• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Shimano E8000 derestricting options

Dude1977

Aug 14, 2019
Finland
Arrr cheers. Also if anything went wrong with my motor and I needed warranty. Would they be able to tell with this that I had specifically done something to void warranty?

Thanks in advance

I heard that license key is around 30€. So, it is not that expensive. I do not know if they can tell that adjustments are changed if you change them back to the original before the warranty check. I would guess that there is no backlog system in the motor and check shows only the current setup and status.

Noobster

Aug 12, 2019
Yorkshire
I heard that license key is around 30€. So, it is not that expensive. I do not know if they can tell that adjustments are changed if you change them back to the original before the warranty check. I would guess that there is no backlog system in the motor and check shows only the current setup and status.
Cheers mate.

And lastly is the key sent instantly once you pay? Just first time with a new e bike and don't want to instantly void any warranty. But because I also do use it for commuting I just want that 20mph limit.

Dude1977

Aug 14, 2019
Finland
Cheers mate.

And lastly is the key sent instantly once you pay? Just first time with a new e bike and don't want to instantly void any warranty. But because I also do use it for commuting I just want that 20mph limit.

My friend ordered the code and it was sent less than a day. But this is just what I heard. I have Peartune chip and downgraded firmware setup myself.

Noobster

Aug 12, 2019
Yorkshire
So I ordered the license and came back within 10 minutes. And now bike is in U.S mode and works perfectly. It makes the bike so much more usable. I'm not too fussed on making it any faster than the 20mph limit as it just feels right. I really don't know why they don't just let it be 20mph in Europe . I think it would genuinely make alot more people commute on them. All I hope now is that my motor stays fine and I haven't voided any warranty . That I am truly concerned about. On the app warning before doing it, it did not say about voiding your bikes motor warranty, just about only being legal on private land etc etc. It's not like the steps motor isn't designed to be limited to 20 mph because that's how all American ebikes are restricted to do.

Anyway very happy so far ??

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
There are loads of options to derestrict the E8000 motor and I'm unsure of what is best to use. I'd really only like the assist cut off limit raised slightly (Somewhere around 22mph would probably be fine)

in order of price I've seen .

V-max - chip that needs the E8000 wiring cutting and splicing - £45 German Ebay seller (not going this route)

Speed clip (looks like a badassbox clone) - £85 German Ebay seller

Badassbikes box - battery powered chainstay sensor mounted/removable - £130ish

speedbox - internally fitted chip with wired sensor to replace the E8000 chainstay sensor - £130ish

Pear tune - internally fitted chip no external sensor - £140ish

Software tuning via PCE-1 interface with Emax software - £300ish

I was keen to go the software tuning route after talking to @Tori about her partners E8000 de-limiting but didn't realise I'd have to downgrade the E8000 to a lower OS. (I noticed a dramatic change in performance when I updated my motor via the shimano STEPS app). Also it's incredibly pricy.

I don't really want to be cutting cables/wiring and am not keen on removing the shimano sensor or running another sensor to the chainstay.

So that leaves the Badassbox (and clone) or the peartune.
As I understand it these both simply trick the E8000 into thinking the wheel is turning at half the speed it really is by halving the signals from the wheel sensor.
now... Does this affect performance at low speed at all? or introduce lag when getting back on the pedals, or possibly even cut off the assist at properly low speeds/cadences?

any help greatly appreciated.

High Rock Ruti

The easiest and cheapest is to move the sensor on the chain stay lower swing arm and install a small bar magnet to the crank arm so that pedal cadence determines top speed govenoring. I have not modified my E8000 but have derestricted my 2019 turbo levo top speed on level pavement was 33 mph which is fast, however that's not the point, but having assist over 20 mph is fantastically usable. Just remember to remove the mods prior to servicing the bike.

Warm Regards

Ruti

How to easily derestrict Shimano Steps eBike with this hack Ride eMTB

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm not sure I agree with your definition of "easy" or "cheap" when what you've suggested wasting time doing doesn't actually work on an E8000 ;)

You've also quoted a question I asked well over a year ago. Things have moved on significantly with regards to derestricting most motors in that time.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts

an12dyw

Nov 6, 2019
Durham
I have just done my focus jam 2 with an app called stunlocker, get it from google play or like me from thee apple app store, Download it and bluetooth link it to your bike, If you have upggraded your firmware you cant get the speed setting setting on it to work unless you put a previous version of firmware on the bike motor, which they give you instructions on how to do it, once you put a previous version of the firmware on you can unlock the speed setting, that is 60km or a smidging of 38mph, that can be turned up or down 60kmh or 25kmh, or if you are happy with the us speed limiter speed which is 32kmh you can just use that setting which is 19.9mph, i will tell you the license to allow you to derestrict your bike is £32 pounds, and it 110 percent works ive done it

mneil

Nov 22, 2019
sutton coldfield west midlands
How much is it now?
I think I paid about €115
Sounds about right. All I'm interested in is the extra 7km top end that you get by changing the motor to US spec and still have accurate speedo readings etc. I use the Shimano app to change the power settings within reach section, ei eco, trail etc. I tend to lower the power in each and it feels less intrusive and a smoother applying of the assist, more natural. If that makes sense, also increases the range.

puma931

Nov 5, 2019
United Kingdom
change region to 20mph
and change wheelsize to:
(your genuine wheel circumference) X 0.621

Next switch the display settings to show in Km
the speed digits shown will now be your correct speed in MPH
(As will distance and Avg speed etc.)

Your motor will now assist to an actual speed of 32.1mph
Hi, can this be done with Stunlocker and E8000 with latest firmware?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Never heard of that one.
Just been tinkering with mineand dropped power again for more miles
Eco 55 assist 25 tq
Trail 70 55
Boost 80 60

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hi, can this be done with Stunlocker and E8000 with latest firmware?
No idea mate.. The motor I used Steps unlocker with shat itself after only 7 weeks and @vadII wasnt interested in even a discount on anotyer licence for the new motor (same bike) so I went back to the peartune.
Fuck buying a new licence at full price every time I destroy a motor.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
No idea mate.. The motor I used Steps unlocker with shat itself after only 7 weeks and @vadII wasnt interested in even a discount on anotyer licence for the new motor (same bike) so I went back to the peartune.
Fuck buying a new licence at full price every time I destroy a motor.
Markus at emax is spot on with this, new key sent no problem

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
EMax dont charge for a new code if you have the Shimano motor replaced: send a screen shot of the new motor info in their app and a photo of the replacement mtoro receipt/warranty, et voila!

It looks like EMax does let you set the max speed for each mode of assist, but doesn't let you change max torque, max wattage, and percentage assist for each mode. Is that correct? Any notion of what EMax costs for the service it provides?

I am looking at an E8000 bike with an E6010 screen. This combination isn't officially supported, but it's also not necessarily a definite no-no. The officially unsupported screens are all ones that came out after the E8000 motor, but the E6010 screen came out before the E8000 motor and has been used on several E8000-equipped bikes.

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
It looks like EMax does let you set the max speed for each mode of assist, but doesn't let you change max torque, max wattage, and percentage assist for each mode. Is that correct? Any notion of what EMax costs for the service it provides?

I am looking at an E8000 bike with an E6010 screen. This combination isn't officially supported, but it's also not necessarily a definite no-no. The officially unsupported screens are all ones that came out after the E8000 motor, but the E6010 screen came out before the E8000 motor and has been used on several E8000-equipped bikes.

Nevermind, it turns out that EMax does explicitly support E8000 motors with E6010 screens (though not over bluetooth, only over a hardwired connection, which is fine in my case). That's good news. :)

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
Hi, Just got the 2020 Decoy Pro Race. Have been looking at Planet 3 as an option, looks like there also are app’s that are able to derestrict, what’s the best app to do this? After reading this thread I’m a bit confused... ? have BLEVO app for my Levo. Are these app’s mentioned in here a bit more “dodgy”? Does these app’s leave traces that voids warranty? Can they be purchased in apple appstore? Or does it require other payments? Please give me your personal experience ?

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
Hi, Just got the 2020 Decoy Pro Race. Have been looking at Planet 3 as an option, looks like there also are app’s that are able to derestrict, what’s the best app to do this? After reading this thread I’m a bit confused... ? have BLEVO app for my Levo. Are these app’s mentioned in here a bit more “dodgy”? Does these app’s leave traces that voids warranty? Can they be purchased in apple appstore? Or does it require other payments? Please give me your personal experience ?

I've personally used eMax, and they're more expensive but they're as professional as it gets.

I have a co-worker who's used STunlocker, and it's much cheaper but with a corresponding reduction in customer service (this is not a slight, the author of STunlocker has acknowledged as much in these very forums).

In both cases you download/purchase an app, and then purchase a per-bike licence as well. IIRC, it's about 125 Euros per bike for eMax and 30 Euros per bike for STunlocker.

I don't think either eMax or STunlocker are dodgy, I think they're both reliable products that do what they do very well. In truth you're not de-restricting an E8000 motor, you're just changing the restrictions to something less limiting. But that's good, as you're not fooling the motor, you're working with it. It actually knows it's going 40 or 60 or whatever maximum you set it to, which is probably better for its long-term health than fooling it into doing something it isn't designed to do. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can weigh in, but it seems to me that these apps are exploiting the fact that the motor has these settings hidden away from the user (or had, as of the 4.3.2 firmware). Yes, if you're using a newer firmware then you're instead fooling the motor by lying about the wheel circumference. So despite the advantages of a newer firmware, that's not my first choice.

I can't promise Shimano wouldn't be able to tell in the case of a warranty claim. All you can do is set it back to factory defaults before sending it in and hope for the best.

Last edited:

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
I've personally used eMax, and they're more expensive but they're as professional as it gets.

I have a co-worker who's used STunlocker, and it's much cheaper but with a corresponding reduction in customer service (this is not a slight, the author of STunlocker has acknowledged as much in these very forums).

In both cases you download/purchase an app, and then purchase a per-bike licence as well. IIRC, it's about 125 Euros per bike for eMax and 30 Euros per bike for STunlocker.

I don't think either eMax or STunlocker are dodgy, I think they're both reliable products that do what they do very well. In truth you're not de-restricting an E8000 motor, you're just changing the restrictions to something less limiting. But that's good, as you're not fooling the motor, you're working with it. It actually knows it's going 40 or 60 or whatever maximum you set it to, which is probably better for its long-term health than fooling it into doing something it isn't designed to do. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can weigh in, but it seems to me that these apps are exploiting the fact that the motor has these settings hidden away from the user (or had, as of the 4.3.2 firmware). Yes, if you're using a newer firmware then you're instead fooling the motor by lying about the wheel circumference. So despite the advantages of a newer firmware, that's not my first choice.

I can't promise Shimano wouldn't be able to tell in the case of a warranty claim. All you can do is set it back to factory defaults before sending it in and hope for the best.

Hi Thanks, is the eMax (name in AppStore eMaxMobileApp) compatible with the latest firmware and all the features work with the latest firmware/sw? Can you pay also license with payment through AppStore?

The stunlocker you have to do a roll-back in firmware before you get it to work? Can you pay also license with payment through AppStore?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles