• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered SRAM NX 12 Speed Cassette - not tight.

raymondkerr

Apr 15, 2019
East Kilbride, Glasgow Scotland
Replacing out my PG 1230 NX Eagle cassette for the new one of the exact same part. When I fit it to my Hope Pro4 Freehub, there is play in the gears. The lockring is fully tight, I have tried two different NX Cassettes (both new) and they both have the same problem. There are no spacers etc under the cassette. When I mearsured the height of both cassettes on a flat surface, theres a difference of about 0.5mm from old to new, I feel this is why the new cassette is not tightening up onto the freehub.

Has anyone came across this problem before ?

The hub and freewheel are only a couple of months old and show very little wear. In the meantime I've had to fit the old worn cassette back on just so I can use the bike, the new cassette won't tighten all the way.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
My 12 speed nx cassette has always had a little play from new, so has my derailleur. Everything is tight. Some people say there should be no play in either. My bike changers gear faultlessly providing everything else is set up, I've always thought a slight bit of play may be engineered in to allow flex upon shifting and therefore allowing for smooth gear changes during when the rear of the bike is under stress?

raymondkerr

Apr 15, 2019
My 12 speed nx cassette has always had a little play from new, so has my derailleur. Everything is tight. Some people say there should be no play in either. My bike changers gear faultlessly providing everything else is set up, I've always thought a slight bit of play may be engineered in to allow flex upon shifting and therefore allowing for smooth gear changes during when the rear of the bike is under stress?

thanks for that, but the movement in this cassette isn't right and I wouldn't ride with it. The old cassette still works for the time being, just bummed that after spending in excess of £120 I can't yet fit my new cassette and chain. I will need to try and source a shim to put behind the cassette - but just don't under why I need to do this on the new cassette when the old one requires no spacer or shim.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There should be no play in the cassette gears. If they are free to move, the shifting will vary across the range. The gaps between gears on a 12-speed are small enough as it without the ability to move by 0.5mm.

Either send the cassette back or fit a spacer to ensure the block is tight. Then re-index the shifter and one of the limit screws, depending upon where you put the spacer.

raymondkerr

Apr 15, 2019
There should be no play in the cassette gears. If they are free to move, the shifting will vary across the range. The gaps between gears on a 12-speed are small enough as it without the ability to move by 0.5mm.

Either send the cassette back or fit a spacer to ensure the block is tight. Then re-index the shifter and one of the limit screws, depending upon where you put the spacer.
yeah, I returned the first cassette and got a replacement as I thought it may have been from a faulty batch, however the replacement is exactly the same. I guess I will need to put a spacer on the freehub body before the cassette. I'll just need to find a suitable spacer/shim, I think I only have about 0.5 to 0.75mm to play with so the shim will need to be fairly thin. I just don't understand why I don't require one on the old cassette.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Weird. My NX casette requires a spacer. Exactly the same one that the XT 11 speed used that I replaced, (went Shimano XT to Shram AXS). Are you sure there's not a spacer stuck to the back of the old casette?

Gordon

H1 Dave

Dec 30, 2019
Earby, Lancashire
I am also puzzled very puzzled. My Focus had a novatec freehub with NX 11sp cassette fitted. Hub died on me so had it replaced under warranty in the meantime bought a Hope Pro4 wheel and fitted that. Also killed that one too! So got that fixed. During this period i replaced the NX cassette with a new one. I am positive neither wheel had the 1.85mm spacer fitted behind the cassette. Weirdly i did about 1500miles then a rattle appeared which turned out to be play in the cassette. Checked cassette locking nut and it was tight so figured maybe the crap plastic spacers between the gears had got worn by grit between the spacers and gear cogs maybe once a little bit of play had developed? Spoke to my LBS and they said it should have the spacer fitted from new it never did and no its not on the garage floor etc! Well odd this. Bought a new NX cassette and that's got play too so its not the spacers. Tried both old & new cassette on original novatec hub too and that had play as well??Cant see it really but possibly the spec has been changed slightly?? In the end i now run with the 1.85mm spacer fitted and re-indexed the gears although it can be slightly hesitant to go into top gear as that's now at the end of the derailleurs reach. Your LBS should have loads of the spacers kicking about.
God that was a ramble!
Regards
Dave

raymondkerr

Apr 15, 2019
I emailed hope and they said that all their pro4 hubs should have came with a 1.85mm spacer and that all cassettes would need this spacer with the exception of a shimano road cassette. So despite never running a spacer with the old NX cassette and never having A problem I have decided to order up the hope spacer and try it with the new cassette and see how I get on. All very confusing, conflicting info out their about when to you spacers etc. Fingers crossed I get a solution. Thanks everyone for your input??

Sharpy200

Nov 12, 2020
Lake District, Cumbria
I emailed hope and they said that all their pro4 hubs should have came with a 1.85mm spacer and that all cassettes would need this spacer with the exception of a shimano road cassette. So despite never running a spacer with the old NX cassette and never having A problem I have decided to order up the hope spacer and try it with the new cassette and see how I get on. All very confusing, conflicting info out their about when to you spacers etc. Fingers crossed I get a solution. Thanks everyone for your input??

I recently purchased a set of hope wheels with pro 4 hub and it came with a spacer. The spacer said only to be fitted with 11speed so i never fitted it and noticed straight away my Sram 12 speed was not fully tight. I contacted the bike shop and they confirmed the spacer was need and the info on the bag was wrong. I fitted the spacer and have done about 300 miles and all works perfectly.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles