Levo Gen 3 Thoughts on bike size

Nick W

Jan 2, 2022
Bolinas, CA
I own a 2022 Levo expert S3. I’m 5’6 with a long torso and short legs. My wingspan is about 5’8.

When I went through the sizing app thing on the specialized site it said I should get an s2. I was mystified by specialized geometry because every other new bike my size has 450 reach and the s2 has 435 reach.

My last bike was a medium 2018 Moustache with 435 reach and it sometimes felt cramped to me. It had what I felt was short reach and super long (460) chain stay and I felt the geometry was out dated.

I felt like I would love longer reach and shorter chain stay. I thought I knew better than specialized and that I needed the S3. I test rode an S3 and it felt big but good. I couldn’t ride an s2 because there were none near me.

After riding my S3 about 200 miles I now think I messed up and should have bought the s2, and that I shouldn’t have been so stuck on the reach measurement. The stand over height on these bikes is pretty tall, and they just feel big.

I rode with a friend who is about 5’8 and has an s3 Levo and he is a much better rider than I am but it just looks like he can maneuver the bike a lot easier than I can.

I’m a life long cyclist having ridden bmx bikes til I basically couldn’t any more due to age and infirmity (I’m 45 and have some nagging old injuries) so it’s not like I lack bike handling skills.

I think I could ride an s2 with much more agility but because I couldn’t actually ride one I’m just left wondering. Should I sell my new bike and get an s2? Should I just ride my S3 and learn to maneuver a bigger bike?

I have put a 40mm stem on and cut my bars down to 770, but the bike still feels tall and long. I like riding up (and down) very steep challenging single track that many people only ride down.

Downhill my bike feels great, but on the challenging uphills I’m finding it difficult to hop my rear end over slippery logs etc because the bike is so big.

It’s possible that I’m just not as good of a rider as I think I am and that my bike fits me fine and that I need to stop whining.

I just don’t know because I’ve only ridden mountain bikes since 2016 and I don’t really know how mountain bikes are supposed to fit.

Sorry for the long rambling incoherent post

Last edited by a moderator:

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I'm even shorter (see avatar!) with a relatively long torso and short legs. I watched the RAD video when it came out and learned that my size small '19 Turbo Levo was too big for me. It's great for monster trucking when I'm just I'm just hanging on, but it's horrible for the precision needed for tight, steep switchbacks. There were very few choices available when I bought the bike, so I went with what I could get. I'll be way more careful with the next one.

Nick W

Jan 2, 2022
Bolinas, CA
This is an interesting video:
SIZING MY NEXT MOUNTAIN BIKE | How long is too long?

It may be why you are finding the S3 a little too big.

I’ve watched some of these guys videos on bike fit and the rad measurement which was what made me start questioning my purchase. Another friend whose opinion I trust told me that rad doesn’t take into account factors like ape index and that I shouldn’t take rad too seriously. I have tried to shorten the rad measurement with shorter stem, lower rise bars, and lowering my stem.

Part of my problem is I sized down with a Surly I bought, got a small, and found it to be too small. Soi thought I liked big bikes and was inclined to size up.

The bike I owned before my Levo was a medium Moustache emtb from 2018 with 435 reach and I felt like it was a weird mixture of too short in some places and too long in others. I felt like the cockpit was too small in some situations, and the chain stay felt super long (460 or 465). The head angle was not super slack and the seat angle was not steep. I pored over geometry charts and tried to ride as many bikes as I could, and I felt like the S3 looked pretty good on paper. 15mm reach doesn’t seem like much, and I figured I could compensate for itby changing my 50mm stem to a 35mm.

Most likely I’m over thinking stuff

Nick W

Jan 2, 2022
Bolinas, CA
I'm even shorter (see avatar!) with a relatively long torso and short legs. I watched the RAD video when it came out and learned that my size small '19 Turbo Levo was too big for me. It's great for monster trucking when I'm just I'm just hanging on, but it's horrible for the precision needed for tight, steep switchbacks. There were very few choices available when I bought the bike, so I went with what I could get. I'll be way more careful with the next one.

Yeah, wow, you weren’t kidding! I can see why your small Levo is too big for you. You look really good for 65 though

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I’ve watched some of these guys videos on bike fit and the rad measurement which was what made me start questioning my purchase. Another friend whose opinion I trust told me that rad doesn’t take into account factors like ape index and that I shouldn’t take rad too seriously. I have tried to shorten the rad measurement with shorter stem, lower rise bars, and lowering my stem.

Part of my problem is I sized down with a Surly I bought, got a small, and found it to be too small. Soi thought I liked big bikes and was inclined to size up.

The bike I owned before my Levo was a medium Moustache emtb from 2018 with 435 reach and I felt like it was a weird mixture of too short in some places and too long in others. I felt like the cockpit was too small in some situations, and the chain stay felt super long (460 or 465). The head angle was not super slack and the seat angle was not steep. I pored over geometry charts and tried to ride as many bikes as I could, and I felt like the S3 looked pretty good on paper. 15mm reach doesn’t seem like much, and I figured I could compensate for itby changing my 50mm stem to a 35mm.

Most likely I’m over thinking stuff
Yes I think you are over thinking it, (we're all guilty of it when we've spent a lot of money).
At 5'6" I think you can comfortably ride an S3.
You just need to get used to it after your old bike.

Nick W

Jan 2, 2022
Bolinas, CA
Yes I think you are over thinking it, (we're all guilty of it when we've spent a lot of money).
At 5'6" I think you can comfortably ride an S3.
You just need to get used to it after your old bike.

thank you. Do you think it’s worth getting a low bar/short stem combo? I could get a 31mm renthal stem and 10 or 20mm rise fatbar. My current bars are 30 and 35mm rise on 40mm stem. I have a 35mm stem on the way that I haven’t tried yet

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
thank you. Do you think it’s worth getting a low bar/short stem combo? I could get a 31mm renthal stem and 10 or 20mm rise fatbar. My current bars are 30 and 35mm rise on 40mm stem. I have a 35mm stem on the way that I haven’t tried yet
I would keep the 30 mm rise bars, if they are lower they make the bike have even more reach.
Try the 35mm stem, but don't go super short as it will make the bike feel twitchy.
Make sure the bars aren't rotated forward, they should be rotated so that bike grips are in line the the angle of the forks . Remember you can also slide the seat forward a bit also.
I would also try having all the spacers under the stem as again it will put the bars a bit closer to you.
My pal has just bought an S3 and he is your height, and he loves it 🤟

Nick W

Jan 2, 2022
Bolinas, CA
I would keep the 30 mm rise bars, if they are lower they make the bike have even more reach.
Try the 35mm stem, but don't go super short as it will make the bike feel twitchy.
Make sure the bars aren't rotated forward, they should be rotated so that bike grips are in line the the angle of the forks . Remember you can also slide the seat forward a bit also.
I would also try having all the spacers under the stem as again it will put the bars a bit closer to you.
My pal has just bought an S3 and he is your height, and he loves it 🤟

thank you. I was figuring shorter stem and bars would make the RAD measurement less, not more, but I get what you are saying

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
A few years ago, I bought a new size large bike with too much reach 462 mm (fantastic deal $9.5 k bike for $4.5k on eBay)… it already had a fairly short stem.

I used Sqlab 30x riser bars with 16 degree sweep back bars to shorten the reach and make it more comfortable…

I then built up a size medium frame…sold it and kept the large with the 30x bars because I enjoyed riding it more.

That said, I’d thing twice about a larger size now since I prefer a more upright position with shorter reach so there is less weight on my hands.

I have not ridden the newer geo bikes with Sx sizing and the steeper seat angles…don’t know if that would change anything for me.

I was lucky it worked out for that fabulous deal.

The aluminum version is less expensive if you want to try it.

I run these bars on my all my bikes now.

Last edited:

Nick W

Jan 2, 2022
Bolinas, CA
A few years ago, I bought a new size large bike with too much reach 462 mm (fantastic deal $9.5 k bike for $4.5k on eBay)… it already had a fairly short stem.

I used Sqlab 30x riser bars with 16 degree sweep back bars to shorten the reach and make it more comfortable…

I then built up a size medium frame…sold it and kept the large with the 30x bars because I enjoyed riding it more.

That said, I’d thing twice about a larger size now since I prefer a more upright position with shorter reach so there is less weight on my hands.

I have not ridden the newer geo bikes with Sx sizing and the steeper seat angles…don’t know if that would change anything for me.

I was lucky it worked out for that fabulous deal.

The aluminum version is less expensive if you want to try it.

I run these bars on my all my bikes now.

I have thought of trying them. I love sq labs seats

GoOnOne

Dec 18, 2021
Germany
I am about 5'7 and similarly sized. A Medium felt cramped, so I went with a Large (2020 Turbo Comp HT). Go with the bigger bike, it will be fine.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I'm 5'9"/175CM and a couple years back YT convinced me I needed a large (Decoy), 455 reach if I remember right. I kind of fell into this "new" size standard when I sold the Decoy and got a Levo SL in large as well, 455 reach and it seemed great at first. As it happens a buddy of mine was selling a M SL (435 reach) and let me ride it for about a week, it wasn't until this point I really figured out that M suits me better, so I sold the SL in L.

On the medium I bumped up the stem from 45mm to 50mm and put the seat favoring rearward on rails. Result for me is a quicker handling bike but not cramped either. To me no distinguishable performance in decending or climbing on either size, but M standover advantage for my 30" inseam, medium definatley more manuverable.

Now I'm in the market for Gen3 Levo and am very confused by new S sizing because an S2 is now effectively the same as last year's M even though they now consider it size SMALL (S2=432 reach, last year's M = 435mm). By "new" sizing I'm an S3/M 452mm reach (last year's L 455mm reach). My best guess is that an S2 will be my size but I really need to try them out back to back. The last thing I want is a bike that feels big, especially with the added weight on FF Levos but don't want to feel cramped in the cockpit either.

Definately feel skeptical of the new sizing the bike industry is pushing.

1641653993702.png
1641655387554.png

Nick W

Jan 2, 2022
Bolinas, CA
I'm 5'9"/175CM and a couple years back YT convinced me I needed a large (Decoy), 455 reach if I remember right. I kind of fell into this "new" size standard when I sold the Decoy and got a Levo SL in large as well, 455 reach and it seemed great at first. As it happens a buddy of mine was selling a M SL (435 reach) and let me ride it for about a week, it wasn't until this point I really figured out that M suits me better, so I sold the SL in L.

On the medium I bumped up the stem from 45mm to 50mm and put the seat favoring rearward on rails. Result for me is a quicker handling bike but not cramped either. To me no distinguishable performance in decending or climbing on either size, but M standover advantage for my 30" inseam, medium definatley more manuverable.

Now I'm in the market for Gen3 Levo and am very confused by new S sizing because an S2 is now effectively the same as last year's M even though they now consider it size SMALL (S2=432 reach, last year's M = 435mm). By "new" sizing I'm an S3/M 452mm reach (last year's L 455mm reach). My best guess is that an S2 will be my size but I really need to try them out back to back. The last thing I want is a bike that feels big, especially with the added weight on FF Levos but don't want to feel cramped in the cockpit either.

View attachment 79520 View attachment 79527

Thank you, that sort of reinforces my feelings. I have gotten responses favoring both sides, so I guess it really is just a preference thing. I got to ride a 2021 small and I felt like I could totally ride a small! I met someone else my height that rides an S4 and loves it. My feeling is that I would be better off with an s2, that I would be better able to ride the way I want to. But that means I need to sell my brand new bike and take a substantial loss on it. Thank you everyone for your input, I really appreciate it

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk

View attachment 79520 View attachment 79527
At 5 9 you will be a medium.
I'm about your height and rode a 2020 Levo in medium for a few years.
Friend has just bought a 2021 levo in size s3.
I rode it and despite what the numbers say, it didn't feel any bigger.
Go s3.

Nick W

Jan 2, 2022
Bolinas, CA
At 5 9 you will be a medium.
I'm about your height and rode a 2020 Levo in medium for a few years.
Friend has just bought a 2021 levo in size s3.
I rode it and despite what the numbers say, it didn't feel any bigger.
Go s3.
My friend that is about 5’8 and rides a medium thought my S3 felt smaller than his medium. But I think his medium feels smaller than my S3, the S3 geometry is just different. I think an s2 might feel a little smaller or more agile than a medium because of the smaller rear wheel and shorter chain stay.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I'm actually riding/selling my Gen2 Levo comp medium right now (did not mention in previous post).

It is set up mullet with flipchip high, 40mm stem and 30mm rise bars @ 790. It feels good, HTA approx 64 degrees. Selling because I really want shorter chainstays and as close a feel to my Levo SL as possible but with full power. Trying for Sworks frameset to hopefully land around 49lbs with my build.

Still confused by the sizing, both most previous replies are opposite in opinion.

What throws me off is the "effective top tube length", that measurement is a lot shorter on S2 than 2021 M.

Not sure how to interpret this difference, trouble is finding an actual store in my area that has both S2/S3 levos.

1641663751251.png

Nick W

Jan 2, 2022
Bolinas, CA
I'm actually riding/selling my Gen2 Levo comp medium right now (did not mention in previous post).

It is set up mullet with flipchip high, 40mm stem and 30mm rise bars @ 790. It feels good, HTA approx 64 degrees. Selling because I really want shorter chainstays and as close a feel to my Levo SL as possible but with full power. Trying for Sworks frameset to hopefully land around 49lbs with my build.

Still confused by the sizing, both most previous replies are opposite in opinion.

What throws me off is the "effective top tube length", that measurement is a lot shorter on S2 than 2021 M.

Not sure how to interpret this difference, trouble is finding an actual store in my area that has both S2/S3 levos.

View attachment 79556
I was just comparing reach which is similar between the old medium and the new S2. I’m not really sure how top tube length matters now that seat tubes are steeper and reach is the measurement more commonly used. Please enlighten me if I’m missing something. I’m not an expert on any of this stuff. Maybe the “effective top tube” length is what makes the S3 closer in feeling to the medium than an S2. Another thing to take into account is that, as far as I know, all Gen 3 carbon frames are the same, unlike gen2. So whether you are buying an Expert complete or an s works frame, you are getting the same frame.

Sep 13, 2021
SI
The best compare and visualize can be seen at:

Try the S3 size, compare it to S4, but it depends what you will ride. But my suggestion to you is S3.
I'm 183cm tall and had choosen S4 size.

All the best.

Woody2

Jul 29, 2020
New Zealand
Interesting dilemma for sure. I had a large 2019 turbo levo that always felt a little unwieldy which was probably a combination of size and my lack of skills. When I upgraded to a 2022 turbo levo I went with a size 3 medium. According to the size charts I’m pretty much on the cusp at 178cm. Personally it was the right call for me to downsize as I can handle the bike better etc ( upgraded geo probably helps too to be fair). Good luck working out what suits you best!

emtber

Oct 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
I bought the same bike last Oct. and have exactly the same thoughts and feelings as you. I'm 5'7", 160#, 30" inseam and slightly long arms. Just turned 69 but am in good shape considering a bad back has made me weaker and less agile. While testing, I rode the S3 on level streets and it felt fine and so smooth. But when I hopped on an S2, it was noticeably easier to maneuver, was more comfortable while seated and seemed to fit better. It was so intuitive to maneuver, but when I stood up on the pedals the bars seemed a bit close to my legs and my head was more over the bars. I was torn because the S2 was so much more responsive, but scary to ride, being more over the front wheel. However, I had no experience riding off road, other than some fire roads on my old hardtail, long ago. Also, the Specialized fitter, who was a very experienced rider, thought the S3 appeared to fit me better. So, since I'm in the middle of the S3 range and have little experience, I went with that. For 3 months, I've worked hard on learning the basic riding position and skills. It's been a lot of fun and I'm starting to handle the 'big' feeling bike better, but I've also made adjustments to make it handle easier/smaller. First, my hands got tired from the pressure, so I pushed the seat forward to shorten the reach. Then I moved one of the 2 stem spacers under the bars. Perhaps I can move another spacer under but then the top edge of the stem will be slightly above the top of the steerer tube. Not sure if that's a good idea. And last week I switched out the head angle adjuster and made it 1 deg steep from std, 65.5. Taken altogether, the bike is more comfortable, easier to handle and more responsive. In fact, I overturn sometimes. Lastly, I lowered to entire dropper post slightly which did 2 good things. Since my legs are not as extended as recommended, I don't get pushed up and off my flat pedals when I hit a rock or big root. Also, when coming to a stop, I can drop the seat lower than before and easily stay seated, and more easily tilt the bike over and dismount. Yes, it's still 50 lbs and I'm struggling to raise either wheel at all, but leaning back does unweight the front and the big 29 easily rolls over curbs, rocks and small logs. I think I need to learn to use the suspension to spring the front end up. And I too wish the standover height was lower. The S2 is 7 cm lower, but that ain't much difference for you and I when we need to jump off quick, especially with the saddle up. Being experienced you probably know this, but I heard a reviewer say that to make the Levo turn and pop, one really needs to actively weight the front tire. I just started to do that and it makes a huge difference, especially riding uphill where gravity pulls us back onto the back wheel, making the bike go straight. There is no doubt that an S2 would be easier to handle, but if those measurements already felt cramped, then you would probably have the same feeling. Hopefully, some bike and technique adjustments will make the bike liveable for you, and maybe even happy. I know how you're feeling. Give it some time. I'm getting there, lol.

Last edited:

Pumba

Oct 24, 2019
Shropshire
I own a 2022 Levo expert S3. I’m 5’6 with a long torso and short legs. My wingspan is about 5’8.

When I went through the sizing app thing on the specialized site it said I should get an s2. I was mystified by specialized geometry because every other new bike my size has 450 reach and the s2 has 435 reach.

My last bike was a medium 2018 Moustache with 435 reach and it sometimes felt cramped to me. It had what I felt was short reach and super long (460) chain stay and I felt the geometry was out dated.

I felt like I would love longer reach and shorter chain stay. I thought I knew better than specialized and that I needed the S3. I test rode an S3 and it felt big but good. I couldn’t ride an s2 because there were none near me.

After riding my S3 about 200 miles I now think I messed up and should have bought the s2, and that I shouldn’t have been so stuck on the reach measurement. The stand over height on these bikes is pretty tall, and they just feel big.

I rode with a friend who is about 5’8 and has an s3 Levo and he is a much better rider than I am but it just looks like he can maneuver the bike a lot easier than I can.

I’m a life long cyclist having ridden bmx bikes til I basically couldn’t any more due to age and infirmity (I’m 45 and have some nagging old injuries) so it’s not like I lack bike handling skills.

I think I could ride an s2 with much more agility but because I couldn’t actually ride one I’m just left wondering. Should I sell my new bike and get an s2? Should I just ride my S3 and learn to maneuver a bigger bike?

I have put a 40mm stem on and cut my bars down to 770, but the bike still feels tall and long. I like riding up (and down) very steep challenging single track that many people only ride down.

Downhill my bike feels great, but on the challenging uphills I’m finding it difficult to hop my rear end over slippery logs etc because the bike is so big.

It’s possible that I’m just not as good of a rider as I think I am and that my bike fits me fine and that I need to stop whining.

I just don’t know because I’ve only ridden mountain bikes since 2016 and I don’t really know how mountain bikes are supposed to fit.

I’m 5”6 and ride an S2 Kenevo and it’s perfect because I feel like I’m in control of the bike and can also move it about with ease.
I did have a M Levo and it felt

j.e.

Jun 29, 2020
Germany

View attachment 79556

I'm 176 cm with a bit longer arms and ride an S3. It sometimes felt small so i had to push the saddle backwards a bit. I think you should at least get an S3.

Woody2

Jul 29, 2020
New Zealand
I'm 182cm, S3 or S4 ? I had a 19 Levo in L and it always felt too long
I’m 178cm and the large 2019 Turbo levo I purchased felt too long so the latest 2022 edition I went down to a S3. That suits me but probably depends on whatever feels comfortable and right for you.

jlwoody

Dec 18, 2022
Edinburgh
I too started to re-consider my S4 sizing, as my reach feels too short. The S5 was an option, but the LBS said no, S4 is best for me, as the S5 is like an old XL size.

I’m 186 / 6’1, with a tall torso, and 32” inseam, but I too feel like I’m gonna go over the handle bars, unless I stay WAY back on decents.
I have a 2014 Stumpy EVO, and it’s almost exactly the same size in many areas, but the Levo feels smaller, even tho the reach is a few mm longer 🤷🏻‍♂️

I guess it’s the new S sizing seat tube angle, putting me more over / on top of the pedals. I’ve already pushed my seat back on the rails, and I’m now considering a longer stem (currently stock 50mm), which I’d rather not do!

I think, I’d rather have an S5, for a longer reach to accommodate my long torso, and if it ever felt too long, I could push the seat slightly forward on the rails. I’d rather have a shorter (40mm) stem on the S5 if needs be, then feeling like I need to go longer (60mm) on the S4.

Today, I tested the -1° head angle adjustment, to get more slack for downhill, and I love it. It only reduced the BB height by 2mm, BUT it also reduced the reach by 3mm, which is going the wrong way for me!!

… I could put the adjustment the other way to +1°, as that would be a 6mm reach difference, but that’s not great for downhill riding!

So I’m back to thinking about the S5 🤷🏻‍♂️

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
I am 177 and caculated RAD of ~80cm. I ride a Levo Gen 3 S3 and I played with cockpit to shorten the original RAD (starting with a new 33mm stem).

A bit more than a year back, after having issues (stiffness) with one shoulder, I started to dig more on the sizing. So I discovered my old mtb was way too long (Mondraker Foxy R Carbon - size L) if following the RAD principles. Then I bought a Mccormack consultancy to buy a new frame following the logic of the RAD.... it changed my ride by a lot! I feel much more confortable in riding a shorter bike, especially when I need to manouvre the bike in tight places.

So when I went to market to buy an EMTB I had no doubt... I went for the S3!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles