• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

11 Speed Derailleur on 12 Speed Cassette?

RichfromtheShire

Dec 9, 2022
Shropshire
On an EMBN walkaround of Jonny Walkers Trek Rail he said he was using an 11 Speed Derailleur on a 12 speed setup as it is smaller than the equivalent 12 speed so is less prone to rock strikes. I really am not a fan of any derailleur (especially longer ones with big jockey wheels) so I'm trying to find the 'smallest' one that will work on a 10-45 XT cassette. Should I stick with the 12 speed XT medium cage or is there an 11 speed that is smaller and will also work?

Last edited:

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Once you properly set up a 12-speed derailleur as an 11 speed (using 11 speed cassette & shifter) it should have very similar clearance to an 11-speed derailleur.

That's my experience anyways running a similar set up.

The problem with running a true 11 speed derailleur is that you might get some funky shifting at the big end.

GL

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles