Shimano battery in frame 504w stuck and won’t release!

E-Bandit

Sep 1, 2020
Australia
Hey guys, just went for a ride on my Merida e one sixty ,got home and the battery won’t release? I put the alien key in and it just turns around? Any one else have this problem , any other way to force the battery out?

tschini

Mar 11, 2021
Switzerland
Hi I've a simliar problem with my 630wh Shimano battery in my Canyon Spectral ON. Did you find any solution? On my bike the allan key release is broken. I can turn it in both directions but it seems like something broken inside lock.

broken allan  key release.JPG

E-Bandit

Sep 1, 2020
Australia
Hi I've a simliar problem with my 630wh Shimano battery in my Canyon Spectral ON. Did you find any solution? On my bike the allan key release is broken. I can turn it in both directions but it seems like something broken inside lock.

View attachment 55380

Yes that was the same issue i had with my battery release mount, i had to use a small flathead screwdrive and pushed in in over the safety latch and pushed the locking latch up to release the battery, after i got the battery out i removed the mount as in the picture you supplied. with the mount out i found the allen key you turn pulls the latch up and a grub srew had become loose, after fixing this it has been all good.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I managed to snap the key in mine last week. Its like the keys are made of cheese.

Need to find somewhere thats open to get another cut now. I gave the lock a good dose of oil to try and stop the second one going the same way.

trollfarmer

Mar 25, 2021
Ukraine
Hi there! Guys, where I can get broken latch base listed on photo above? I bought used merida eone forty with broken latch base few days ago. When buying, I checked the suspension, engine, wheels, but due to the lack of experience with ebikes, I did not think that I needed to check the battery lock ... Now I need to fix it. The problem is the same as yours, the key scrolls, and inside you can see a stretched spring.

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ

View attachment 55380
My brand new Spectral ON CF7 seems to have same issue, did Canyon help you with this? I just got the bike today and cannot for the life of me remove the battery.

tschini

Mar 11, 2021
Switzerland
I actually didn't ask, especially since I would probably need to send it back (expansive since Switzerland is not in EU) and would be weeks without the bike. Since you're able to charge with mounted battery I just did so until I got the spare part.
Also Canyon support isn't known for their responsiveness;)
In the german E-Bike forum, one user asked Canyon and got a free spare part delivered.

philippe1

Sep 4, 2019
Genk, Belgium
My brand new Spectral ON CF7 seems to have same issue, did Canyon help you with this? I just got the bike today and cannot for the life of me remove the battery.
had the same problem . DONT use a normal allen key, you will use to much force and overturn the lock. Use the small key delivered with the bike, there is explanation in the manual that came with the bike, dont turn wrong direction. Try to push the battery back with one hand and than turn the key, to take pressure off the lock.

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
had the same problem . DONT use a normal allen key, you will use to much force and overturn the lock. Use the small key delivered with the bike, there is explanation in the manual that came with the bike, dont turn wrong direction. Try to push the battery back with one hand and than turn the key, to take pressure off the lock.
Uggh, afraid I’m past that, I tried with the key at first, wouldn’t turn, then I grabbed an Allen key. I think I screwed up... :oops:

philippe1

Sep 4, 2019
Genk, Belgium
Uggh, afraid I’m past that, I tried with the key at first, wouldn’t turn, then I grabbed an Allen key. I think I screwed up... :oops:
same here, the key turns only a quarter turn clockwise, i also overturned . I did manage to open it by pushing on the allen key, it keeps turning clockwise, slowly turn , feel the spring and hopefully by pushing on the allen key it might unlock. By overturning a very small blocking screw has come lose.

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
same here, the key turns only a quarter turn clockwise, i also overturned . I did manage to open it by pushing on the allen key, it keeps turning clockwise, slowly turn , feel the spring and hopefully by pushing on the allen key it might unlock. By overturning a very small blocking screw has come lose.
I can feel the spring resistance and the “key” stops after a quarter-turn but nothing, can’t get the battery out. I took off the battery cover and two small pieces of plastic fell to the ground, guess they’re from the lock. I’m still not sure exactly how I can get the battery out to replace that Shimano lock.

I believe I’ve looked over every piece of paper, manual, etc. and I’ve found nothing regarding the proper battery removal procedure relating to the CF7….Nothing about quarter turn clockwise, etc… all I’ve seen is a pic in the QuickStart guide showing the Allen key placed in the hole with nothing else, just says remove battery. I wish there would’ve been a warning, or something about what to do.:mad:

Can you recall exactly where you read about the procedure?

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
Thx for your help, got it done. I did it by drilling "into" the lock. Lock was definitely messed up inside.

View attachment 56064

View attachment 56065

View attachment 56066
Tschini, Is what you’re showing the hole you drilled (and then placed screw driver in this hole to release lock?) while the battery was in the bike to get it out? I took off the battery cover and two small pieces of plastic dropped out, it looks like the parts at the end of the lock barrel that broke in yours. Approx what size drill bit and how deep did you go?
I can turn the lock, feel the spring resistance and it only goes quarter turn but nothing happens. I’d love to find where in any of the manuals it describes just to turn that Allen key clockwise, quarter turn!?

philippe1

Sep 4, 2019
Genk, Belgium
I can feel the spring resistance and the “key” stops after a quarter-turn but nothing, can’t get the battery out. I took off the battery cover and two small pieces of plastic fell to the ground, guess they’re from the lock. I’m still not sure exactly how I can get the battery out to replace that Shimano lock.

I believe I’ve looked over every piece of paper, manual, etc. and I’ve found nothing regarding the proper battery removal procedure relating to the CF7….Nothing about quarter turn clockwise, etc… all I’ve seen is a pic in the QuickStart guide showing the Allen key placed in the hole with nothing else, just says remove battery. I wish there would’ve been a warning, or something about what to do.:mad:

Can you recall exactly where you read about the procedure?
When you turn the key, the battery falls into a second safety lock, then you have to push the metal part and the battery comes out. With the cover removed try to push this part down with a thin piece of metal

IMG_20210627_152917875.jpg

IMG_20210627_151245296.jpg

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
When you turn the key, the battery falls into a second safety lock, then you have to push the metal part and the battery comes out. With the cover removed try to push this part down with a thin piece of metal

View attachment 65392

View attachment 65393
Sweet, gotcha, Thanks. Now I’ve got to get Canyon or someone to send me that Shimano lock mechanism. (Even if I have to pay for it). I’m going to comb over all the manuals looking for directions on using that key, if I can’t find any I think I have a good argument that Canyon should send a free replacement? Thoughts?

philippe1

Sep 4, 2019
Genk, Belgium
Sweet, gotcha, Thanks. Now I’ve got to get Canyon or someone to send me that Shimano lock mechanism. (Even if I have to pay for it). I’m going to comb over all the manuals looking for directions on using that key, if I can’t find any I think I have a good argument that Canyon should send a free replacement? Thoughts?
the plastic part that fell out is where the metal pivot is turned with force beyond it's reach, mine broke off to, you dont need it, I then put the bike upside down(watch the display) and removed the mech, its very easy, and was the able to repair it, when removed you also get a good look how the mech works, i had to put the little spring back in place and tighten the small blocking screw (1 mm alle key i guess) When i remove the battery i always put pressure with my thumb on the battery(round the lock) to take pressure off the mechanism, the weight of the battery pushes against the mech and makes the release difficult

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
Philippe, I’m still stuck, removed cover, using small screwdriver it’s very easy to depress the piece of spring steel you’re showing me, in fact there is a small tab in a slot that’s visible after removing cover that you can move down with a screwdriver and that pulls the tab down. Still nada…. Do I have to depress something deeper?

Frustrated,

Phil W2GE

philippe1

Sep 4, 2019
Genk, Belgium
Philippe, I’m still stuck, removed cover, using small screwdriver it’s very easy to depress the piece of spring steel you’re showing me, in fact there is a small tab in a slot that’s visible after removing cover that you can move down with a screwdriver and that pulls the tab down. Still nada…. Do I have to depress something deeper?

Frustrated,

Phil W2GE
this is how it looks inside, in the middle the big tooth that holds the battery, the spring pushes the battery out, think you have to push deeper, maybe with a bent piece of metal or build something up in layers, its a small space between mech and battery i guess.

IMG_20210627_193747218~2.jpg

philippe1

Sep 4, 2019
Genk, Belgium

Frustrated,

Phil W2GE
Correction, took a closer look, the big tooth is the one that retracts when turning the key, you have to slide a thin piece of metal all the way trough to push it inwards, than it will release. The base off the batt holder sits on springs, so you have a little play, put two screwdrivers between the batt and the top holder to gain more space.

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
I see, so RE: your picture, For orientation I have to flip my phone upside down? I’m looking at the bottom of the lock mechanism attached to the top of the battery tube of the Canyon. So, remove battery cover, then slide thin flat steel past the first “tooth” towards the back and it should depress that second big “tooth” in the picture?

I have some thin flat spring steel that should be perfect I’ll give it a try. Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.
Phil

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l broke mine the day l got it, as above it's just 1/4 turn clockwise to release.
l managed to get a replacement mechanism but for now the original is working after l dismantled and straightened it.

The other thing is, the spring on the battery gets full of mud, well it does on my Kona. Then the allen key won't unlock the battery.

It's a bad design, so easy to break, and over complicated.

l solved the mud issue by putting a piece of black tape at the top of the battery cover.
image.jpg

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
I’m stuck, I’ve tried slipping a half inch wide, .025 spring steel piece and it hangs up, I’m pretty sure I’m up against the tooth. I’ve pulled it out and measured how far I got and it’s about maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of the battery thickness. I can’t get the tooth to move upwards to free the battery. I may end up drilling the damn thing but not until I can find a replacement somewhere. This sucks on a brand new bike.

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
Don't accidentally drill into the battery or you risk it exploding
I hear ya! Just got off phone with Shimano and they’re sending me the lock mechanism, Canyon was no help.. All they’ve done is send me a link to an online quick start guide showing how to turn the key to remove the battery. (Facepalm). Doh!

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
You've still got to get the battery out without doing any damage to the battery or bike.

I will take the cover off my battery later and see if l can figure a way to get it out.

w2ge

Dec 1, 2020
Voorhees, NJ
You've still got to get the battery out without doing any damage to the battery or bike.

I will take the cover off my battery later and see if l can figure a way to get it out.
For follow up,

Shimano sent me the replacement lock, free of charge! , it helped taking a look at it, and help me with depth and angles to drill. I used a step drill bit along with a right angle drill due to limited space between fork, 28mm deep gets you to the ”tooth” and an addl. ~ 2 mm made a little hole in the tooth so then I could slide an ice pick into it and it lifted easily, battery fell out and I was one happy guy.

In frontal picture, to the left you can see step drill bit I used, and little hole in tooth that I grabbed w ice pick. 28mm deep from initial plastic to the tooth.

Moral of the story: DON’T TURN COUNTERCLOCKWISE WITH AN ALLEN KEY. DO’H! :p

34BB58CC-6720-491A-A69F-4FC5D184CCBC.jpeg

D9954730-41E9-44BC-8D00-E339D92663B4.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles