Fuel EXe so who's ordered the Trek Fuel EXe?

Balboa

Sep 25, 2022
NL
Last week they increased the prices. The 9.5 became €500 more expenisve in one weekend...........

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I just pre ordered a 9.5, due in stock in January apparently. The plan is to take the crappy rs 35 fork off and replace with a fox 36 160mm factory fork that I have hanging around the garage , replace the brakes with something decent,prob magura mt7, and replace the gears with SRAM axs taken off my current bike ,but not until they are worn out.

I may also put a spare fox float x2 that I have on it,but will see how the standard shock feels.

Balboa

Sep 25, 2022
NL
My 9.5 got Tektro Orion brakes instead of the listed shimano brakes. Had plans to take them off directly, but after a few rides I have to say that I finid them quit decent. Only the levers are to big, but that was solved by placing them more inwards and you can adjust the range of the levers. The 35 fork will be replaced soon and the damper is upgraded to a RS deluxe ultimate.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I just pre ordered a 9.5, due in stock in January apparently. The plan is to take the crappy rs 35 fork off and replace with a fox 36 160mm factory fork that I have hanging around the garage , replace the brakes with something decent,prob magura mt7, and replace the gears with SRAM axs taken off my current bike ,but not until they are worn out.

I may also put a spare fox float x2 that I have on it,but will see how the standard shock feels.
managed to find one in stock, so it should be here next week now.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Looks like my large 9.7 delivery date has slipped into no date given territory. No bikes anywhere around me either. There are 9.8's within 60 miles however. I guess I can swallow the $1,100 delta if needed. I have a 'go' from the chief financial officer and I don't want to let that window close.

Maybe give it another week and keep checking that the 9.8's are still in stock. Usually more patient but its prime riding season here right now.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Pleasantly surprised to get a call yesterday saying my bike is in. Asked that any service bulletins be checked (lock ring, firmware etc) and gave them a saddle height to shoot for. The first thing that comes off is the stock saddle and my Ergon goes on. Then it stays bone stock until the bike makes it past the 30 day grace period.

I haven't bought anything this spendy with two wheels that didn't have a license plate and say either KTM or Husqvarna on it.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
I paid $9000 usa out the door for my 9.8.
I paid $12000 out the door for this Yamaha Grizzly ATV. It is amazing over technical terrain but not as quiet and not much exercise.
201810055Ds-2959.jpg
20161126-5Ds-6870.jpg
20160708sixD-9900.jpg

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
Not getting many straight answers as to when my ordered 9.7 is going to be available (two separate dealers said they would have one in 454 days). Local shop has a 9.8 in stock. Looks like the highlights are carbon wheels, cranks, and stem/bar and the suspension change to RS from Fox. May just have to choke down that extra 1k and get this over with.
If you get the 9.8XT version, check the cranks. They are supposed to be the carbon cranks but many (including mine) were delivered with AL cranks. Supposedly they have a 9 months lead time on the carbon cranks.

Pakere

Nov 4, 2022
Hungary
Hello,

Few month ago I ordered a Trek Fuel EXe (9.7 pennyflake color, size L), but meanhwhile my financial has changed (in a bad way) so I can't afford the bike anymore.
My order is still active and the bike would arrive in the two weeks time. As I ordered way before I still have the original price thanks to the retailer.(~8300 EUR)

If someone is interested take the bike over, please pm me.
(I will cancel my order next week, if no one is interested)

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
Hello,

Few month ago I ordered a Trek Fuel EXe (9.7 pennyflake color, size L), but meanhwhile my financial has changed (in a bad way) so I can't afford the bike anymore.
My order is still active and the bike would arrive in the two weeks time. As I ordered way before I still have the original price thanks to the retailer.(~8300 EUR)

If someone is interested take the bike over, please pm me.
(I will cancel my order next week, if no one is interested)
That is nice of you but I think I would only ask friends if they were interested. Have you heard the saying, "No good deed goes unpunished?" For you I think there is some risk with a stranger and little to gain.

Pakere

Nov 4, 2022
Hungary
I have't heard, but I googled it :)
Probably you are right, I thought about a personal handover to minimize risk.
My main motivation is to not put the retalier in a bad situation (as they fought for the old price to me).

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
I have't heard, but I googled it :)
Probably you are right, I thought about a personal handover to minimize risk.
My main motivation is to not put the retalier in a bad situation (as they fought for the old price to me).
I would explain your situation to the retailer and ask them what would be best for them. It might be easy for them to cancel or they might want to just put it in stock.

Balboa

Sep 25, 2022
NL
How tedious was the Ridewrap to install? Did you remove anything other than the tires and wheels to install it?
I used ridewrap too. Had to remove the chain protector and batteryplate. Was my first time wrapping a frame, but it wasn't that hard. Took me approximately 4 hours.

Xinto

Jun 21, 2022
Finland
How tedious was the Ridewrap to install? Did you remove anything other than the tires and wheels to install it?
I used ridewrap too. Had to remove the chain protector and batteryplate. Was my first time wrapping a frame, but it wasn't that hard. Took me approximately 4 hours.
Pretty much same experience as Balboa.
Wheels, chain, chainslap protection off and also my first time.
I took also battery off to make it lighter for stand, but not necessary.
Hardest piece was the big downtube piece and it would be easier without fork, but can be done without removing it.

The Reverend

Aug 13, 2022
Melbourne
Pretty much same experience as Balboa.
Wheels, chain, chainslap protection off and also my first time.
I took also battery off to make it lighter for stand, but not necessary.
Hardest piece was the big downtube piece and it would be easier without fork, but can be done without removing it.
Same, I did it over two days. Probably took me closer to 5.5 hours as I really went slowly.

Lots of slip solution is the key to success, and excellent lighting.

It's certainly paid for itself though as it has protected the frame against heel rub on the NDS chainstay. A pain to install but would definitely recommend it or some other frame protection.

SensonicHp

Nov 11, 2022
Sweden
I have ordered an EXe 9.8 XT
Have noticed that different 9.8 XT bikes shows up with different specs on them. I have now looked at three different exe 9.8 XT
Trek specifies the 9.8 xt with Carbon crankarms and XT M81 brakes and full XT powertrain
One bike 9.8 Xt had alucrankarms, and Sram code brakes, another 9.8 Xt had alu crankarms, sheep deore cassette but XT brakes. 3rd one had carbon crankarms, SLX cassette and Sram code brakes.

What is this? Why are they not as the spec on the Trek website?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Have noticed that different 9.8 XT bikes shows up with different specs on them. I have now looked at three different exe 9.8 XT
Trek specifies the 9.8 xt with Carbon crankarms and XT M81 brakes and full XT powertrain
One bike 9.8 Xt had alucrankarms, and Sram code brakes, another 9.8 Xt had alu crankarms, sheep deore cassette but XT brakes. 3rd one had carbon crankarms, SLX cassette and Sram code brakes.

The small print on most manufacturers websites says they reserve the right to change the spec as required.

Usually it's due to a shortage of one of the originally specified parts, you might be able to negotiate a price reduction if the substitute parts are of lower spec than what is specified on the website.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States

Likely supply chain issues. Mine was to spec except the cranks which were Al, not carbon. They didnt say anything when I picked up the bike but when I mentioned it to them, they said they will correct it.

SensonicHp

Nov 11, 2022
Sweden
The small print on most manufacturers websites says they reserve the right to change the spec as required.

Usually it's due to a shortage of one of the originally specified parts, you might be able to negotiate a price reduction if the substitute parts are of lower spec than what is specified on the website.
Yes, that can be the case but it's a to big spec difference, If I need to rebuild almost half the bike to get the spec I want I rather buy another bike.

penguinni

E*POWAH Snack Master
Subscriber
Jun 22, 2020
Bangor, N Ireland
My 9.5 got Tektro Orion brakes instead of the listed shimano brakes. Had plans to take them off directly, but after a few rides I have to say that I finid them quit decent. Only the levers are to big, but that was solved by placing them more inwards and you can adjust the range of the levers. The 35 fork will be replaced soon and the damper is upgraded to a RS deluxe ultimate.
My eBike had those Tektro brakes and I found them absolutely faultless. I had planned an early upgrade but it simply wasn’t necessary as they performed as well as any Shimano/Hope/ Magura brakes that I previously had used. Fitted with UberComponents brake pads and XT discs they stopped on a dime, were generally silent and are terrific value.

SensonicHp

Nov 11, 2022
Sweden
Has any of you got an EXe delivered with the wrong spec?
What do they offer to fix it? Send the right parts later or lower price with what it cost to buy the right spec?

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
Has any of you got an EXe delivered with the wrong spec?
What do they offer to fix it? Send the right parts later or lower price with what it cost to buy the right spec?
I had the wrong cranks on my EXe. They were supposed to be the carbon cranks but instead came with Al cranks.
when I mentioned it to my local Trek store, they offered to either provide $300 in store credits (difference in cost) or to provide the correct cranks when they become available. They stated 9months lead time.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
For what its worth my 9.7 was item for item what the spec said it was. I would take that $300 in a heartbeat. Not a fan of carbon MTB cranks. Put the money into the touch points. Put on a set of Ergon G2 Fat grips the other day. Lots of value for money there.

SensonicHp

Nov 11, 2022
Sweden
For what its worth my 9.7 was item for item what the spec said it was. I would take that $300 in a heartbeat. Not a fan of carbon MTB cranks. Put the money into the touch points. Put on a set of Ergon G2 Fat grips the other day. Lots of value for money there.
I see, I will ask my dealer how this will be handled. if the bike shows up with the wrong parts. Maybe I'm not so interested in a bike that I have to rebuild.

smc_stefan

Oct 10, 2022
Austria
Pulled out of the EXe.
Two reasons:
My LBS told me, they will not get a single 9.8 XT in yellow in 22 and 23 which was a bummer cause honestly, if I buy a bike this expensive, I want the spec I want.
More important, after testriding both, I went for the full fat Levo as it fits my needs better.

The EXe still was a great bike though.
Enjoy your rides!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles