Levo Gen 3 Transmission T-Type chain ring, which one?

roccobarocco

Feb 26, 2020
Germany
I am still a bit puzzled, I can't find out which chainring will fit the Levo Gen3, the Brose Package includes a nice looking one, but states not suitable for Levo Gen 3. I am not too eager fitting the regular looking chainring with the existing spider. Furthermore, what's happening with the chain guard?

Cheers rocco

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I emailed Specialized rider care about it and they told me to use 104 BCD chainring with the existing spider and cranks.
That makes sense. That was my suspicion a couple of posts above the one linked above, to use : CR-TTYP-104-A1

@timo_ milled 2mm off the official 55mm chainline brose mount ring to get correct alignment on his levo.

roccobarocco

Feb 26, 2020
Germany
This makes sense, however, Rob seems to be happy with this setup. I will try it, don't have a milling machine at home 😅

Last edited:

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
I mount it yesterday, with 104BCD Chainring, because the Brose version is nearly impossible to find already

IMG_3994.JPG

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I mount it yesterday, with 104BCD Chainring, because the Brose version is nearly impossible to find already

View attachment 110548
Did you have a 34t fitted as standard?
If so, how did yo get it off? Mine won’t go over the spider, so waiting on deliver if lock ring tool so I can take the spider off.

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
Did you have a 34t fitted as standard?
If so, how did yo get it off? Mine won’t go over the spider, so waiting on deliver if lock ring tool so I can take the spider off.
Yes, mounted a 34T. For the spider you need an easy to find tool, something like this:

Attachments

• 2022 LEVO - SCHEMATICS - SMALL PARTS_01_04_2023 08_07_09_8168.pdf
    162.7 KB · Views: 250

roccobarocco

Feb 26, 2020
Germany
No worries, just use a router and if you check out the pictures it is quite simple. The chainring is fixed with 3 little screws into the baseplate so it can't move around.

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I'm not sure why people are modifying the DM t-type chainring. The Levo Gen 3 runs a 52mm chain line as standard, the spider not the chain ring achieves this offset. If you use the 104BCD t-type chainring with the standard spider you will have the same 52mm chain line.

The DM chainring in the Brose kit should give you the correct 55mm chain line. The incompatibility note that can be found on some websites around the Brose kit and Gen 3 levo refers to the cranks not the chainring. Levo cranks have a custom offset, so if you choose to use the SRAM cranks you will end up with a wider Q-Factor.

Either kit will work, the 104BCD kit will have a suboptimal 52mm chain line and the Brose kit will have a chainring with the correct 55m chain line but the cranks will have the wrong offset!

I've been using the DM T-type chain ring with the standard Praxis cranks without any issues...

roccobarocco

Feb 26, 2020
Germany
If there is any change in the Q-Factor it is not noticeable at all. I tried both options the stock and the praxis one, no Problem whatsoever. You don't have to change the DM Chainring, however it is running more smoothly with 2mm less. I have both options here the DM and BCD option. Everyone to its own preference.

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Agreed on the crank front, I also ran both the SRAM and Praxis cranks and they both felt similar. I decided to run the Praxis cranks as I can see the advantages or a narrower Q-Factor for both clearance and my knees!

The SRAM cranks don't have a specific offset for the Brose and Bosch kit, they are based on the BOSCH offset and fits most other motors that feature an ISIS interface.

Thumper33

Sep 29, 2022
Denver, CO
I'm reading through Sram transmission posts so I can figure out a few things before I upgrade. I see that the sram kit is meant to work with a 55mm chain line, and the levo is 52mm. I wanted to move my ring gear out anyway... I can't fit the 38t because it hits the swingarm. If I don't replace the crank, then just use the DM ring for the brose kit to get 55mm? 55mm is wider right?

I'll just be ordering the derailure, cassette, chain, and front ring. I already have the old AXS GX system, so I think that's all I need. I just need to know what ring to order.

edit: I fit the 36t, it was the 38 that didn't fit.

Last edited:

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I'm reading through Sram transmission posts so I can figure out a few things before I upgrade. I see that the sram kit is meant to work with a 55mm chain line, and the levo is 52mm. I wanted to move my ring gear out anyway... I can't fit the 38t because it hits the swingarm. If I don't replace the crank, then just use the DM ring for the brose kit to get 55mm? 55mm is wider right?

I'll just be ordering the derailure, cassette, chain, and front ring. I already have the old AXS GX system, so I think that's all I need. I just need to know what ring to order.

edit: I fit the 36t, it was the 38 that didn't fit.
The DM chainring gives a chainline of 57mm on the Levo due to the offset motor.

Yes, the chainring will sit 5mm further away from the frame.

Thumper33

Sep 29, 2022
Denver, CO
This is a total copy of my other post, but I feel like it's important to anchor it in this thread too since this is the point of this thread...

It took me a while to figure it out because the pro model doesn't list anything different, but when you go another model up it lists a new spider!

Screenshot_20230823_203715_Chrome.jpg

It says "sl" but it's listed on all the bikes with the transmission. I'm guessing they have a new part to align the chain line.

I'll see what I can find out but I'm hoping that's the case and I can just order the new spider.

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
This is a total copy of my other post, but I feel like it's important to anchor it in this thread too since this is the point of this thread...

It took me a while to figure it out because the pro model doesn't list anything different, but when you go another model up it lists a new spider!

Screenshot_20230823_203715_Chrome.jpg

It says "sl" but it's listed on all the bikes with the transmission. I'm guessing they have a new part to align the chain line.

I'll see what I can find out but I'm hoping that's the case and I can just order the new spider.
That looks like a mistake on the 'S-Works Turbo Levo - SRAM XX T-Type' spec and doesn't reflect what you see in the images of the bike. The SL 1.2 spider fits the Gen 2 Levo SL which has a totally different interface on the spindle.

I would be surprised if Specialized produce a new spider with the Gen 4 just around the corner. The reality is that a 52mm chainline works just fine with Transmission and is what both Specialized and SRAM recommend for this bike.

DelPrete

May 11, 2023
Brazil
I think that the biggest unfavorable points when using the BROSE direct chainring are having to adjust the chainguard to the limit or dont use anymore, and it seems that the exact measurement on the Levo chain offset (may be due to the position of the motor) is 53mm and not 52, with DM it exceeds 55, I believe something between 56 and 57, with that the micro-adjustment of the rear derailleur on my bike is in the limit of 14 clicks.
I think you can use a 1 or 2mm spacer behind the cassette, or really remove 1 or 2mm on the chainring spider....for now I'm doing the tests, with 56/57mm the gears changes are faster and precise, only on the cog 38 I'm having a little bit of noise, but overall very good result.

Levo XO (4).jpg

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I think that the biggest unfavorable points when using the BROSE direct chainring are having to adjust the chainguard to the limit or dont use anymore, and it seems that the exact measurement on the Levo chain offset (may be due to the position of the motor) is 53mm and not 52, with DM it exceeds 55, I believe something between 56 and 57, with that the micro-adjustment of the rear derailleur on my bike is in the limit of 14 clicks.
I think you can use a 1 or 2mm spacer behind the cassette, or really remove 1 or 2mm on the chainring spider....for now I'm doing the tests, with 56/57mm the gears changes are faster and precise, only on the cog 38 I'm having a little bit of noise, but overall very good result.

View attachment 123294
The DM chainring gives you a 57mm chainline due to the offset motor. The Transmission cranks are also not optimised for the Levo as the cranks required a custom offset (again due to the offset motor). If you choose to use the SRAM cranks you will end up with a wider Q-Factor.

I have used both the 104BCD chainring (52mm chainline) and the DM chainring (57mm chainline), both the shift quality and noise felt the same to me with micro-adjust set in the middle. Some people have reported poor shift quality and noise with the DM chainring and having to run micro-adjust at the extremes of the range.

DelPrete

May 11, 2023
Brazil
The DM chainring gives you a 57mm chainline due to the offset motor. The Transmission cranks are also not optimised for the Levo as the cranks required a custom offset (again due to the offset motor). If you choose to use the SRAM cranks you will end up with a wider Q-Factor.

I have used both the 104BCD chainring (52mm chainline) and the DM chainring (57mm chainline), both the shift quality and noise felt the same to me with micro-adjust set in the middle. Some people have reported poor shift quality and noise with the DM chainring and having to run micro-adjust at the extremes of the range.

The q factor doesn't bother me at all, I didn't notice any difference, but I wonder, since we have the same bike, why is mine on the micro-adjust end?
When I was using the original chainring it was already at 10 (0-14)....

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
The q factor doesn't bother me at all, I didn't notice any difference, but I wonder, since we have the same bike, why is mine on the micro-adjust end?
When I was using the original chainring it was already at 10 (0-14)....
Others have reported the same, I suspect it will come down to frame tolerances. The bike industry is not exactly known for its great quality control!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles