Levo SL Gen 1 SL Comp Owners Thoughts?

AaronMc

Aug 12, 2020
UK
Just looking for some thoughts of the Levo Comp SL owners?

I am still working out whether to go SL or Full Fat. Can get a good deal on the SL and have it in 4 days time, with a good discount.

The more analog style feeling is what is tempting me to go for the SL, as I enjoy the effort to climb etc currently on my Scott Hardtail, but would be nice to have the motor there as and when it is needed. I rode a Turbo Levo on Monday and whilst very impressive on climbs, and it does barge over anything, it felt heavy when the motor is off

Just thinking is it good value for money or should I be looking at the Turbo Levo Comp?

Any advice welcome!

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
From what you’ve posted here and on your other thread I’d say you’ll find the SL more rewarding. If you can have it imminently AND get a discount I’d be going for it.
I should probably add that I really like my SL CC.

AaronMc

Aug 12, 2020
UK
Thanks for your reply!

The discount is very appealing, and I just feel it will give me more of a natural ride for what I want.

Always nice to hear thoughts of other owners though!

DreamensioN

Aug 9, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Just for some perspective...

I have a hardtail human powered MTB, and I also rode the Levo SL and the Levo Comp FF. It's true that the SL was much closer to the traditional bike experience, and the thought also crossed my mind that if I went the SL and the battery goes flat, then to get back home/to the car wouldn't be that much different to riding a normal MTB.

But then I also thought - if I'm going to be spending this much money, why get a bike that's very close to my existing experience? Yep the Levo FF is heavier, but for me (and I'm a heavy dude) the motor is more powerful and the battery is double the capacity. So I ended up going the full fat version. But for me it's also the type of riding I do.

I like trail riding/open country dirt road stuff. I haven't the skill or courage to do downhill technical stuff, sweet jumps, hard cornering or 90% of the stuff you see in MTB/eMTB youtube videos.

So for me it's... Levo FF for when I'm riding by myself (or if I need to keep up with people faster than me); and the normal MTB when I'm riding with friends who need me to be on a level playing field, or if I want to remember how much of a struggle that particular hill climb was.

AaronMc

Aug 12, 2020
UK
Thank you for the above.

I was weighing up the same, just think the FF may be too much for me as I still love the burn from riding.

Full fat is a chunk more money also which is a factor for me!

AaronMc

Aug 12, 2020
UK
Thank you. Is it worth going for the Carbn Comp vs the Alloy Comp? I see spec if no different at all, but will be slightly lighter..

Tacoloco

Jan 18, 2020
San Diego
I was about to pull the trigger on the carbon comp, then I woke up and realized that my poor@$$ was about to spend another $1K for a 2 lb. weight saving...

I'll probably go with the alloy SL

What is the real weight difference between a carbon comp and the alloy?

Grizzy

Mar 10, 2020
TX
I am sticking with the Comp SL I think! Just finalizing some numbers with the LBS!

you can trim the alloy down to close to 40#’s with smart parts selection.

before you pull the trigger think of parts you want to run.

If it’s lightweight trail parts SL is the bike.

if it’s DH tired and inserts and coil shocks I’d go full turbo (not SL). Mines built in the middle and needs to trim some on the wheels to see the benefits IMO.

the 35nm of torque is low enough that at my weight of 185 it’s no help on accelerating or accelerating hard on a climb. More so w/ heavy tires.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
The SL adds 240 watts so for an average rider that puts us at pro rider power levels. The 35 n*m is low compared to a Levo but we can make up for some of that with rpm. I am really happy with my SL and prefer alloy.

danf72

Jun 18, 2020
Berkshire
From what you are describing the SL sounds perfect.
I made the mistake of going FF, costley one at that but luckily managed to pick up a slightly used SL comp carbon the other day. The SL is so much lighter in feel and maneuverability whilst still providing a good amounts of assistance. Like others have already posted it's almost the perfect one bike fits all. Even thinking of selling the analogue!

Just a shame mine is now in bits waiting for new parts to arrive.

Good luck with the purchase. You will love the SL for sure.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
The SL adds 240 watts so for an average rider that puts us at pro rider power levels.
I know that Specialized calls it "2x you" - which is perfectly reasonable - but when I'm talking to people about it, I find that describing the bike as needing "half the effort" seems to resonate with them more.

AaronMc

Aug 12, 2020
UK
I’m pretty fit and in decent shape but I ride bike parks and forests with big 30 minute climbs, the SL just makes the day a breeze and you enjoy the downhill so much more that your not blowing out your ass! Can ride consecutive days in a row and still feel fresh, best thing I’ve done is get a SL comp

Reassuring to hear mate, thank you! Any upgrades it needs out the box?

danf72

Jun 18, 2020
Berkshire

Forks!!!!!!!Everything is ok to be honest. Even impressed with NX group set. I run X01 and GX Eagle on my other rides and it’s not a million miles away in terms of feel and shift quality. Better pads will make the brakes feel a whole lot better than stock.

That being said, my SL is looking pretty sorry for itself as I’ve stripped it down. New build starting shortly.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Upgrades depend on where you ride and how you ride. Mine did not "need" anything, then after a hundred miles or so I wanted smaller wheels so I went with 27.5; the bars felt too wide so I trimmed them a few inches; the gearing felt too short so I installed a 34T chainring. No more changes planned, it's a nice ride!

Jim_bo

May 9, 2020
Las Vegas
I'm a bit late, but I'll offer my opinion.

My wife and I both ride StumpJumpers. She has an Expert and I have a Pro. We have a group of friends we ride with regularly. Over time, many of the members of our group have gotten faster and stronger, but my wife seems to have topped out. She became frustrated because she used to be one the top riders, but she has evolved to a back of the pack rider. I bought her the SL Expert and I upgraded the fork and shock. I was disappointed that the SL only comes with a 34 fork.

When I got the bike, I put it together and it weighed 39 pounds without pedals. I rode the bike a few times and I loved it. It seemed to ride better than my Stumpjumper Pro. Very planted. Very predictable. But otherwise, if felt just like riding my bike.

My wife has logged about 5 rides on the SL now and she loves it. She is riding in the front of the pack again. However, she keeps the bike on Eco, or she rides with the motor turned off (about 25% of the time). She is ready to get rid of her SJ because she feels this bike duplicates the SJ plus some.

Conclusion: if you want to ride at analog bike speeds with other analog bike riders, the SL is a great option. I've ridden the FF Levo and I think I would become very bored, very quickly riding that with analog bike riders.

By the way... if you know where to get good deals on the SL, I'd be grateful if you shared the knowledge.

Dale10ellis10

Jul 14, 2020
Newton Aycliffe
yeah as said, forks and brakes and maybe a chain ring. It’s the best bike I’ve had by far so out the box it’s more than good for me. Best thing I’ve found about it, you can tackle challenging and technical climbs all day long and actually really enjoy them, I find myself looking for techy climbs and stuff that you would normally look at on a normal and bike and think F that!

Jim_bo

May 9, 2020
Las Vegas
the 35nm of torque is low enough that at my weight of 185 it’s no help on accelerating or accelerating hard on a climb. More so w/ heavy tires.

I tried to get my SL to sprout wings and fly up a hill... But it failed at that too. Amazing how it failed to do that which it was not designed to do.

Grizzy

Mar 10, 2020
TX
I’m 203lbs and at 80% power on an incline where the front tire just skips about I will have downshift 2 gears of I turn the bike off. That’s with DH tires. So I’m not sure how you could think it’s no help?!? It’s 240 watts of motor assistance!!!

Can see how I was misleading.

The additional wattage helps for sustained effort - definitely. Even lowest amount of assist helps there.

Also need to eat some crow after a ride this morning. It helps more than I’m giving it credit for and I’m realizing the motor programming is so good you start to forget it’s helping.

I’m coming out of a bad neck injury and on platforms currently. Prior to the injury I was clipped in and an ex BMX guy racing local pro class enduros. The combo of the great motor feel and expectation to be my usual speed mad me forget I’m climbing in platforms about the pace I was doing clipped in on an XC hardtail.

So... you are right (Can’t believe I told the truth on the internet ?)

Waldolo

May 15, 2020
Vancouver
Thank you all! SL it is, will get it ordered this week! Very excited!
Hey Aaron, picked up my comp carbon levo SL in March right before COVID hit which was a lifesaver. I rode a Devinci FF last season a couple of times when I borrowed it from a friend to see what e-bikes are all about. The thing was 52lb and you definitely felt the weight. If you tipped over on something, it's a bitch to right it up. It was easy so easy to climb but not worth the "non-mountain bike feel" in my opinion. Since owning the SL, I found that not only is it VERY pedalable with the motor turned off, at the end of a few laps on the shore (North Vancouver BC), I usually still had 85-90% battery left. That's how little i used it if i turned it on at all. There were many rides where i didn't even bother turning it on and I was still keeping up with groups on 32lb enduros. So much so that last week, i took the downtube battery out to save the 4lbs. I bought a range extender and now i have a instantly convertible "acoustic bike" (I hate that term) or ebike if i'm feeling sluggish or needing to a quick lap. The SL is an absolute game changer. My neighbor designs bikes for another reputable bike company and he told me they bought an SL to try to reverse engineer it to see how they did everything. Their conclusion: specialized has an unlimited R&D budget and paid very close attention to detail on this bike =). That made me feel really good about dropping the amount of money on this bike as I did. I'm 42 this year, pretty fit, and I TRULY believe that this is the last bike I'm going to buy (at least that's what I've told my wife LOL). I'm excited for you and in the next 2-3 years, i'm 100% positive that you'll see a couple other sub 40lb ebikes. It's an e-bike for mountain bikers.

Waldolo

May 15, 2020
Vancouver
Has anyone else taken the downtube battery out? Wanted to get people's thoughts and comments on their experience riding the bike after. I'll keep my thoughts to myself until i hear from others.

Waldolo

May 15, 2020
Vancouver
I upgraded to Fox 36 and SRAM Code R brakes before I even picked up the bike from my LBS so i have no idea how the 34 rode with the guide brakes but everyone says the 36 is needed and better brakes needed given the added weight of the bike. I have ZERO complaints. I would also suggest upgrading the eliminator tires out back with butchers or minions. I do find the eliminators lacking traction. Next up is carbon bars (next week) from OneUp.

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
I TRULY believe that this is the last bike I'm going to buy (at least that's what I've told my wife LOL). I'm excited for you and in the next 2-3 years, i'm 100% positive that you'll see a couple other sub 40lb ebikes. It's an e-bike for mountain bikers.

LOL I've told myself the same thing (I've an SL expert) but I'm sure in 3-4 years Specialized will have a successor to the SL that I will absolutely NEED. :) Until that time this is my 'forever bike'. :)
btw, i'm 50 this year, very fit, and absolutely love my SL. Switching from my 19 FF Comp was absolutely the right decision.

AlexEMTB

Feb 5, 2020
Santa Monica
I upgraded to Fox 36 and SRAM Code R brakes before I even picked up the bike from my LBS so i have no idea how the 34 rode with the guide brakes but everyone says the 36 is needed and better brakes needed given the added weight of the bike. I have ZERO complaints. I would also suggest upgrading the eliminator tires out back with butchers or minions. I do find the eliminators lacking traction. Next up is carbon bars (next week) from OneUp.
I've found on fast berms, I lose traction. You think going Butchers on the rear could help?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles