• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Shimano EP6 / EP801 with PearTune or SpeedBox

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Yes....LinkGlide 11 spd deraillure XT DI2 SHADOW PLUS RD-M8150-11, shifter SW-M8150-I and computer/display EN600.
The shifter is not absolutely needed, but I like to make manual shifts anyway.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
The eMax software can (on EP801 motors):
- set speed limit to 50km/h (or is it 60 ?)
- set power to max 600w
- adjust wheel size if needed.
- some other stuff.

I set it to:
- speed limit 32km/h.
- power max 400w.
- enable electric shifting.
- rear sprocket max ring size: 50

Yesterday I went on a 32km ride, and it completed and at the end i had 32% battery left.
Bike: Orbea Rise M20 2023, upgraded fork, wheels, steeringbar, pedals, battery to large.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
- set power to max 600w
- some other stuff.

I set it to:
- speed limit 32km/h.
- power max 400w.

Yesterday I went on a 32km ride, and it completed and at the end i had 32% battery left.
Bike: Orbea Rise M20 2023, upgraded fork, wheels, steeringbar, pedals, battery to large.
So you are using the latest eMax mobile app?
What does a license cost?

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
No....using the Windows version is step 1.
License is 119 euro (100euro plus VAT)

This is currently not a DIY job.....maybe in a later version.
The german (very friendly and very helpfull) tech needs to be connected to your PC via AnyDesk (free and no installation needed) and do his magic.
It takes a couple of minutes, and he will communite on your pc in Notepad.
You can follow his steps.

When this is over, I'm using the mobile version in the trails (version 2.40 currently)

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
No....using the Windows version is step 1.
License is 119 euro (100euro plus VAT)

This is currently not a DIY job.....maybe in a later version.
The german (very friendly and very helpfull) tech needs to be connected to your PC via AnyDesk (free and no installation needed) and do his magic.
It takes a couple of minutes, and he will communite on your pc in Notepad.
You can follow his steps.

When this is over, I'm using the mobile version in the trails (version 2.40 currently)
OK, so I need to get a PCE1 or PCE02 Shimano connect device?

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
Shimano warranty void if you derestrict.
Yes understood, any company that makes eMTB motor will void the warranty of their motor
If you de-restrict it. De-restricting to get another couple MPH/KPH shouldn't damage the motor, also Shimano specs the EP6/EP801 as a Class-3 (28Mph) motor in the USA.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
So with the exact same battery, software and motor here in Australia they are restricted to 25kmh, so in America 32kmh an hour is the speed limit so the Australian models could handle it easily at 32kmh without drama?
I am guessing, but I am sure that the EP801/EP6 motors are all spec and tested to handle 28Mph/45Kmh, speed limit is handle thru the software of the motor.

ggrin

Feb 11, 2019
Scotland
Any pirate upgrades void the warranty. I got replacement EP8 motor for half price a year after end of warranty but I had to return first, so they could check it hadn't been hacked.

paske

Apr 2, 2021
Belgium
- set power to max 600w
- some other stuff.

I set it to:
- speed limit 32km/h.
- power max 400w.

Wow, speed limit 32km/h, 32km ride and 32% left!!! Are you by chance 32 years old? :)

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
Hi, does it work with Ep801?
I have been using the PearTune module on my EP6 motor for about 200 miles now with no error msgs, once I get to 500 miles I will say it's works. With that said the EP8/EP6 are the same motor/firmware tune from what I have read, just cover material is different. EP801 has different firmware tune, so not sure if it will pickup the PearTune module.

luna87824

Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
I have been using the PearTune module on my EP6 motor for about 200 miles now with no error msgs, once I get to 500 miles I will say it's works. With that said the EP8/EP6 are the same motor/firmware tune from what I have read, just cover material is different. EP801 has different firmware tune, so not sure if it will pickup the PearTune mod ule.
What's the part number of the Pear Tune module you are using?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles