SRAM Eagle T-Type Transmission Compatibility Thread

Bigaaron

Jun 21, 2023
Pomona, CA
Has anyone tried the new XX t-type cassette, chain and chainring, with an AXS GX derailleur? Looks like the only major difference in the cassettes is a 2.5mm offset, which I can machine into a derailleur hanger. I would also get the new "magic" derailleur pulleys. My GX cassette is the worse for wear, so I will change that out soon anyway.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I am reading this on the Specialized official website:
"All Levo SL Gen 2 frames feature the SRAM UDH and are compatible with SRAM Eagle Transmission. For 2023, SRAM Eagle Transmission will be included on S-Works and Pro models."

So they are compatible with Gen 2 Levos? Is that right?

The Gen 2 Levo SL is compatible, but Gen 2 Levo isn’t, as far as I can work out from Specialized?

IMG_6197.jpeg

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
Has anyone tried the new XX t-type cassette, chain and chainring, with an AXS GX derailleur? Looks like the only major difference in the cassettes is a 2.5mm offset, which I can machine into a derailleur hanger. I would also get the new "magic" derailleur pulleys. My GX cassette is the worse for wear, so I will change that out soon anyway.
Haven’t tried but unless you’re wanting to attempt to try for aesthetic purposes, you’re not going to get any of the benefits of transmission.
Also, you’d be machining the hanger further outboard, meaning making it thinner/weaker so I wouldn’t recommend it.
The transmission derailleur is a pretty key component

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Think a few people have tried it and just space the derailleur out further with a 2mm washer.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
It will typically say "UDH" on the right side rear dropout, where the axle threads into.

Yep, I suppose I was just pointing out that Gen 2 Levo SLs are compatible, ie come with UDH, but ‘full fat’ Gen 2 Levos won’t be, as the frames don’t have UDH.

Bigaaron

Jun 21, 2023
Pomona, CA
Haven’t tried but unless you’re wanting to attempt to try for aesthetic purposes, you’re not going to get any of the benefits of transmission.
Also, you’d be machining the hanger further outboard, meaning making it thinner/weaker so I wouldn’t recommend it.
The transmission derailleur is a pretty key component
I think it should offer an improvement in shifting under load. They changed the cassette to narrow-wide on 11 of the 12 gears, along with a new chain design, and new front chainring. I know the transmission itself is a big part of the puzzle, but I am NOT buying another $9000 bike to put a $2000 derailleur setup on it. It kinda sucks that Specialized knew UDH was coming since 2019, but didn't put UDH on all their bikes in 2022.

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
I think it should offer an improvement in shifting under load. They changed the cassette to narrow-wide on 11 of the 12 gears, along with a new chain design, and new front chainring. I know the transmission itself is a big part of the puzzle, but I am NOT buying another $9000 bike to put a $2000 derailleur setup on it. It kinda sucks that Specialized knew UDH was coming since 2019, but didn't put UDH on all their bikes in 2022.
Eh yes and no. I mean I haven’t tried swapping parts but part of the shifting under load benefit comes from the derailleur delaying the shift to the right shift point. With any other derailleur once you try to shift it’s going to shift no matter where it’s at.

But I get what you’re saying, it’s not cheap! Just want to make sure you know the possible outcomes before you spend the money without potentially much benefit ya know

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
I'm thinking of buying the t type transmission for my 2023 gen3 levo pro, as my original transmission is worn.
I'm totally confused though as to whether it fits directly on or if you have to mess about modifying it to fit properly. I don't want to have to fit the full kit with the cranks if i can avoid it, as I have praxis carbon ones already on along with a hope 36t chainring.
Are you able to just get the xx kit without the cranks and will it work with the hope chainring or do I have to get the full kit? Also is it necessary to have to get the T type flat chain and cassette or is it compatible with the standard cassettes?

Last edited:

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
I'm thinking of buying the t type transmission for my 2023 gen3 levo pro, as my original transmission is worn.
I'm totally confused though as to whether it fits directly on or if you have to mess about modifying it to fit properly. I don't want to have to fit the full kit with the cranks if i can avoid it, as I have praxis carbon ones already on along with a hope 36t chainring.
Are you able to just get the xx kit without the cranks and will it work with the hope chainring or do I have to get the full kit? Also is it necessary to have to get the T type flat chain and cassette or is it compatible with the standard cassettes?
I’ve been looking at a T-type GX kit recently. It only fits directly to frames with UDH. You have to buy new cassette, chain and chainring. You can use your old cranks but you can’t buy a kit with only cranks missing. I’ve priced up buying it all separately, without cranks and with a different size chainring, and it is marginally cheaper. Only trouble is finding it all available individually.

TopUnit

Dec 4, 2022
Australia
You can check compatibility here
Gen3 Levo is listed so it is compatible.

Also
Says Hope have a new chainring that is compatible, I don't know if the one you have would be compatible

Last edited:

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
I’ve been looking at a T-type GX kit recently. It only fits directly to frames with UDH. You have to buy new cassette, chain and chainring. You can use your old cranks but you can’t buy a kit with only cranks missing. I’ve priced up buying it all separately, without cranks and with a different size chainring, and it is marginally cheaper. Only trouble is finding it all available individually.
It is available without cranks part number 00.7918.280.002

EuanS2

Subscriber
Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
Has anyone tried the T-Type mech with a Shimano 10 51 cassette and Shimano chain yet? I might give it a try next week as I have full T-Type on my Fuel EXE and a mix of AXS and Shimano on my Rail, Thinking I might just swap some parts over to check compatibility and at least the Shimano cassette and chain are designed to work well under load just like the new T-Type stuff

Jamescoughlan

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2020
Aberporth
I’d also like to know what other Bosch compatible chain rings there are?
34T because the 36T is terrifyingly close to the chainstays.

BuzzinHornets

Jul 10, 2022
CA
I’d also like to know what other Bosch compatible chain rings there are?
34T because the 36T is terrifyingly close to the chainstays.
This info is readily available on the SRAM website. Also, the 36 tooth fits with great clearance on the rail due the 55mm chain line.

1692383230603.png

36tooth on Rail
1692383443259.png

EuanS2

Subscriber
Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
For anyone that’s interested, I finally got round to testing the GX T-Type mech with a Shimano 10/51 cassette and a Shimano 12 speed chain and T-Type Bosch 36 toothed chainring on a 2021 Trek Rail.

By following the exact same setup as the full T-Type system on the AXS app I can confirm that it does work, the only change I had to make was adjust the microshift down to down, after that all gears changed well, the only gripe I have is that the Shimano chain is quite noisy on the SRAM chainring so I "wouldn’t" recommend running it with the SRAM chainring and Shimano chain (edited to keep everyone happy)

IMG_0295.jpeg

Last edited:

BuzzinHornets

Jul 10, 2022
CA
For anyone that’s interested, I finally got round to testing the GX T-Type mech with a Shimano 10/51 cassette and a Shimano 12 speed chain and T-Type Bosch 36 toothed chainring on a 2021 Trek Rail.

By following the exact same setup as the full T-Type system on the AXS app I can confirm that it does work, the only change I had to make was adjust the microshift down to down, after that all gears changed well, the only gripe I have is that the Shimano chain is quite noisy on the SRAM chainring however that may change after bedding in, if not my Burgtec chainring work fine with Shimano chains…. If I get round to it later (and another set of hands)I’ll take a video of it shifting through the gears.

View attachment 123119

Why go through the expense of installing the XX chain ring only to run a Shimano chain? Of course it’s going to be noisy as it does not fit together correctly despite the illusion it is working fine. If you are hell bent on keeping the chain put the Burgtec on asap and save the wear and tear on both ring and chain.

TopUnit

Dec 4, 2022
Australia

By following the exact same setup as the full T-Type system on the AXS app I can confirm that it does work, the only change I had to make was adjust the microshift down to down, after that all gears changed well, the only gripe I have is that the Shimano chain is quite noisy on the SRAM chainring however that may change after bedding in, if not my Burgtec chainring work fine with Shimano chains…. If I get round to it later (and another set of hands)I’ll take a video of it shifting through the gears.
Why go through the expense of installing the XX chain ring only to run a Shimano chain? Of course it’s going to be noisy as it does not fit together correctly despite the illusion it is working fine. If you are hell bent on keeping the chain put the Burgtec on asap and save the wear and tear on both ring and chain.
100% agree, this is a bad idea and only likely to cause you trouble in the future, just do it properly.
Also you are missing the best part of being able to shift under full power

EuanS2

Subscriber
Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
It’s ok guys yous don’t need to worry as the correct parts are going on as soon as my XD driver freehub turns up this morning, besides I’m pretty sure the name of this thread is to see what’s compatible or not? I simply had the parts and the time to see what works and what doesn’t! I now know that the cassette and chain works fine with the mech but I wouldn’t bother with the SRAM chainring

IMG_0296.jpeg

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
That's exactly what I'm thinking too.

EuanS2

Subscriber
Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
That's exactly what I'm thinking too.
No need to think anything, it was called a compatibility test which is exactly what this thread is about. Also as I hinted to above, I don’t intend to run my bike like that, in fact both my bikes have full t-type on them now.

BuzzinHornets

Jul 10, 2022
CA
No need to think anything, it was called a compatibility test which is exactly what this thread is about. Also as I hinted to above, I don’t intend to run my bike like that, in fact both my bikes have full t-type on them now.

You do realize that statements such as "the only gripe I have is that the Shimano chain is quite noisy on the SRAM chainring however that may change after bedding in" could lead people to believe you intend to run this long term right?

EuanS2

Subscriber
Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
Yeah and it also states “may” and you’re also conveniently missing out my second post which states that I wouldn’t run it like that…. Anyway, thanks your your input 👍

BuzzinHornets

Jul 10, 2022
CA
Yeah and it also states “may” and you’re also conveniently missing out my second post which states that I wouldn’t run it like that…. Anyway, thanks your your input 👍
You mean the second post AFTER you were warned by more than one person? Yeah I saw it, not sure what your point is. You have one post saying you will run it and one saying you wont. Nobody was getting on your case, no need to try and cover up your tracks my guy. We were all just trying to help.

EuanS2

Subscriber
Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
You mean the second post AFTER you were warned by more than one person? Yeah I saw it, not sure what your point is. You have one post saying you will run it and one saying you wont. Nobody was getting on your case, no need to try and cover up your tracks my guy. We were all just trying to help.
OK then, thanks for your “help” 😂

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles