• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Shimano E8000 derestricting options

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
Hi Thanks, is the eMax (name in AppStore eMaxMobileApp) compatible with the latest firmware and all the features work with the latest firmware/sw? Can you pay also license with payment through AppStore?

The stunlocker you have to do a roll-back in firmware before you get it to work? Can you pay also license with payment through AppStore?

Certain features require you to downgrade to firmware 4.3.2, for both eMax and STunlocker. I believe you pay the licence directly to the developer, not through the app store, but I used the PC version so can't personally attest to that.

If you're happy with just changing the wheel circumference to change the max assisted speed, then you can use the latest firmware. If you want the correct speed on the display, and to tune each level of assist to different top speeds, then you need to downgrade to 4.3.2.

Last edited:

johncobbmail

Sep 10, 2019
somerset
hello could you just confirm what you used to derestrict you shimano steps in the end i followed for a while but cant find where you decided on

thanks

kre62

May 9, 2020
San Diego
change region to 20mph
and change wheelsize to:
(your genuine wheel circumference) X 0.621

Next switch the display settings to show in Km
the speed digits shown will now be your correct speed in MPH
(As will distance and Avg speed etc.)

Your motor will now assist to an actual speed of 32.1mph

THIS IS AMAZING!!

Works perfectly!

Such an elegant solution that doesnt require signal intercepts or hacks, or firmware downgrades.

Super happy you posted this.

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
THIS IS AMAZING!!

Works perfectly!

Such an elegant solution that doesnt require signal intercepts or hacks, or firmware downgrades.

Super happy you posted this.

Agreed, it truly is a genius suggestion. I was excited about it until I realized that it's only helpful if you want to know the speed in miles. Those of us who think of speed in kilometres can't be helped by this. Dang. Maybe I'll set the circumference to exactly half of what it actually is, so that I only need to double the number in my head.

One thing that did occur to me is to use the switch between EU/UK (25 km/h/15 mph) and Canada/U.S. (32 km/h/20 mph) as a toggle. Set the cirumference so that your normal cruising speed corresponds to the EU/UK pre-set. You can switch to North American pre-set when you're late for work and need the 28% boost to top speed. For example, with the right wheel circumference my cruising speed would be a max assist level of 35 km/h (21.7 mph), with a quick toggle to 44.8 km/h (27.8 mph).

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Is it possible to setup FW software:
1 - eco - 50%
2 - mid - 200% - max 15 mph
3 - max - 300% - derestricted speed

Which App would be best to achieve that?
You might wonder why bother? #2 would be for riding in town, where restriction should be observed and knowing myself, I would quickly forget.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
You can do this on E8000 with FW 4.3.2

Is it possible to setup FW software:
1 - eco - 50%
2 - mid - 200% - max 15 mph
3 - max - 300% - derestricted speed

Which App would be best to achieve that?
You might wonder why bother? #2 would be for riding in town, where restriction should be observed and knowing myself, I would quickly forget.

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
change region to 20mph
and change wheelsize to:
(your genuine wheel circumference) X 0.621

Next switch the display settings to show in Km
the speed digits shown will now be your correct speed in MPH
(As will distance and Avg speed etc.)

Your motor will now assist to an actual speed of 32.1mph
Just found this thread today, thats genius, 30+mph cutoff is more than enough for me!
Cant try it out for a few days but is this hack still valid today do you think?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes. I run exactly the above settings using Stunlocker on an E8000 with 4.7 firmware.
Assistance cuts out around 31-32mph but the E8000s assistance tapers off considerably at a cadence of around 120rpm which just so happens to be 32mph in top gear (36x11). You'll generally only reach that speed with the help of gradient anyway and in which case tucking and freewheeling is usually far more efficient than pedalling
There's a section of road on my usual daily commute where I'll generally hit 40mph every morning on my Eeb with mtb tyres fitted (inflated to high pressures). but I hit the same speeds there when I ride in on my normal roadbike. Also tucked and freewheeling.

Cosmicchris00

Feb 17, 2021
Uk
Yes. I run exactly the above settings using Stunlocker on an E8000 with 4.7 firmware.
Assistance cuts out around 31-32mph but the E8000s assistance tapers off considerably at a cadence of around 120rpm which just so happens to be 32mph in top gear (36x11). You'll generally only reach that speed with the help of gradient anyway and in which case tucking and freewheeling is usually far more efficient than pedalling
There's a section of road on my usual daily commute where I'll generally hit 40mph every morning on my Eeb with mtb tyres fitted (inflated to high pressures). but I hit the same speeds there when I ride in on my normal roadbike. Also tucked and freewheeling.

G'day

This all sounds really useful and I have a couple of questions if you have time to answer.

What equipment will I need to buy. E.G. SM-PCE device? cable to connect? etc.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
G'day

This all sounds really useful and I have a couple of questions if you have time to answer.

To run stunlocker, you just need an android phone or iphone connected by bluetooth to your bike and you need stunlocker. I think you need to upgrade to the full version to change the "region" .. it's only cheap.

Then change the region to US and you should have 32kph.

Cosmicchris00

Feb 17, 2021
Uk
To run stunlocker, you just need an android phone or iphone connected by bluetooth to your bike and you need stunlocker. I think you need to upgrade to the full version to change the "region" .. it's only cheap.

Then change the region to US and you should have 32kph.

That does sound really straightforward.

Do I not even need to change the firmware?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
That does sound really straightforward.

Do I not even need to change the firmware?
I don't think so .. As far as I remember it was updated to accommodate the latest versions. However, there was a "sticky" thread at the top of the Shimano section from vadll - who wrote stunlocker, so check in there for uptodate info.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
G'day

(assuming you have access to a smart phone) Nothing. Just STunLocker app with the paid License (£30ish)

Cosmicchris00

Feb 17, 2021
Uk
Very pleased with STunlocker.

I downloaded the app and then paid the additional c. £30 last night

Changed the region to US on my 4.8.0 firmware equipped mtb and then took it for a test ride this morning, achieving 20mph (on private land of course)

At the halfway point I reconnected the bike to the app and changed the wheel circumference settings to those recommended (i.e. 2300mm * 0.621 = 1429mm)

30mph + on test and an easy cruise home at 20 to 25mph into a headwind which would normally have limited me to 16mph restricted figure.

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Very pleased with STunlocker.

I downloaded the app and then paid the additional c. £30 last night

Changed the region to US on my 4.8.0 firmware equipped mtb and then took it for a test ride this morning, achieving 20mph (on private land of course)

At the halfway point I reconnected the bike to the app and changed the wheel circumference settings to those recommended (i.e. 2300mm * 0.621 = 1429mm)

30mph + on test and an easy cruise home at 20 to 25mph into a headwind which would normally have limited me to 16mph restricted figure.
It’s great isn’t it!
Remember you will use more battery though so if planning longer rides take that into account.

Smithy

Mar 22, 2021
Manchester
No idea mate.. The motor I used Steps unlocker with shat itself after only 7 weeks and @vadII wasnt interested in even a discount on anotyer licence for the new motor (same bike) so I went back to the peartune.
Fuck buying a new licence at full price every time I destroy a motor.
Just happens to me. Same app same issue.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm actually using Stunlocker again. But found the App was also not transferrable when I bought a new phone. so even had to buy the license free app twice.

I sort of get why Vadll does it this way but for someone like me who goes through multiple motors per year it's not so great.

Smithy

Mar 22, 2021
Manchester
I'm actually using Stunlocker again. But found the App was also not transferrable when I bought a new phone. so even had to buy the license free app twice.

I sort of get why Vadll does it this way but for someone like me who goes through multiple motors per year it's not so great.
Why didn’t you try something els ? Speed box.... I might just have to deal with 25km as I can’t be buying another motor

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you're blaming Stunlocker for breaking your motor it doesn't really do anything different than speedbox.

The reason I'm using stunlocker is firmware related

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Why didn’t you try something els ? Speed box.... I might just have to deal with 25km as I can’t be buying another motor
Could you explain how an app that allows YOU to change factory settings can break your motor? And please explain, if you changed the same settings using another app, would your motor break down or not?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I couldn't re download the app to the new phone from the store without paying. Its cool though. Your good work is worth it
It's because you tried to use a new Google/Apple account. It's not possible to transfer paid apps between accounts. It's a common store policy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles