Shockwiz or SMB Flow? I will be testing both

RichardHawes

Oct 11, 2020
Southampton uk
Well today i had planned to go out and refine the suspension set up on my 2021 Allmtn 7, well it wasn't to be after fitting both devices (shockwiz to rear and Flow to the front) I loaded the bike to go to a favorite part of the New Forest, it was so wet and muddy that any kind of speed was tricky, even the normally fast gravel sections had huge standing water, and without being able to see how deep or what was on the bottom they had to be done with some care. The Flow worked well having said that and suggested I didn't need to alter any settings on the forks, while the shockwiz failed to record properly, and as soon as i was back in the workshop it was working spot on, so may be something i did when setting it up before the ride. Anyway i will add to thread this once i get a chance to test them out properly. I have posted a short video on youtube of some of the ride; if anyones interested it can be found here

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've got a Shockwiz but it doesn't do coils, that SMB Flow looks interesting.

RichardHawes

Oct 11, 2020
Southampton uk
That is intriguing. Better than the ShockWiz! How would you define "better"?

As the shockwiz ap crashed and thus failed to record anything properly this makes the flow better as it actually worked, i will be going out again soon and try to run them both again. The Flow is simple to set up, the app is more straight forward, and it is easier to fit and calibrate. but i have only used it on the forks, and the shockwiz on the rear shock and it was an atrocious day.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You only need the ap to start the session and check the data afterwards. The set up on the Shockwiz is a faff though.

RichardHawes

Oct 11, 2020
Southampton uk
You only need the ap to start the session and check the data afterwards. The set up on the Shockwiz is a faff though.

yep that was the problem it downloaded the data from the shockwiz then crashed and wouldn't re download the data from the wiz, so no data on the phone or on the unit

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Neither. Work with a tuner who can set you up with a Motion Instruments rig for a day. ShockWiz doesn't really tune the "bike" - it only tunes individual components in isolation, and even then with a lot of "middling" to achieve good results.

Motion Instruments | Suspension Data Acquisition Systems

Or I use these suggestions that I've found to work on a number of X2-equipped bikes:

On your X2:

- Remove all air from the shock and cycle it a few times
- Make sure you only have 1-2 volume spacers in the shock
- Set sag to 25-30%, but while adding air, do it in 10 psi increments, and cycle the shock after each 10 psi
- Set LSC and HSC to *wide open*. Ignore manufacturers specs.
- Set LSR and HSR to recommended values
- Go ride. If it didn't feel "lively" enough, add 2-3 clicks of HSC and 1-2 clicks of LSC
- Go ride.
- Go ride.
- Go ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles