SRAM Eagle T-Type Transmission Compatibility Thread

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A thread to share the results of what you've found does and doesn't work with the T-Type.

For example, @macbeth89 is trying the E13 34T chainring on an EXe and no doubt others are trying some existing setups with different T-Type pieces.

Officially, only the AXS controllers and Mech Batteries are backwards compatible (Plus the old ones work with the T-type if you don't like the feel of the new ones - not everyone does).

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Not much activity in this thread so far so :

General thread on the T-Type Transmission with various questions/answers

Levo Gen 2. Levo SL Gen1 Not compatible as not UDH - your bike needs to look like this :

1680767389562.png

Levo Gen 3. Seems to be some uncertainly at the moment with either using the 104bcd chainring (CR-TTYP-104-A1) or the Brose specific ring. Success has so far been reported with both but in one instance it was necessary to mill 2mm off the brose mount. ... and further explanation

Orbea Rise. No UDH.

Orbea Rise : E-Thirteen chainring seems compatible with the T-type chain/cassette.

Fuel EXe : Stock e13 32T seems to work.

1680777629301.png

Generally : If using an existing derailleur with the T-type cassette/chain, spacing the derailleur off the hanger by 2mm should compensate for the T-type 2mm cassette shift.

As some existing chainrings seem compatible, it may not be necessary in all instances to change to a t-type chainring.

Last edited:

jet

Apr 2, 2023
Berlin
Could i use SRAM Transmission
Not much activity in this thread so far so :

General thread on the T-Type Transmission with various questions/answers

Levo Gen 2. Not compatible as not UDH - your bike needs to look like this :

View attachment 110976

Levo Gen 3. Seems to be some uncertainly at the moment with either using the 104bcd chainring (CR-TTYP-104-A1) or the Brose specific ring. Success has so far been reported with both but in one instance it was necessary to mill 2mm off the brose mount. ... and further explanation

Orbea Rise. No UDH.

Orbea Rise : E-Thirteen chainring seems compatible with the T-type chain/cassette.

Fuel EXe : Stock e13 32T seems to work.

View attachment 110983

Generally : If using an existing derailleur with the T-type cassette/chain, spacing the derailleur off the hanger by 2mm should compensate for the T-type 2mm cassette shift.

As some existing chainrings seem compatible, it may not be necessary in all instances to change to a t-type chainring.

Thank you for this! Do I understand the following correct?
  • Levo Gen3 + SRAM Transmission without chainring => works ✅
  • Levo Gen3 + SRAM Transmission full kit => might not work ❓

FirstAscent

Subscriber
Apr 5, 2023
Portland
Could i use SRAM Transmission

Thank you for this! Do I understand the following correct?
  • Levo Gen3 + SRAM Transmission without chainring => works ✅
  • Levo Gen3 + SRAM Transmission full kit => might not work ❓
From what I’ve gathered so far (from the big Levo thread) is that the full kit does work, but depending on which kit the chain line might not be perfect. But still totally functional.

jet

Apr 2, 2023
Berlin
I spoke with the SRAM support, here is their answer! (thank you @ SRAM support for the fantastic answer)

[The] Transmission is compatible with Specialized Levo Gen 3, which does not include any of the Levo SL models as they do not have UDH-compatible frames and would, therefore, not be compatible with the hangerless interface design of the Transmission system.

[The Specialized Levo Gen 3] uses the Universal Derailleur Hanger frame standard and would be, therefore, compatible with the hangerless design of the Transmission system. We sell an Ebike-specific groupset kit for X0 and XX. Because you have an e-bike, you would want to purchase the e-bike-specific groupset kit. While we do make a Brose-specific e-bike kit, the Levo's motor and frame are offset, making the kit incompatible with the bike.

We recommend against using Eagle Transmission XS-1299 T-Type Cassettes or XX SL Chains on E-MTBs. These parts are designed for the lightest weight applications and may wear out prematurely on E-MTB applications.

[The Specialized Levo Gen 3] has a 104 BCD chainring spider on the motor, so you would want to purchase the kit that comes with the 104 BCD Transmission T-Type chainring. The kit does not come with new cranks. Because the spider and chainring mount directly to the motor, you would not need a new set of cranks and would just swap out the old chainring. I did some research on your bike, and it looks like your bike has a max chainring size of 34T. I have also included chainrings that would be compatible with your bike. The chainring that comes with the kit is a 36T chainring.

Below are both part numbers for the Transmission kits that would be compatible with your bike.

00.7918.280.002 - GS XX EAGLE EMTB TRANSM AXS 104BCD TTYPE 36T chainring
00.7918.281.002 - GS X0 EAGLE EMTB TRANSM AXS 104BCD TTYPE 36T chainring

Compatible chainrings:
11.6218.054.003 CHAIN RING T-TYPE 30T DIRECT MOUNT 3MM OFFSET EAGLE (INCLUDING 8 BOLTS) BLACK - X0 D1
11.6218.054.004 CHAIN RING T-TYPE 32T DIRECT MOUNT 3MM OFFSET EAGLE (INCLUDING 8 BOLTS) BLACK - X0 D1
11.6218.054.005 CHAIN RING T-TYPE 34T DIRECT MOUNT 3MM OFFSET EAGLE (INCLUDING 8 BOLTS) BLACK - X0 D1

11.6218.054.006 CHAIN RING T-TYPE 30T DIRECT MOUNT 3MM OFFSET EAGLE (INCLUDING 8 BOLTS) BLACK - XX D1
11.6218.054.007 CHAIN RING T-TYPE 32T DIRECT MOUNT 3MM OFFSET EAGLE (INCLUDING 8 BOLTS) BLACK - XX D1
11.6218.054.008 CHAIN RING T-TYPE 34T DIRECT MOUNT 3MM OFFSET EAGLE (INCLUDING 8 BOLTS) BLACK - XX D1

D

Deleted member 7401

I spoke with the SRAM support, here is their answer! (thank you @ SRAM support for the fantastic answer)

Should add…others have been fitting the 36T. Just remove the chain guide.

BuzzinHornets

Jul 10, 2022
CA
Great response BUT…now they say they don’t recommend using T-Type casettes on E-MTB??? WTF. Why do they advertise and market to E customers???

Add EMTB power. And then some.
The capability of Eagle Transmission truly comes into focus when experienced on an EMTB. We didn’t design it based on the output of current EMTB’s either. We thought way ahead. What if it had capability for not just 800-watt additional power, but 2,000W? Eagle Transmission lives for it.

That is only the “SL” cassette and chain, XX and XO are class 1 ebike approved.

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
A thread to share the results of what you've found does and doesn't work with the T-Type.

For example, @macbeth89 is trying the E13 34T chainring on an EXe and no doubt others are trying some existing setups with different T-Type pieces.

Officially, only the AXS controllers and Mech Batteries are backwards compatible (Plus the old ones work with the T-type if you don't like the feel of the new ones - not everyone does).
I can confirm that old controller are working on new TT, i'm using it, just like N1NO :)

jet

Apr 2, 2023
Berlin
SRAM came back to me with an update (what is amazing, fantastic support my SRAM)

Fsf60HmWU64nl4iwj_w8ByPFEVRqh7eF_xxO96LumqT8v0na8kDJn6npU2ZHsy8jhf0zcgYjxlAfCAyK0Gp3Wwq7dji1fEYuIIhQgx2QWM7MWCWc1l1CunaKtM_NWpps_m2r=s0-d-e1-ft
[...]
The chainrings I provided were for direct mount chainrings, which would not be 104 BCD compatible. Below is the correct chainring:

11.6218.057.000 CHAIN RING T-TYPE 34T 104 BCD STEEL BLACK

I did some searching for this chainring to check availability, and currently, it may be a little difficult to find as spare parts are still making their way to the market, but I did find a couple of bike shops that have them in stock to be ordered online. Here is a link to our dealer where you can check whether a shop is listed as one of our dealers.
[...]

MH80

Feb 20, 2021
Norway
Just wondering. I have a Cannondale Habit Neo. On SRAMS website the Cannondale Motera is listed, and both Habit Neo and Motera uses the same hanger. Does this mean that my bike is compatible with UDH?

D

Deleted member 7401

Just wondering. I have a Cannondale Habit Neo. On SRAMS website the Cannondale Motera is listed, and both Habit Neo and Motera uses the same hanger. Does this mean that my bike is compatible with UDH?

If it is it will literally say “UDH” on the hanger.

MH80

Feb 20, 2021
Norway
No, it still has the original hanger from, but I was wondering if it would be compatible since the Motera is compatible.

Mysta

Nov 25, 2022
SC
Has anyone actually been able to buy these? I've been trying to find one without the crank/chainring but they are non-existent.

TopUnit

Dec 4, 2022
Australia
I am running XO transmission on Trek Rail 5 with original e13 chainring which has a 52mm chainline, rather than the recommended 55mm
Neither the chain ring or the chainline are causing any problems as far as I can tell
Having said that I will order a SRAM T-Type chainring as soon as they are available to make sure it is running the best it can

I do have an installation problem in that I need to run a lot of micro adjust, I suspect this is due to the wheel hub rather than the transmission. I have a Hope Pro4 hub rather than the Trek original. I will report if I work out what is wrong.

Also I asked e13 if their chainrings are compatible with T-Type, they said they are still testing

FirstAscent

Subscriber
Apr 5, 2023
Portland
I am running XO transmission on Trek Rail 5 with original e13 chainring which has a 52mm chainline, rather than the recommended 55mm
Neither the chain ring or the chainline are causing any problems as far as I can tell
Having said that I will order a SRAM T-Type chainring as soon as they are available to make sure it is running the best it can

I do have an installation problem in that I need to run a lot of micro adjust, I suspect this is due to the wheel hub rather than the transmission. I have a Hope Pro4 hub rather than the Trek original. I will report if I work out what is wrong.

Also I asked e13 if their chainrings are compatible with T-Type, they said they are still testing
As long as the Hope hub is the correct size, it shouldn’t matter.

LowStandards

Sep 21, 2020
Uk
This seems an odd thread, as surely no single sane person is going to part with the cash they're asking

TopUnit

Dec 4, 2022
Australia
As long as the Hope hub is the correct size, it shouldn’t matter.
Hmm, if the Hope hub is correct then the SRAM derailleur is way out (about 1mm)
I don't think that is likely, I expect SRAM calibrate it in house to much less than that, each micro adjust is about 0.2mm so it should be accurate to that.
Fortunately the Hope hub measures wider than it should be (about 148.6mm) so the derailleur is probably close to nominal and most of the error is in the hub.
I am trying to work out why, it could be that I have the wrong end cap since I had to change the free hub from Shimano micro spline to SRAM XD which requires a new end cap and I couldn't find a definitive answer to which end cap was required, I am waiting for an answer from Hope.
In the meantime I can run it with the necessary micro adjust so all is good other than not knowing why it is out.
I need to know!!

Last edited:

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
This seems an odd thread, as surely no single sane person is going to part with the cash they're asking
To be fair this seems an odd post for a compatibility thread on an item ,
I can only suggest you take up your gripe with Sram on the price or buy something you can afford as the cost has no bearing on this thread at all
Have a good day (y)

speed300

Dec 2, 2022
Phoenix, AZ, USA
I bought an XO set on pinkbike even though I couldn't use the cranks or chainring.

I've got a fuel exe with i9 355's and Hydra hubs.

I'm using the original e13 32T chainring and aluminum cranks. It's working AWESOME. I will probably switch to the TQ direct-mount chainring when it is available but no reason to switch right now given the performance I'm seeing.
trek_transmission.jpg

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
Installed XO derailleur, XO cassette and XX chain on my Gen3 Turbo Levo Pro. Still running stock chainring due to lack of availability. Everything seems to work fine despite supposed incompatibility of chainring.

Madog

May 29, 2020
Kentucky
FWIW, Wolftooth drop stop B chainrings are specifically compatible as stated on their website. I have one and it works perfectly. I don't have a Sram t-type ring for comparison. I have tried other rings I have lying around and I will say they all seem to fit the chain okay but snug. the Wolf Tooth B seems less snug than others.

Martin DH

Apr 27, 2020
Berkeley, California
I am reading this on the Specialized official website:
"All Levo SL Gen 2 frames feature the SRAM UDH and are compatible with SRAM Eagle Transmission. For 2023, SRAM Eagle Transmission will be included on S-Works and Pro models."

So they are compatible with Gen 2 Levos? Is that right?

Mysta

Nov 25, 2022
SC
My Hope chainring is doing fine with it as well, the T type chain is for sure required though.

FirstAscent

Subscriber
Apr 5, 2023
Portland
I am reading this on the Specialized official website:
"All Levo SL Gen 2 frames feature the SRAM UDH and are compatible with SRAM Eagle Transmission. For 2023, SRAM Eagle Transmission will be included on S-Works and Pro models."

So they are compatible with Gen 2 Levos? Is that right?
Yeah really the only requirement is UDH which is basically the majority of any modern bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles