• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Shimano 12 Speed Hyperglide+ with SRAM 12 speed chainring compatibility

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi,

Anyone have any experience with a Shimano 12 speed Hyperglide+ and a SRAM 12 speed chainring? (Bosch Gen 4 for info)

From reading elsewhere ome folks seem to have installed it no issues, others say you must use a Shimano 12 speed chainring. @Gary any insight at all?

rsmagee

Jul 11, 2020
West Midlands
I have done this on another bike and just ordered all the bits to convert my SL to XT including cassette and wheel.

The SRAM chainring will work, but you need to use a SRAM quick link. If you use the shimano quick link it gets stuck to the chainring. Hyper glide+ works fine with the Eagle quick link

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I have done this on another bike and just ordered all the bits to convert my SL to XT including cassette and wheel.

The SRAM chainring will work, but you need to use a SRAM quick link. If you use the shimano quick link it gets stuck to the chainring. Hyper glide+ works fine with the Eagle quick link
Thanks - so basically just add a SRAM quick link to the Shimano HG+ chain will work?

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
It’s night and day improvement over Eagle for me. Hyperglide+ is so good. I'd really recommend you try it. Only issue at the moment is sourcing all the parts!
Can’t wait to get mine XT drivetrain fitted.
Yeah I also heard that, but mostly from Shimano "sponsored" videos, I'm looking for more undependable experiences videos/reviews. For now they say it shifts even better/quietly under higher loads, not that I would like to shift this way, but it is certainly good to have such feature which hopefully extends lifespan of the drivetrain (considering 1x12 is a bit weaker design than 1x11). But biggest advantage for me would be 51t cog, as now with stock NX cassette on Levo I have only 42T and it is pain climbing longer & steeper climbs even in turbo mode. Also I think Microspline driver is way better than XD although I will have to change the hub (most likely whole rear wheel) to be able to install to this 10-51T cassette. Another issue is that I can't mount Shimano I-spec EV shifter to MMX clamp (would like to keep SRAM Code RSC brakes), afaik the adapter does not exists (jet). Will see in next months ...

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
I'm planning on taking off the NX from my 2021 rail 9.7 and switching to SLX/XT similar to the rail 7. As mentioned above, i believe it should work fine with the SRAM chainring.
I did inquire with Trek on their online chat and they of course said it won't work.
Trek did say that the e13 crankarms and chainring could be swapped in and it would work. I'm not 100% if these are a direct swap.

I plan to upgrade the Line comp 30 hub to 108 poe and swap the freehub to microspline with these Trek/Bontrager parts:
-600718 (microspine)
-W586894 (microspline end cap)
-552414 (pawls)
-552415 (springs)

Be advised that you should only get the SLX shifter, as the XT and XTR shifters have double upshift feature which with the power emtb's have would destroy the chain/cassette pretty quickly imo. thus the reason the rail 7 only has SLX shifter.

rsmagee

Jul 11, 2020
West Midlands
I’m going with all XT apart from the cassette. Only a Levo SL so less worry about the double shift, but as weight isn’t a major concern I wanted the all steel cassette which should last longer.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
on my sl that doesn't generate tons of torque the xt shifter is really quick but you have to be smooth, shift before a hill to keep rpm up and not bog down. What's nice about the xt mech is that you can adjust clutch tension so it's less klunky

rsmagee

Jul 11, 2020
West Midlands
First ride tomorrow with this setup. Looks good though!
22858F3B-99DE-4AED-A080-938D005C2E61.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Gary any insight at all?
If using a sram 12 speed eagle cassette use a 12 speed eagle chain
If using a Shimano 12 speed cassette use a shimano 12 speed chain
simply as those combos will give the best CASSETTE shifting performance.
but... other than that... Feel free to mix and match shifter/mech.
ie. 12 speed SRAM mech and shifter with Shimano cassette/chain or 12 speed shimano mech and shifter with 12 speed Eagle cassette and chain
And you should be able to use ANY 10/11 or 12 speed Shimano, SRAM or aftermarket chainrings with any of the above set-ups

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you use the shimano quick link it gets stuck to the chainring.
Hmm... Interesting.
I haven't fitted a Shimano 12 speed chain to a SRAM chainring, but the shimano 12 speed quick link hasn't presented any issues with other aftermarket chainrings I've seen

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
If using A sram 12 speed eagle cassette use a 12 speed eagle chain
If using a Shimano 12 speed cassette use a shimano 12 speed chain
simply as those combos will give the best CASSETTE shifting performance.
but... other than that... Feel free to mix and match shifter/mech.
ie. 12 speed SRAM mech and shifter with Shimano cassette/chain or 12 speed shimano mech and shoifter with 12 speed Eagle cassette and chain
And you should be able to use ANY 10/11 or 12 speed Shimano, SRAM or aftermarket chainrings with any of the above set-ups
Perfect thanks mate.

rsmagee

Jul 11, 2020
West Midlands
Hmm... Interesting.
I haven't fitted a Shimano 12 speed chain to a SRAM chainring, but the shimano 12 speed quick link hasn't presented any issues with other aftermarket chainrings I've seen
Iv found that the best performance with a Shimano cassette and SRAM chainring comes from a Shimano chain and eagle quicklink. But il try both and report back.

rsmagee

Jul 11, 2020
West Midlands
Did a ride today. Follow the Dog amd The Monkey at Cannock.
Shimano drivetrain is night and day improvement over NX eagle. Better engagement on the Nukeproof wheel probably helped too. The Shimano quick link works fine. It sticks to the chainring a tiny bit when new but it’s stopped already.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
My Shimano 12 speed knowledge comes from my 2020 pivot 429 trail not from my eBike which has sram ex1.
Shimano 12 speed chains NEED Shimano 12 speed specific front chainrings. Using a sram 12 speed chainring ( up front I mean) will bind up the chain because the inner width of Shimano 12 speed chains is significantly less than sram 12 speed and Shimano redesigned the shape of each tooth. You might not hear the drag over the sounds from the engine but it was clear on an analogue bike.

This is why raceface cinch chainrings comparable with Shimano 12 speed are listed separately as is the new wolftooth series.

I wanted a 28 tooth front chainring for my pivot 429 and first ordered a sweet red anodized raceface 28 tooth cinch ring and immediately figured all the above out.

If you start mixing a matching as all the fearless posters above claim works, I forsee premature death of your drivetrain probably when you are in some kind of much itself binding up things.

Why spend thousands of dollars, pounds, eu s etc etc on a bike and do something like use a sram quicklink onna Shimano 12 speed chain.or mix other components. The reason shimano 12 speed setups Rock so hard is because shimano completely started from scratch on drive train redesign. I also have sram 12 speed on my ripmo AF...Shimano made a significantly better mousetrap...don't negate their efforts..

rsmagee

Jul 11, 2020
West Midlands
My Shimano 12 speed knowledge comes from my 2020 pivot 429 trail not from my eBike which has sram ex1.
Shimano 12 speed chains NEED Shimano 12 speed specific front chainrings. Using a sram 12 speed chainring ( up front I mean) will bind up the chain because the inner width of Shimano 12 speed chains is significantly less than sram 12 speed and Shimano redesigned the shape of each tooth. You might not hear the drag over the sounds from the engine but it was clear on an analogue bike.

This is why raceface cinch chainrings comparable with Shimano 12 speed are listed separately as is the new wolftooth series.

I wanted a 28 tooth front chainring for my pivot 429 and first ordered a sweet red anodized raceface 28 tooth cinch ring and immediately figured all the above out.

If you start mixing a matching as all the fearless posters above claim works, I forsee premature death of your drivetrain probably when you are in some kind of much itself binding up things.

Why spend thousands of dollars, pounds, eu s etc etc on a bike and do something like use a sram quicklink onna Shimano 12 speed chain.or mix other components. The reason shimano 12 speed setups Rock so hard is because shimano completely started from scratch on drive train redesign. I also have sram 12 speed on my ripmo AF...Shimano made a significantly better mousetrap...don't negate their efforts..

Its a fair point, but there simply isn’t any choice with the Levo SL. No one makes a Shimano 12 speed chainring.
I would buy one right now if it existed. Garbaruk seem to have one but they are calling it shimano 12/sram AXS flattop which is making me unsure. Everyone else says it’s shimano 12 speed only.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles