. It’s been away for a warranty claim - SRAM said they’ll replaced it - however they have no stock, and I’m going to have to wait until nearer the end of April for a replacement.

The controllers are out of stock everywhere just now, but retail at £200 in the UK. I’ve ordered one from Germany, who said they had stock for £165... but so far my ‘4 day delivery’ to the UK hasn’t changed status from ‘ordered’!

Looks like an electronic failure is going to put my bike out of action for 4-6 weeks. Not very convenient. Wouldn’t have that issue with a cable!!
At the same time, my AXS dropper has been away for warranty repair for about 4 weeks now and is also getting replaced. Same story - out of stock, and due next week. This ones not an electronic fault - so can’t blame AXS for this!
Could you buy a really cheap mechanical derailluer and shifter just to keep you rolling? I guess I'd always have some old mech and shifter in the parts box for this kind of eventuality.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Could you buy a really cheap mechanical derailluer and shifter just to keep you rolling? I guess I'd always have some old mech and shifter in the parts box for this kind of eventuality.

I’ll just ride my Stumpy for a few weeks. I could borrow the wired X01 Eagle shifter / mech off this... but it’s too much hassle.

In reality, I should have kept the GX wired shifter / derailleur that came with the bike... rather than selling off all my spares!

Looks from the price list on P1 of this thread, that a GX AXS controller is much cheaper than an XX1. I’d have thought they’d have been identical!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles