SRAM release cheaper GX level wireless AXS

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
is that actually the case - do they not work too well in typical british conditions? - genuine question , as I have never used one. All the reviews say they give perfect shifts every time regardless of everything, dont think I've read a single review (of any electronic derailluer - shimano or sram) that has said the shifts are ever less than perfect.
Using common sense what do you think? ?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Using common sense what do you think? ?
I'd have expected the reviewers (at least the UK based ones anyway) to mention the fact that they don't shift well when covered in mud and grit if that were the case.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
just how many muddy miles do you think these "reviewers" you are so trusting of genuinely put in on a product before rushing off to type up a review before the product is old news?
Many don't even bother to ride or use the products they review.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
just how many muddy miles do you think these "reviewers" you are so trusting of genuinely put in on a product before rushing off to type up a review before the product is old news?
Many don't even bother to ride or use the products they review.
Yeah I get that about 'professional' reviewers, but when I talk about reviewers I also include people (ie not pro reviewers) that bought them and are using them in the real world, I don't think I've seen a single comment on a forum saying that my axs derailuer is crap when it gets muddy, all I seem to read about is perfect shifting every time.

If I bought one and the shifting was a bit poor in the mud I'd be all over the forums moaning about it, especially as everyone else raves about how good they are.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that you're the only person I've heard say that the shifting might be anything other than perfect all the time.

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
How many miles reviewing the AXS system does Gary have seems likes a relevant question right now? Besides, I live in Australia so aside from gargantuan floods (lol) mud isn't an issue for me...not that I think it will be for anyone else though. Just Gary.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Having ridden the X01 AXS for about a year I cant say I had any problems with mud / clogging at all. Although I didnt ride it in anything ridiculously muddy, just my usual stuff...

(bought with my own money by the way)

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Having ridden the X01 AXS for about a year I cant say I had any problems with mud / clogging at all. Although I didnt ride it in anything ridiculously muddy, just my usual stuff...

(bought with my own money by the way)

Same here... had mine (XX1) over a year now, and never noticed it clogging. Have been riding some fairly muddy stuff over the last few months too.

jadias89

Feb 24, 2021
Denbigh
Just got my kit installed in place of the XT shifter and mech on my Evil. Installation was super easy and (it was fluke but) I didn’t even need to adjust the limit screws!

Will be flipping this on to my Rise when it turns up in July, but will get plenty of miles on it before then.

C0F76EED-39B6-4966-8CB7-B9756F303424.jpeg

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I put one of these kits on my Levo last night super easy to install took about 10 mins adjusted the b gap and that was it shifter perfect in every gear I didn’t have to touch the limit screws either very surprising

Are you running a Shimano cassette or sram

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Just got my kit installed in place of the XT shifter and mech on my Evil. Installation was super easy and (it was fluke but) I didn’t even need to adjust the limit screws!

Will be flipping this on to my Rise when it turns up in July, but will get plenty of miles on it before then.

View attachment 57257
Does that mean it works on a Shimano Cassette or did you swap that out too?

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
I went ahead and ordered, and should have it next week. They look to be selling quickly as a few online shops I was looking at said first of April, then middle of may now one says aug. I ordered somewhat locally and They’ve not sold out of their first shipment yet.

I feel lucky.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I put one of these kits on my Levo last night super easy to install took about 10 mins adjusted the b gap and that was it shifter perfect in every gear I didn’t have to touch the limit screws either very surprising

Are you running a Shimano cassette or sram
From his photo its clearly seen that he uses Shimano XT cassette (2 large cogs are ALU black, others are steel silver) ...

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Got my axs gx eagle dearilluer fiited earlier, havent been for a ride yet, but it shifts very cleanly in the stand.

Had an initial problem with it not shifting cleanly, and after lots head scratching and adjusting the derailleur to no success , I realised that my mech hanger was slightly bent out of true. So I put my spare hanger on and everything magicly started working correctly.

I'm using it with a shimano xt 12 speed cassette and chain. It seems to work well.

One thing I hadnt realised was that you can pair it with a garmin watch or bike computer, and it can show you the battery level of the derailleur along with what gear you're in, what ratio etc etc. I wont bother with knowing what gear I'm in, but having the battery level on the garmin is useful. 1617362649805.png

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
The method to fine tune the DR using the microswitch and paddle on the controller is very neat and simple.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
At this price point I'm super tempted to pull the trigger and see how it compares to other electronic systems I've tried.

For what it's worth, I've been using this system for several years and liked it enough to completely drop mechanical shifting : Cell Cycling – Ride Connected (cell-cycling.com) . I assume they ship to the UK/EU but can't say for sure.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so if you want to discuss further, feel free to DM me or we can start a different thread.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Levo Gen2, size L, chainring 32T, cassette 11-50T, derailleur Sram GX AXS, anyone already have info for this setup how many chain links is correctly sized chain? Thanks!

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Isn't this a reincarnation of the vapourware X-Shifter that was a Kickstarter project that left lots of people out of pocket?
Yes, exactly. I was one of the original backers in 2016. Definitely went through hell with the whole Kickstarter business and lost some money and goodwill with them. That said, the current product is IMHO far better than XTR and Eagle mechanical systems, and good enough that I was happy to stick with it instead of spending a ridiculous amount of money to experiment with X01/XX1 AXS. GX AXS does have me curious to compare though.

Anyhow, if you want to discuss the whole good/bad/ugly I'm happy to go into details via DM or another thread.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles