• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Derestricting Giant Stance E+ (Shimano) with Speedbox 2.1

zeKe

Jan 14, 2022
norcal
any one have any experience derestricting a Giant/Shimano (SyncDrive Sport) with Speedbox 2.1? I purchased one and I wanted to hear of what others have experienced.

- zeKe

Last edited:

Jdub

Jan 10, 2022
Valencia, Spain
Buying a used scooter if you want to go faster is cheaper than trashing a perfectly good bike by nuking the motor. Not a good idea. Besides, people that do this give a bad name to ebiking in general. Just sayin.

zeKe

Jan 14, 2022
norcal
If I nuke it it's my business (and it won't for the minimal amount that I would even use it as it wouldn't be constantly on) and how would wanting to have pedal assist beyond 25mph when on pavement (w/a 50lb bike) so it's not like I'm pedaling thru oatmeal "give a bad name". I was looking for more technical feedback from someone with actual experience. Been mtb'ing for over 30 years...Im pretty sure I have a grasp on things and have zero concerns. What am I supposed to do, strap my EMTB to my back and ride a scooter to the trailhead? 🤣 Thanks mate.

Last edited:

Jdub

Jan 10, 2022
Valencia, Spain
I can understand your frustrations with the cutoff when on asphalt. Unfortunately, until we have nextgen motors that can detect surfaces, I assume you will also be riding the bike on trails only meant for bikes, not motor vehicles. It then becomes not just your business but the business of others.. unless you're just riding on dirtbike trails, since you're effectively modding it into a pedal assisted dirtbike.

zeKe

Jan 14, 2022
norcal
Again, I don't use the de-regulator on trails in part due to the exact reasons you mentioned, but also because the only time I'm going over 25mph on trails is when going downhill w/gravity (gravity=no pedaling=no pedal assist) and riding at +30mph down a trail isn't uncommon. With that said, I've gotten a traditional full suspension mtb up to 46mph downhill on a paved road before..but I had to earn that. But I don't need (or use) the de-regulator on trails. Also, the argument against e-mtbs on trails (like in Soquel Demonstration State Forest near Santa Cruz, CA where they are banned) is because (and this is their explanation) it increases the number of riders as it wouldn't simply be those physically fit enough to ride using the trails now (these also tend to be more novice riders and are at times unaware of trail etiquette). It is this potential increase in usage that would impact the trail systems. Next, more than anything else the laws exist to create a deliniation between a "motor bike" vs. a "motorized bicycle" as the prior would require insurance, registration and a license plate. Introducing manufacturing regulations is a common legislative approach when it comes to things like this. So, unless I was on pavement it wouldn't even be turned on...beleive it or not there's actually a way to turn a chip-based de-regulator (like SpeedBox) on and off via the controller. Again, IT WOULD ONLY BE USED ON PAVEMENT...and I bike at high speeds on pavement when on my road bike on a regular basis. Folks should do a bit of research on de-regulators/de-restrictors; they should gain an understanding of the various use cases and familiarize themselves with the impetus behind the laws. Unfortunately, the viewpoint many have tends to be rather myopic and lacking of much actual information beyond the typical narrative. Finally, a de-regulated e-mtb is a far cry from even a pit bike...and there's no throttle to gas through berms which is what usually causes the most damage. If you personally don't like de-regulators that's fine...but step down from the soapbox and go start your own thread where those pros and cons and individual perspectives can be discussed...that definitely isn't the topic of the my post/thread. Cheers mate.

Last edited:

glovemtb77

Aug 2, 2020
Again, I don't use the de-regulator on trails in part due to the exact reasons you mentioned, but also because the only time I'm going over 25mph on trails is when going downhill w/gravity (gravity=no pedaling=no pedal assist) and riding at +30mph down a trail isn't uncommon. With that said, I've gotten a traditional full suspension mtb up to 46mph downhill on a paved road before..but I had to earn that. But I don't need (or use) the de-regulator on trails. Also, the argument against e-mtbs on trails (like in Soquel Demonstration State Forest near Santa Cruz, CA where they are banned) is because (and this is their explanation) it increases the number of riders as it wouldn't simply be those physically fit enough to ride using the trails now (these also tend to be more novice riders and are at times unaware of trail etiquette). It is this potential increase in usage that would impact the trail systems. Next, more than anything else the laws exist to create a deliniation between a "motor bike" vs. a "motorized bicycle" as the prior would require insurance, registration and a license plate. Introducing manufacturing regulations is a common legislative approach when it comes to things like this. So, unless I was on pavement it wouldn't even be turned on...beleive it or not there's actually a way to turn a chip-based de-regulator (like SpeedBox) on and off via the controller. Again, IT WOULD ONLY BE USED ON PAVEMENT...and I bike at high speeds on pavement when on my road bike on a regular basis. Folks should do a bit of research on de-regulators/de-restrictors; they should gain an understanding of the various use cases and familiarize themselves with the impetus behind the laws. Unfortunately, the viewpoint many have tends to be rather myopic and lacking of much actual information beyond the typical narrative. Finally, a de-regulated e-mtb is a far cry from even a pit bike...and there's no throttle to gas through berms which is what usually causes the most damage. If you personally don't like de-regulators that's fine...but step down from the soapbox and go start your own thread where those pros and cons and individual perspectives can be discussed...that definitely isn't the topic of the my post/thread. Cheers mate.
It's just amazing you ask a simple question and you get these really not bright holier-than-thou trolls that need to get a life always coming out of the woodwork🤣🤣🤣
I just sprung for Speed box 2.1 for my giant syncdrive sport have yet to install a how did it go for you?
Ideally I would like to use the Greenped module because it has a nice smartphone interface that none of the others do. I have been using the chainstay trick on my giant syncsport gravel bike build. Allows me to hang out with my buddies on our different tempo group Road rides. Throws a code error and has the red light occasionally but their programing is obviously re-entrant for that error code (much unlike all other e-bike manufacturers code that shut the engine off) so I can just keep riding with the engine at least running normally. Nevertheless, to have no codes if the speed box module actually works would be nice.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles