Levo SL Gen 1 SL Comp Owners Thoughts?

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
My large carbon comp is just under 36lbs with pedals and fox 36, xt drivetrain and brakes and carbon wheels. No need for s-works.

Curious as to how you got it under 36 pounds. You must have some seriously light wheels/tires. No dropper?

I took the battery out for a few rides, only rode with the range extender. Could crank out some 15 mile rides with about 20-25% battery left. Lots of modified eco. Down to about 35 pounds without the battery, range extender adds 2.2 pounds to that. You can feel the difference on the trail, takes some getting used to. Bike definitely feels more nimble/maneuverable overall, but less planted on straighter high speed sections/rock gardens.

I've replaced just about everything on my L Expert. Some lighter, some heavier. On the light side - X01 cassette, derailleur, shifter, Next R carbon bars, Deity stem, Praxis carbon crank arms,WTB TI rail saddle, Roval Carbon w/350 hubs (carried over from the Hightower that I sold)

On the heavier side - Pike Ultimate, DPX2, 2.6 tires Butcher Grid Trail front Purgatory Grid rear

39.22# 17.79kg with XT pedals, swat tool, bottle cage, setup tubeless (no range extender)

Last edited:

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
Curious as to how you got it under 36 pounds. You must have some seriously light wheels/tires. No dropper?

I took the battery out for a few rides, only rode with the range extender. Could crank out some 15 mile rides with about 20-25% battery left. Lots of modified eco. Down to about 35 pounds without the battery, range extender adds 2.2 pounds to that. You can feel the difference on the trail, takes some getting used to. Bike definitely feels more nimble/maneuverable overall, but less planted on straighter high speed sections/rock gardens.

I've replaced just about everything on my L Expert. Some lighter, some heavier. On the light side - X01 cassette, derailleur, shifter, Next R carbon bars, Deity stem, Praxis carbon crank arms,WTB TI rail saddle, Roval Carbon w/350 hubs (carried over from the Hightower that I sold)

On the heavier side - Pike Ultimate, DPX2, 2.6 tires Butcher Grid Trail front Purgatory Grid rear

39.22# 17.79kg with XT pedals, swat tool, bottle cage, setup tubeless (no range extender)

Carbon comp, large, xt drivetrain, xt brakes, light bicycle wheels, I9 1/1 hubs, Fox 36 performance elite 160 mm, DVO Topaz 3 shock, Vittoria peyote tires, 2.35, sq labs bar, xt pedals, stock dropper Post and seat. The stock wheels and NX drivetrain are very heavy.

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
Yeah his bike would then beat out my sworks with enve 630 wheels with XC tires in my commute set up.
Pretty sure all bike scales we are using are from China so I have no confidence in accuracy. My 35.8lbs is for sure not your 35.8lbs. Even the overpriced parktool scales are just China ones. Not certified.
I used the park scale. The bike was 42 lbs stock on the same scale.

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
Mine is a medium showing between 15.8 and 16.7Kg on scales so I am Just telling him to not put all of his eggs in one basket if he’s wondering why weights don’t seem right. —We’re not using certified weight scales.
Is that with pedals and steerer tube tool? Mine is

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
Mine is a medium showing between 15.8 and 16.7Kg on scales so I am Just telling him to not put all of his eggs in one basket if he’s wondering why weights don’t seem right. —We’re not using certified weight scales.
And I’m more interested in the 6lbs weight loss than ultimate weight

SL-ED

Jun 14, 2020
Bay Area
Yeah. My bike scale shows heavier and my luggage scale shows lighter.
Exactly, that’s what’s important.
Today I’m finally putting on the 160mm fox 38 which adds a pound. But it’s a damn good pound. I’m so sick of that 34.

Yeah I'm really loving my Fox 38 170mm.. Love it so much I had to buy one for my analog bike

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I upgraded to Fox 36 and SRAM Code R brakes before I even picked up the bike from my LBS so i have no idea how the 34 rode with the guide brakes but everyone says the 36 is needed and better brakes needed given the added weight of the bike. I have ZERO complaints. I would also suggest upgrading the eliminator tires out back with butchers or minions. I do find the eliminators lacking traction. Next up is carbon bars (next week) from OneUp.
I dont understand why anyone would say it needs better brakes because of the added weight, it only weighs 8pounds more than a burly trail bike FFS. Thats only a 4% increase in combined rider and bike weight( assuming 200 pound rider and kit weight)!!

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Been running sram brakes for years now, proper fit and forget unlike crappy saints and xt.
Got to admit that - having got used to them - I really like the Guide REs on my SL, my first Sram brakes.

I have plenty of experience with Shimano and Magura, and the Srams want for nothing in comparison: they're definitely more about modulation than outright stopping power, but I like that.

Plenty of people seem to like the Guide Rs as well:

Last edited:

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California
Has anyone else taken the downtube battery out? Wanted to get people's thoughts and comments on their experience riding the bike after. I'll keep my thoughts to myself until i hear from others.
I have not taken the downtube battery out...yet. Pretty sure that my next move. I'll just use the range extender battery, since most of the time I'm riding unassisted and rarely use more than 20% of my main battery on my typical 2-hour ride.

Removing it is pretty straight forward:

Last edited:

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I have not taken the downtube battery out...yet. Pretty sure that my next move. I'll just use the range extender battery, since most of the time I'm riding unassisted and rarely use more than 20% of my main battery on my typical 2-hour ride.

Dont know for certain but I wouldnt think removing 2 pounds from the overall unit weight is going to make masses of difference. I have had my battery out and was surprised by its lack of mass.

Goodmango13

Jan 25, 2020
NY

Hey G....how easily does a 2.6 tire fit on the SL? I've been reluctant to order my SL simply bcz tech at Spesh said nothing bigger than the stock 2.3 is gonna work. thanks for the reply

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
Hey G....how easily does a 2.6 tire fit on the SL? I've been reluctant to order my SL simply bcz tech at Spesh said nothing bigger than the stock 2.3 is gonna work. thanks for the reply

I had a 2.6 Ground Control, and currently have a 2.6 Purgatory. Plenty of clearance, no issues. Running 22 psii.

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
I checked my park scale by weighing my weights. Within 1oz with 5, 10 and 20lb weights. So pretty close.

Waldolo

May 15, 2020
Vancouver

Yeah I did it a couple of months ago and have yet to put it back in. I'm been using the range extender whenever i felt like i needed a boost or need to get out for a quick lap. I honestly don't see a day when I put it back in. The only crappy thing of the range extender is having to carry your water bottle on your hip (currently looking to buy the RaceFace Hip Bag w/ hydration). I forgot how crappy it was to carry a water bottle on my hip before. Anyway, the removal is even easier than the video. Take off all 6 bolts instead and no need to take off the cranks. I bet now that i know how to do it, I can do it in under 20mins.

Waldolo

May 15, 2020
Vancouver
Dont know for certain but I wouldnt think removing 2 pounds from the overall unit weight is going to make masses of difference. I have had my battery out and was surprised by its lack of mass.
Might be placebo or might actually be a difference but I would say it's definitely noticeable. So much so that I wore elbow pads for 3-4 rides as I had 2-3 rides without the battery where my front tire was sliding out. I was used to riding with the downtube battery weight and with it gone, I must say that the traction wasn't what it had been because my body position was used to having that weight. I've adjusted now and no more elbow pads needed but I can pretty confidently say that it did make a difference.

Waldolo

May 15, 2020
Vancouver
Might be placebo or might actually be a difference but I would say it's definitely noticeable. So much so that I wore elbow pads for 3-4 rides as I had 2-3 rides without the battery where my front tire was sliding out. I was used to riding with the downtube battery weight and with it gone, I must say that the traction wasn't what it had been because my body position was used to having that weight. I've adjusted now and no more elbow pads needed but I can pretty confidently say that it did make a difference.
And i would add that i had a regular water bottle in the cage and not the range extender for the first few rides so it wasn't just 2 pounds net difference. It was probably closer to 3lbs.

Waldolo

May 15, 2020
Vancouver
Yeah I did it a couple of months ago and have yet to put it back in. I'm been using the range extender whenever i felt like i needed a boost or need to get out for a quick lap. I honestly don't see a day when I put it back in. The only crappy thing of the range extender is having to carry your water bottle on your hip (currently looking to buy the RaceFace Hip Bag w/ hydration). I forgot how crappy it was to carry a water bottle on my hip before. Anyway, the removal is even easier than the video. Take off all 6 bolts instead and no need to take off the cranks. I bet now that i know how to do it, I can do it in under 20mins.
I WILL say that I think the range extender battery drains ALOT quicker. I feel like i'll do a quick lap or two and i'll be close or completely out of juice from the extender whereas I felt when i had the downtube battery, i could do the same two laps and i'll still have 80%+ left.

Waldolo

May 15, 2020
Vancouver
I've found on fast berms, I lose traction. You think going Butchers on the rear could help?
I rode butchers on front and rear on my last bike (2015 comp evo Stumpy) both 27.5 tires. I had no traction issues. I had minions prior to that set and turns out it was probably overkill as I didn't notice any discernible difference traction wise after switching to Butchers.

Hugh-Jazz

Jan 15, 2020
San Marcos, CA
I was about to pull the trigger on the carbon comp, then I woke up and realized that my poor@$$ was about to spend another $1K for a 2 lb. weight saving...

I'll probably go with the alloy SL

What is the real weight difference between a carbon comp and the alloy?
My comp carbon (size large) and my girlfriend’s comp alloy (size medium) were at 2.5lbs lighter for mine. She has Saint pedals and I have XTR pedals. More or less 2 lbs lighter for the carbon frame.

Pan

Oct 27, 2020
Qué. Canada
Insight on SL for women Needed

I got a standard emtb (trek rail 7) and my wife feels a full emtb may be too much of a bike for her at 135 pound (61 kg). She is tall and would need a large. Wondering if with her lower weight she could get along and have same range as me with an SL and the smaller battry.

Any info on Dames on SL vs men on full 700a/h mtbs to be shared ?

Jilleride45

Nov 2, 2018
USA
Insight on SL for women Needed

I got a standard emtb (trek rail 7) and my wife feels a full emtb may be too much of a bike for her at 135 pound (61 kg). She is tall and would need a large. Wondering if with her lower weight she could get along and have same range as me with an SL and the smaller battry.

Any info on Dames on SL vs men on full 700a/h mtbs to be shared ?

Range is no issue at all on the SL. I had a Levo for 2 years 500wh and my husband had the 700wh levo. On he SL I can do everything the 500wh could do and more. With the range extender it is more like me on the 700wh. But for me to need a range extender you are really talking about more than 50 miles and 4000 feet of climbing. Remember also that the Levo SL has infinite tune so she can set it up however she likes.
I would say the Levo SL is the absolute best all around bike I have had ( have had tons) but if you are only riding the Rail in turbo it will not be a good match. The Levo SL really shines on single track and technical trails.
I am 56 female 115lbs 5’7” on a small Levo SL, about 2000 miles on it. Bought the week they came out. I also have a Creo SL for road.

Jilleride45

Nov 2, 2018
USA
Range is no issue at all on the SL. I had a Levo for 2 years 500wh and my husband had the 700wh levo. On he SL I can do everything the 500wh could do and more. With the range extender it is more like me on the 700wh. But for me to need a range extender you are really talking about more than 50 miles and 4000 feet of climbing. Remember also that the Levo SL has infinite tune so she can set it up however she likes.
I would say the Levo SL is the absolute best all around bike I have had ( have had tons) but if you are only riding the Rail in turbo it will not be a good match. The Levo SL really shines on single track and technical trails.
I am 56 female 115lbs 5’7” on a small Levo SL, about 2000 miles on it. Bought the week they came out. I also have a Creo SL for road.

Forgot to add that I have a comp carbon with light bicycle carbon wheels setup tubeless and bike weight ready to ride is 36 lbs.

Pan

Oct 27, 2020
Qué. Canada

Thanks for the info. So I understand that with the SL you essentially do the same range as your hubby on a 700wh levo ?. Would you share his weight ? I do not ride turbo much at all, motsly emtb lite mode, except for rare steep climbs.

another question, was looking at the alu model, would you recommend going to the carbon (cost/benefit wise) ?

Jilleride45

Nov 2, 2018
USA
Thanks for the info. So I understand that with the SL you essentially do the same range as your hubby on a 700wh levo ?. Would you share his weight ? I do not ride turbo much at all, motsly emtb lite mode, except for rare steep climbs.

another question, was looking at the alu model, would you recommend going to the carbon (cost/benefit wise) ?

Let me try and clarify. I am 115 lbs, husband 160 lbs. for 2 years I was on a Levo with 500 wh and he had Levo 700 wh. I could always go further than him, my settings were lower and I used lower settings but we always rode nearly identical speed. This year I ordered the SL when it came out and while waiting for it he decided he “needed” one (even though mine was a birthday Valentine’s Day gift, go figure). So now we both just ride SL, but we do all the loops we did before. For me the SL with an extender goes much further than I did before, and my husband says with the extender he goes about 700wh. You may go slower but overall not too different, really depends on how technical the trail is. I was really worried that I would use a lot more energy pedaling the SL but what I find is handling the bike is much easier that I am less tired.
I went carbon just to keep weight as low as possible and keep vibration down, and remember this was a present so heck go carbon. At 135 lbs I would go carbon and carbon wheels.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Don't know if this helps but todays ride was 33.6 miles, 2297ft climbing 3h 42min, reeeaaalllly muddy, rider weight 231lbs. No range extender.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles