Shimano battery in frame 504w stuck and won’t release!

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Well done on sorting it, my lock broke as well, and l got a free replacement under warranty.

Fortunately l was still able to release the battery on mine.

eTK

Aug 29, 2021
NMpS
my BM-e8031 broke as well, the allen bolt would rotate all around and would not release the battery. this how i sorted that. i hope it will help future "victims" of this wonderful shimano engineering trap. i have unscrewed the battery cover / protector and start sliding flat objects between the battery and the upper moun unit to compress the latch. i have used a sharp pry to pry away the flat metal spring on the battery to create a narrow hole so the object could fit in. problem was all of them have been hitting the flat part of the latch.

flat latch.jpg

additionaly the blades would start twisting and bending upon pressure, i figured out i need something very firm with a bend at the end so that i would hit the sloping part of the latch and compress it. This IKEA fork have done the job sumpremely:
ikea fork.jpg

after the battery released i unscrewed the BM-e8031 upper mount releasing mechanism to find that the protrusion on the excentric part screwed on the allen bolt got broken. i have drilled and cut an M3 thread and put a bolt, whose head, although lower than the original protrusion, releases the the latch / battery when turing 1/4. untill i get a replacement part i have to be carefull not to overturn which would displace the spring, but i have a working solution before i get the replacement part:

PXL_20210827_192553707.jpg

kidsnare

Apr 30, 2021
Germany
my BM-e8031 broke as well, the allen bolt would rotate all around and would not release the battery. this how i sorted that. i hope it will help future "victims" of this wonderful shimano engineering trap. i have unscrewed the battery cover / protector and start sliding flat objects between the battery and the upper moun unit to compress the latch. i have used a sharp pry to pry away the flat metal spring on the battery to create a narrow hole so the object could fit in. problem was all of them have been hitting the flat part of the latch.

additionaly the blades would start twisting and bending upon pressure, i figured out i need something very firm with a bend at the end so that i would hit the sloping part of the latch and compress it. This IKEA fork have done the job sumpremely:
View attachment 70088

Glad I found this thread, it's the same problem I described here recently:

I tried your solution with the fork today, but to no avail. I managed to get the fork between the upper unit and the flat metal blade of
the battery (marked in red), but obviously I didn't get to push down that "tooth" to release it. Am I doing it wrong? Did you try more from the side?

IMG_8878.jpeg

eTK

Aug 29, 2021
NMpS
Glad I found this thread, it's the same problem I described here recently:

I tried your solution with the fork today, but to no avail. I managed to get the fork between the upper unit and the flat metal blade of
the battery (marked in red), but obviously I didn't get to push down that "tooth" to release it. Am I doing it wrong? Did you try more from the side?
you might not have gone deep enough. not measuring now, but its 5-6 cm, also make sure you have the bend facing the right side, that is bending towards the battery.

kidsnare

Apr 30, 2021
Germany
Oh my gosh, thank you internet. I now managed to get the battery out with the small fork.
I made some pictures to show exactly how far you have to go and how much bend the fork needs in order to clear the flat part of the tooth.

This is the fork, after I bended it even more than yesterday, it worked like a charm first try.
IMG_8881.JPEG

It's around 4,5 cm from that plastic nose to the flat part of the release tooth.

IMG_8882.JPEG

As you can see, the fork needs to have quite some bend to get past the flat part.

IMG_8883.JPEG

So now I have to unscrew the top bracket and reassemble the spring, rod and rocker, which are still intact.
Only the set-screw has been lost, but eTK replaced it with a normal bolt (M3?), so I guess that shouldn't be a problem.

IMG_8884.JPEG

I hope this will help everyone having the same problem, so they don't have to destroy the lock.

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
Oh my gosh, thank you internet. I now managed to get the battery out with the small fork.
I made some pictures to show exactly how far you have to go and how much bend the fork needs in order to clear the flat part of the tooth.

This is the fork, after I bended it even more than yesterday, it worked like a charm first try.
View attachment 70382

It's around 4,5 cm from that plastic nose to the flat part of the release tooth.

View attachment 70381

As you can see, the fork needs to have quite some bend to get past the flat part.

View attachment 70380

So now I have to unscrew the top bracket and reassemble the spring, rod and rocker, which are still intact.
Only the set-screw has been lost, but eTK replaced it with a normal bolt (M3?), so I guess that shouldn't be a problem.

View attachment 70379

I hope this will help everyone having the same problem, so they don't have to destroy the lock.
In your picture of where the hex key is inserted it looks like a portion of the that female “socket/ lock” is totally cracked off, Yes?

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
What an absolutely crap system.
with my ebike there was no leaflet / sticker / anything to tell you how to remove. I naturally turned the bolt anticlockwise, not much force either, heard a snap, and a tiny little piece of cast metal fell out.

lock seems to work ok but now I’m paranoid the battery will fall out / rattle / start not letting me get the battery out.

all it needed was a sticker showing 1/4clockwise turn to remove! Very bad user design...

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
with my ebike there was no leaflet / sticker / anything to tell you how to remove. I naturally turned the bolt anticlockwise, not much force either, heard a snap, and a tiny little piece of cast metal fell out.

lock seems to work ok but now I’m paranoid the battery will fall out / rattle / start not letting me get the battery out.

all it needed was a sticker showing 1/4clockwise turn to remove! Very bad user design...
Couldn‘t agree more… Especially that its an Allen key leads one to think it’s just ‘screwed in’; as you said if only there was a simple sticker showing 1/4 turn clockwise to release.. how hard is that!? :mad:

Lockey

Jan 14, 2019
Peterborough
Mine is broken too! I’m sure it was broken before I even touched it. It amazes me how these components even pass any tests before production.

Dave.B

Feb 13, 2022
Manchester
Same problem with my Nukeproof. 10 days old, first attempt to remove the battery, turned the bolt clockwise and it just goes round and round.

Dealer's response, "its broke". We will replace it at a charge of £70 but will fit it for free. Just posted complaint to the manufacturer see how that works.

But in the meantime a quick modification so I can charge & store the battery in the house.
IMG_20220213_142941.jpg

Drilled out and pressed pin in place, permanent thread lock paste added to be absolutely sure.

milfredo

Jan 12, 2022
Hertfordshire
Same problem with my Nukeproof. 10 days old, first attempt to remove the battery, turned the bolt clockwise and it just goes round and round.

Dealer's response, "its broke". We will replace it at a charge of £70 but will fit it for free. Just posted complaint to the manufacturer see how that works.

But in the meantime a quick modification so I can charge & store the battery in the house.
View attachment 82074

Drilled out and pressed pin in place, permanent thread lock paste added to be absolutely sure.

The Nuke proof website says to turn the bolt clockwise and this happened to mine first time! I didn't even need to remove the battery, I was just fiddling about.

Dave.B

Feb 13, 2022
Manchester
Nukeproof reply: "All issues with warranty will need to go through your dealer who should work with the distributor in order to have any issues resolved for you"

Shimano suggested to try another dealer, they might be more sympathetic.

How does this help?

Dealer not interested.
Bike sold, money in business account, thank you and goodbye.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Nukeproof reply: "All issues with warranty will need to go through your dealer who should work with the distributor in order to have any issues resolved for you"

Shimano suggested to try another dealer, they might be more sympathetic.

How does this help?

Dealer not interested.
Bike sold, money in business account, thank you and goodbye.
You could tell them that you're rejecting the bike as not fit for purpose? May buck their ideas up a little?

Dave.B

Feb 13, 2022
Manchester
You could tell them that you're rejecting the bike as not fit for purpose? May buck their ideas up a little?
Considered going down that route, but I do like the bike.
Also used my credit card for part payment to give me some wriggle room if needed for any major issue.
Would definitely like the release mechanism replaced as a matter of principle. As it's unknown as to how the damage happen would be prepared to pay 50% .

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
My Kona came from Winstanleys in the U.K. and they were really helpful, they sent me a complete new lock assembly when l reported mine was defective.

I haven't fitted it yet as l managed to repair the broken one.

image.jpg

Dave.B

Feb 13, 2022
Manchester
That's the sort of response I would expect from a dealer.
I'm about 15 miles away from Winstanleys Bikes, it's one dealer I have never visited.
The repair I made is working fine plus I made a copy just in case.
Just disappointed in the lack of support provided by the dealership.

Dave.B

Feb 13, 2022
Manchester
I went back to the dealer for more discussions on the "broken release mechanism", this time a positive response. As a good will gesture we will replace it F.O.C. The part has now been fitted & everything is spot on.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California

In my literature received with my Bullit it had instruction on the 1/4 turn, etc.. did yours not change me with that info?

thechanbara

Dec 7, 2022
Sheffield
A quick thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread! I've had exactly the same issue with my 10mth old canyon spectral and have fixed it by following the advice on here. To Canyon's credit their support was pretty good and they were happy to pay up to £100 to get the issue diagnosed by a local bike shop, took it to a usually very trustworthy EMTB shop but they couldn't get the battery out...

In the end a teaspoon handle did the job! Similar issue, grub screw had fallen out never to be seen again but I've replaced with a small bolt and all is well once more. What a poor design...

Thanks again everyone!!

quedwards

Jan 4, 2023
Cardiff
A quick thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread! I've had exactly the same issue with my 10mth old canyon spectral and have fixed it by following the advice on here. To Canyon's credit their support was pretty good and they were happy to pay up to £100 to get the issue diagnosed by a local bike shop, took it to a usually very trustworthy EMTB shop but they couldn't get the battery out...

In the end a teaspoon handle did the job! Similar issue, grub screw had fallen out never to be seen again but I've replaced with a small bolt and all is well once more. What a poor design...

Thanks again everyone!!
Was there any knack to this? Battery stuck in my Spectral:ON too and cant get it to release. Shimano Service Centre in Bike Park Wales can't get it out and I'm not keen on drilling into the mechanism if I can help it. What a nightmare.

kidsnare

Apr 30, 2021
Germany
No need to drill, a spoon will do - Look at my post from Sep 21 above. You will be able to release the battery within a few tries, trust me.

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
If you really get stuck, and I know you don’t want to have to drill it out… but, it’s really not bad at all. If you look back in this thread, I and others have exact details to safely get your battery out.

Last edited:

kidsnare

Apr 30, 2021
Germany
Thanks, still no luck with the spoon. I get it in 4.5cm can hear and feel the end hit something sprung and metal and nothing. No amount of wiggling will release the battery?
You are hitting the flat part of the „tooth“ that holds the battery. That means you need to give your spoon more bend in order to clear it. I know it can be hard to bend a spoon like this (unless you are Uri Geller), but it will work once the spoon bends down enough to get past the flat part. You can they to wiggle the spoon upwards, so the end of the spoon gets down more.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles